• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

The new Horde range report

New additions to the GF's household. Will be officially adopted on Xmas.

The Mother is the top left. Howa 20" HB barreled action. Boyds Pepper AT-One stock, piller and accra glass bedded. Warne 20 MOA bedded rail, Badger Ordnance Maximized steel scope rings, lapped. Vortex Viper PST FFP Mrad EBR2c. Knock off Atlas bipod and custom rail mounted with QD sling swivel mount. Gamma 6.5 Muzzle brake. Barrel threading done locally. The sling (not pictured) is an Alien TACS in gray.

Break in for all three was fire one round, clean, repeat 10x, then fire 2 rounds, repeat 5x. First shot is marked and taken at 25 yards then moved out to 100. This was a long tedious venture for all 3, so the last 4 rounds were shot all together at a different target to get a velocity average. These are all round robin groups. Shoot, clean, then next in line. Teething food was Hornady Black 123, then were given a taste of American Eagle 120 OTM, and Horandy American Gunner 123 OTM.

The following is the break in target. First 6 rounds were scope sighters then taped for a 10 round group.

Series 2 Shots: 4
    Min 2469 Max 2489
    Avg 2476 S-D 8.8
    ES 20
    Series Shot Speed
    2 1 2477 ft/s
    2 2 2469 ft/s
    2 3 2472 ft/s
    2 4 2489 ft/s
    ---- ---- ---- ----

The Eldest Daughter (16) bottom right. Howa 20" HB barreled action. Boyds Blackjack AT-One stock, piller and accra glass bedded. Warne 20 MOA bedded rail, Badger Ordnance Maximized steel scope rings, lapped. Vortex Viper PST FFP Mrad EBR2c. Knock off Atlas bipod and custom rail mounted with QD sling swivel mount. Gamma 6.5 Muzzle brake. Barrel threading done locally. The sling (not pictured) is an Alien TACS in gray.

Little concerned with the scope. Will find out more when we go to longer ranges. First shot was low left. Moved to 100, and the second shot was the high right. I would have been OK with being high, but the way to the right as much as I had to adjust for left is worrisome.

Series 5 Shots: 4
    Min 2461 Max 2490
    Avg 2481 S-D 13.4
    ES 29
    Series Shot Speed
    5 1 2490 ft/s
    5 2 2487 ft/s
    5 3 2461 ft/s
    5 4 2486 ft/s
    ---- ---- ---- ----

The Youngest Daughter (13) bottom left. From an earlier thread, as far as I know this is the first Howa 6.5 Grendel released into the wild. Howa 20" HB barreled action, accra glass bedded (whole lot of movement on this one). Luth MBA3 stock (really nice, put one on my 16" middy), Houge grip. Warne 20 MOA bedded rail, Badger Ordnance Maximized Alloy scope rings, lapped. Vortex Viper PST FFP Mrad EBR1. Knock off Atlas bipod with QD sling swivel mount. Gamma 6.5 Muzzle brake. Barrel threading done locally. The sling (not pictured) is an Alien TACS in gray.

Series 8 Shots: 4
    Min 2430 Max 2450
    Avg 2441 S-D 8.9
    ES 20
    Series Shot Speed
    8 1 2439 ft/s
    8 2 2450 ft/s
    8 3 2447 ft/s
    8 4 2430 ft/s
    ---- ---- ---- ----
    This barrel seems to be running a little slower than the other two. Will have to keep an eye on her.

All three shot the American Eagle and American Gunner really well. I did not focus too much on accuracy on those since the Magneto speed does a POI shift. All three still printed 1.25 or less groups. The Mother was closer to .5 MOA on the HAG whereas the ELD was closer to 1"+.

Going to be an interesting Xmas morning.
    Last edited by Sticks; 12-04-2017, 10:15 AM.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Now that is a range report !. Congrats Sticks! A2

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Nice presents. They should be very happy.

Howa included an insert in the box with mine for the breakin procedure you described, which I followed with mine.

Comment

• Nodak
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Would love to see the picture of it but it's not coming through. Maybe once I get off my phone and on my tablet.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Yowza!! A howa family...
          Bet you're one proud Poppa!
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Nodak View Post
            Would love to see the picture of it but it's not coming through. Maybe once I get off my phone and on my tablet.
            You are the third one having issues. Odd. Try clicking on Menu and selecting full web version. I've had to do that upon occasion when using the GF tablet or on my phone.

Thank you all for the comments. Was an enjoyable project sourcing all the parts and doing the bedding.

GF is the single mother of 2, and funds are tight, always been tight. First time I took them out to a movie, it was a large popcorn to share and large drinks for all, which brought a weird reaction. They always just shared the drink as well. They will have to feed the additions to the family, but there is no way they could ever afford to get into this sport - which they have expressed a great interest when they have gone out with me.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Nodak
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Just tried on my tablet both ways. No dice. It sounds cool though. I've always wanted a 204 and have considered a Mini in that but only kind I like is the HB and a 20" may be lacking some velocity which that carting thrives on. I'll need to look closer at that. Anyway. I'd do almost same thing you did in 204. My 6.5 got a LSS setup last spring.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Ooops, so sorry, my bad... totally missed the GF designation/meaning thing. Anyway, you must be one proud builder!
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• xlcc
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2016

All I can say is....WOW!

Comment

• Nodak
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

I can see now. Sweet gun list. Nice nice nice.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Update on the Eldest Daughter - Shot a .745 MOA with Hornady American Gunner, under the hands of The Mother (her first time shooting 6.5 Grendel, bolt gun, second time ever with rifle).

That makes two of the new family will be good shooters.

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Can't see today's photo. Just a minus symbol in a circle.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          Update on the Eldest Daughter - Shot a .745 MOA with Hornady American Gunner, under the hands of The Mother (her first time shooting 6.5 Grendel, bolt gun, second time ever with rifle).

That makes two of the new family will be good shooters.

I can normally see your photos but just a very small square symbol appeared, just on this one post. FWIW!

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

So weird. Photos seem to be hit and miss. Thought I had to run them through Adobe first - which this one was.

Untitled 6.jpg
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2015

Sticks,

Awesome! A2

Comment

Working...
                              X