X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Another option for a solid entry-level Grendel is to buy a complete OEM AR15 barreled frame with LPK, RET, buffer, recoil spring, BCG, basically a firing frame without any furniture on it.

You can get a Colt or Aero OEM AR15 for $499 to $739. https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...prod81838.aspx

Pull the 5.56 barrel and bolt and sell them. Aero uses BA QPQ Nitrided barrels, whereas Colt uses Mil-B 11595E 4150 steel with chrome lining. The Colt barrel, bolt, barrel nut, gas block, flash hider, etc. typically sell really well.

Check the receiver face for squareness, square it up if it's off.

Install your choice of 6.5 Grendel barrel/bolt combo from a proven supplier using the build techniques discussed here, paying attention to gas block alignment, gas tube alignment, torque specs, etc.

Add the furniture of your preference.

Top it with optics.

Feed it with quality Grendel mags and enjoy.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

I just saw your signature. This would be cool to package with your AR15 Build Box...
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Did some shopping yesterday. There were some parts that looked like a pretty good deal, but I wanted to check them out in person first. So on my monthly trip to Spokane I stopped by Axis Mfg. He has been stocking Trinity force for some time and said that they have about 100 rifles (either sold to customers or on their own builds) with this brand of gear on them. So far it has held up well. I trust these guys. They have a lot of repeat customers and can't afford to keep selling stuff that breaks. It's a fine line between "good deal" and "junk" and you have to experiment sometimes to tell the difference. Only two of the Alpha model collapsible stocks have broken, right where the roll pin holds the adjustment lever on which is kind of thin right there on that model. They were both grey colored as well. None of the black ones have broken and none of the other models have broken. They are thinking that it is something with the dye effecting the poly. I have no idea. But Trinity Force has been super responsive and shipped replacements right away as well as asking to see the broken units so they an figure out what is going on. Lesson learned is to not buy the Alpha adjustable stock, especially in grey. I have used their Omega model adjustable stocks before and I kind of liked them. Trinity Force looks to me like a Guntec type of company, but a little higher quality. Two of the items looked like definite winners.

One is the black rubber grip, and for $10-$15 it a good deal. I actually like it better than their more expensive grips. This has no storage compartment which I think is a good thing. It's better not to have one at all , then to have one that doesn't stay closed. This looked and felt just as good of quality as the name brand grips but for half the price. He said that they have been selling well and people are liking them. It is comfortable and fit my hand well. This is going on the budget build. http://www.omegamanufacturinginc.com...d-_p_2446.html

The second is the aluminum trigger guards. The shape on these is a little exaggerated, and may not please guys with big hands. But for me it fit well and it looks cool. Well worth the $6 for a nice aluminum trigger guard. This is going on the budget build as well. http://www.omegamanufacturinginc.com...RD_p_3002.html

The next item that I picked up to test is very interesting. It is a fixed stock for a carbine buffer tube. I've never seen that before. The jury is still out on this guy, but I like the idea. At about $25 it's a good deal. It looks to be good quality and has a nice rubber recoil pad and cheek rest. I'm going to try it. If I don't like it, then it is super easy to swap it out with an adjustable stock since the rest of the buffer assembly is all the same and doesn't need changed. His only complaint about it was that they are a little short for big guys. http://www.omegamanufacturinginc.com...ck_p_3730.html

I also grabbed an Aero Gen 2 stripped lower, an Anderson LPK and some Anderson 10 round 6.5 Grendel mags that I think are actually E-Landers. I should have the lower, except for the fire control group, completed today.

Now I'm waiting for BCA to get some completed uppers back in stock.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• basinman
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2017

The BCA uppers are back in stock now.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by basinman View Post
            The BCA uppers are back in stock now.
            Thank you!

I picked up this one. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca...5cm41618-p-shg

It's not a free-float but it is hard to beat for an entry level build. Also, they only had 4 left (now only 3). I'm keeping track of my costs on this build and it will be interesting to see what I can retail it at for the locals. I'm currently aiming below $500 retail for a kit with drop in trigger, Aero Gen2 lower (no slop between upper and lower) and some slightly updated furniture.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Sorry for the cruddy picture, but here is the lower minus the fire control group. A few thoughts:

* Installing the roll pins isn't too hard if you have the right tools. For a "kit" for the locals though, I think it would be worth upgrading the lower to the M4E1 which has a built in trigger guard and uses a threaded pin for the bolt catch. This would eliminate the need for vise blocks and roll pin punches. My cost difference between the M4E1 and the Gen 2 is only $30.

