• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
    I have found CFE an easy powder to use.Pressures build very evenly with 123 gr. bullets,the only bullets I have used with this powder so far averaging 26 fps increase per .3 grs.My Howa for some reason does not prefer CFE as for accuracy is much better with other powder.
    what about temp sensitivity. I am tempted to try this powder as it would work well in both the 6.5 grendel and 308 but I worry if I work up a load at 40 degree's it will be over pressure at 70 and if I do it at 70 and hunt in 20 degree's my zero will be way off? I have read from a couple sources that its 1.7 fps per degree in change for cfe 223, thats a lot more than say 2000 mr which is just under 1 fps per degree.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
      what about temp sensitivity. I am tempted to try this powder as it would work well in both the 6.5 grendel and 308 but I worry if I work up a load at 40 degree's it will be over pressure at 70 and if I do it at 70 and hunt in 20 degree's my zero will be way off? I have read from a couple sources that its 1.7 fps per degree in change for cfe 223, thats a lot more than say 2000 mr which is just under 1 fps per degree.
      You can manage these results with your rifle and see how it will do. From what I have learned, it is not so much ambient temps as it is ammo temp.

Put 3 rounds in a cooler with ice in it, 3 rounds sitting in the sun on a 60 degree day with no wind, three more sitting in the shade and you will get 3 very different average velocity readings.

I've already experienced this with some rounds at a rifle match. I had a magazine loaded with the 6 rounds that I needed and sitting in my dump pouch with my back to the sun (so was the dump pouch). I was the last one to shoot that stage and when I grabbed my magazine, it was pretty darn warm for a 65* afternoon. I was hitting high on all the shots past 500, where the stage before I was on center with ammo freshly pulled out of the insulated depths of my backpack.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
      X