• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hornady SST 123 Thru and Thru on 265 lb Boar

This was a bit of a surprise. I shot a large boar through the shoulder and it exited the opposite shoulder. It isn't uncommon for the SST to pass completely through hogs up to 200-225 lbs in size, but this was a much larger boar.

Basically, the bullet went through hair, skin, an inch of shield, muscle, shoulder blade, muscle, rib and somewhere around here probably started coming apart. As it ruptured lung and such, punched out opposite rib, going through muscle, clipping the cartilage on the forward edge of the shoulder blade, muscle, 3/4" shield, skin and hair. Strangely, the entry side damage was much more significant than the exit damage and it appears only a fragment passed all the way through. I did not gut the hog to look for fragments.

The boar was DRT despite no direct impact to the spine that I could feel when probing the wound channel.

Here is the video. It includes a small analysis on the POA versus POI on a moving target. The hog didn't look to be that big or moving that fast, just walking through a field, but at 130 yards, the POA was going to still move away from the bullet's flight...

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Looked like he was out for a Sunday stroll. DNS what do you do with said piggies after you remove them from the properties? If you don't mind me asking.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Don't mind at all. On my place and several of the places I hunt with Dave (who is mentioned in several of my vids), we have designated bone yards for the carcasses. On my client properties right now, all will allow me to let the carcasses lay where I shoot them. On most, I am to slice open the carcass to facilitate buzzard and coyote reduction. On one place, I can let them lay, but inform the landowner of the location and he collects them with the tractor and deposits them in the boneyard for me. If the carcass is in a bad place or in a field that I know will be cut or harvested soon, I will drag it to the fence line so that it isn't hit by the tractor or caught in the harvesting mechanism.

I used to give away hogs and still will when people want them, but finding appreciative people is sort of tough. Apparently, people don't want a free hog at 2:30 in the morning, but could I just gut it, butcher it, bag the meat and leave it in an ice-filled cooler on their porch? It is a shame to let so much go to waste, but at the same time, proper butchery is a lot of work to give away meat to folks who don't want to be disturbed.

Sometimes I hunt with folks who want the meat and we will usually take backstraps and hams, and on a good night, get them straps and hams from several hogs. Many hands make light work and the work goes pretty quick and everybody ends up happy.

Comment

• jackwagon
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
        Don't mind at all. On my place and several of the places I hunt with Dave (who is mentioned in several of my vids), we have designated bone yards for the carcasses. On my client properties right now, all will allow me to let the carcasses lay where I shoot them. On most, I am to slice open the carcass to facilitate buzzard and coyote reduction. On one place, I can let them lay, but inform the landowner of the location and he collects them with the tractor and deposits them in the boneyard for me. If the carcass is in a bad place or in a field that I know will be cut or harvested soon, I will drag it to the fence line so that it isn't hit by the tractor or caught in the harvesting mechanism.

I used to give away hogs and still will when people want them, but finding appreciative people is sort of tough. Apparently, people don't want a free hog at 2:30 in the morning, but could I just gut it, butcher it, bag the meat and leave it in an ice-filled cooler on their porch? It is a shame to let so much go to waste, but at the same time, proper butchery is a lot of work to give away meat to folks who don't want to be disturbed.

Sometimes I hunt with folks who want the meat and we will usually take backstraps and hams, and on a good night, get them straps and hams from several hogs. Many hands make light work and the work goes pretty quick and everybody ends up happy.
        Seems to be the way anymore with some people, guess your lucky they didn't ask you to cook it for them too.

Comment

• Earl Keese
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2017

What precautions do you take in regards to safe handling of carcasses and also meat for consumption? I have two buddies that have invited me pig hunting(never been). One won't touch them at all, the other doesn't seem concerned and doesn't even wear gloves.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

They're pigs, not radioactive zombies.

We've always treated them exactly like deer as far as handling and cleaning go. Get them dressed and cooled as quickly as possible and you'll be fine.

They're tasty.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

I don't mind handling non-bloody parts with regular work gloves. However, I keep a baggy of nitrile gloves with me, particularly for necropsy work, but also for basic handling as the hogs are often bloody. I also keep a pack of antibacterial wipes in the truck to wash my hands with when I am done, wipe off my phone, etc.

People worry that pigs carry a lot of diseases. I know guys who are deathly afraid of pigs and will double glove when butchering, but will butcher a deer with hands unprotected. ALL North American game carries zoonotic disease/bacteria/parasites. So I would argue that the risk from pigs is no better or no worse than from deer, coyote, squirrel, or bison...broadly speaking. You aren't safe from any of them.

Buy a box of nitrile gloves (such as from Amazon). It will be about $15. Buy a size up from what you are so that they will go on more easily if your hands are sweaty or wet. I get the 9 mil version in XL and $15 will get you 90 gloves. They are a little thicker and hold up better than the thinner gloves, but no so thick that I can't work the touch screen on my phone. They are also great for wearing when you clean guns or work with other chemicals. In short, you won't be wasting your money.

I also keep a couple of water bottles in my truck door. One holds soapy water for washing hands or washing off knives. The other has plain water for rinsing.

In the grand scheme, I am not very worried about getting some sort of infection from the blood, but the consequences could be really bothersome if I do. So I try to limit contact with blood as much as possible.

For consumption, bag your meat and get it on ice ASAP. Then, be sure to cook it fully and properly.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2017

Thanks for the detailed reply, makes sense to me. I always have a box of nitrile gloves on the bench and in the truck.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

In Ohio, if you live in the central section and hit a deer on the road (happens too often) the Highway Patrol will take the carcass to the local prison kitchen. Convicts get deer meat that night. At least that's what I've heard.

Been watching tons of Texas hog-hunting videos and heard two things: there is a dog food factory that will buy fresh hogs (Lone Star Boars video?) and an orphanage somewhere that takes them. Sorry, no other details.
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

Let's see..... 2:30 am there is 3:30 here. I'd be up in another hour anyway. Drop off a couple. I'll meet you in the driveway.

Feral hogs are just making their way into some parts of NY along the PA border. But they're protected. The state Environmental Conservation is concerned that if people shoot them, that will cause them to disperse and infect a larger area. I guess in a few years after they find out their plan isn't working and we are being over run, the thinking might change.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                      In Ohio, if you live in the central section and hit a deer on the road (happens too often) the Highway Patrol will take the carcass to the local prison kitchen. Convicts get deer meat that night. At least that's what I've heard.

Been watching tons of Texas hog-hunting videos and heard two things: there is a dog food factory that will buy fresh hogs (Lone Star Boars video?) and an orphanage somewhere that takes them. Sorry, no other details.
                      It is illegal under Texas law to provide killed feral hogs for public consumption, such as a food shelter. They are regulated like live domestic hogs which means they must be inspected before slaughter, and after, to be sure they are fit for human consumption. So hog doggers and trappers can make $ off of selling hogs for public human consumption, but dead hogs are a no-go.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Processor I used for years would take them and you pay half processing fee (tax deductible receipt) meat goes to local food bank with understanding it is feral pig. I have donated quite a few this way. Know the ladies that run the local food bank and they know the ones that want the pork and sometimes line it up with some of them to take field dressed to them and they handle it from there. If not buzzards and worms have to eat too,

Another good video DNS

Comment

Working...
                        X