* The fixed carbine stock is pretty short. I like it, but I'm not a real big guy. With a 16" barrel it would make for a great brush gun or truck gun. I don't know how many people would actually like it that short though. It's almost like putting the collapsible stock all the way in to the shortest position. It doesn't rattle and feels very solid though. I need to finish this and play with it some more to decide. When it's complete, I'll have some friends try it out and get feedback. If I can get a good enough deal on them, I would offer both the Omega collapsible stock as well as this one.

Budget Lower.jpg
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

Got everything transferred to the M4E1 lower and the adjustable Omega stock installed. The upper won't be here until the 19th. I still need to buy the trigger and am currently undecided as to which one. My other Grendel has the Rise Armament trigger in it which is nice, but it is not as nice as the Velocity or some of the other triggers. The only thing is, I know that the Rise trigger works well and I can get them for under $100 wholesale.

budget build.jpg
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Ed Baker
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

LRRPF52,

That's exactly what I did with my 1st Grendel. It has worked out very well. I have used it to kill 2 deer so far this year and really like the rifle/cartridge combo.

Ed

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

Ordered my triggers. This morning in my inbox was an add from Delta Team Tactical for the Rise triggers on sale for $82 each. So I ordered two and got free shipping. The total was $162 delivered for two nice triggers. I'm glad that I waited.
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

Well the triggers came in yesterday and the upper came in today. I still have to figure out all the costs.

Budget Grendel.jpg
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Retail on this for the local guys would be $480 including one E-Lander magazine.

Upgraded parts are:
                        • Rise Armament drop in trigger
                        • Trinity Force 6 position stock with two QD mount points, recoil pad and sling slot.
                        • Trinity Force rubberized grip
                        • Aero M4E1 lower (no slop between the upper and the lower)

It's supper easy to assemble as well. The Aero lower basically goes together with out roll pin punches and the Trinity Force stock is easier to install than a mil-spec style. It has a keeper that you remove and the stock just slides right on.

I have a couple of them coming over in a few minutes, so the timing is good.
                        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                          Well the triggers came in yesterday and the upper came in today. I still have to figure out all the costs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10509[/ATTACH]
                          It looks really nice. What are you planning for sights?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2017

Well, for this one I was open to trying out a few new options based upon another thread.

I'm in the market for a new scope on an 18" AR pattern Grendel. I have read every thread that I can find. I've determined two things: 1) There are quite a few individuals here that seem quite knowledgeable regarding scope selection. 2) Weaver and SWFA seem to be of reasonable quality for the price. I know I want to

This being a budget build and the gun only costing $480 retail, you can see why I want to keep the optics cost low.

Otherwise I was looking at a Redfield 2-7X33 with an inexpensive but solid mount.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

I have been following the Optics Advice thread you posted so I know you mentioned the Redfield has a lifetime warranty and good customer service.
                              If you are happy with the Redfield performance then you are the best judge. More expensive scopes would obviously be better.

I was reading the reviews for this mount from the same company as the one you cited and several people said these look identical to the Vortex mount without the Vortex symbol. https://www.amazon.com/OpticsSolutio...DGEPSB41NWmbol.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                                This being a budget build and the gun only costing $480 retail, you can see why I want to keep the optics cost low.

Otherwise I was looking at a Redfield 2-7X33 with an inexpensive but solid mount.
                                I love the Redfield 1.75-5x Widefield I bought new in '79. Still perfect after being mounted on a half-dozen different rifles.

But I'm planning on buying one of these: http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...pes/grandslam/
                                Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36. Offered with 3 different reticles at retail from $573 to $591. Reviews have been good. http://www.randywakeman.com/WeaversB...andSlam2_8.htm

But how can Natchez sell them for $190-$230??? https://www.natchezss.com/catalogsea...%20slam%202-8x
                                That's almost $400 off!?
                                Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-21-2017, 05:12 AM.
                                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
                                X