• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Rattle can builders set

Decided to build a hunting rifle with my Black Friday $49 BCA 16'' barrel. Since I have leftover /take off parts from my other 3 builds there isn't really to much to buy, just a few alterations.

Checkmate 15'' keymod rail that I got off ebay, the rail itself is nice, but the finish was terrible.
    Anderson complete upper receiver with an 80% lower.
    Since I didn't think I could make it look any worse than it already was I decided to try a rattle can treatment. What do you think?

full disclosure.... I haven't hunted in 30 years, but DNS videos are making me think about it!!

So what do you think?100_3162 (800x600).jpg100_3161 - Copy (800x600).jpg
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Looking good! What colors and kind of rattle can did you use? What did you use for a stencil?

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

Heck ya!! Very nice! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jackwagon View Post
        full disclosure.... I haven't hunted in 30 years, but DNS videos are making me think about it!!
        Ha, I can relate! Shot a rabbit in '79 and haven't hunted since.
        But retirement and hog hunting videos and proximity to a couple million hogs in Texas got me fired up to build my first AR (6.5 naturally) and give it (them) a shot.

I understand there are feral hogs in southern Ohio, any over your way?
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• jackwagon
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
          Looking good! What colors and kind of rattle can did you use? What did you use for a stencil?
          I used Rust-oleum camo. 2 solid coats of khaki/fde , then placed it in a .99cent mesh laundry bag and just started painting angled slash lines with
          black-od green and more khaki.Followed that up with 3 coats of clear matte.

Comment

• jackwagon
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
            Ha, I can relate! Shot a rabbit in '79 and haven't hunted since.
            But retirement and hog hunting videos and proximity to a couple million hogs in Texas got me fired up to build my first AR (6.5 naturally) and give it (them) a shot.

I understand there are feral hogs in southern Ohio, any over your way?
            I have shot a couple of groundhogs since then, but that's not really a HUNT.
            No wild piggies that I have seen, I am about 1 mile south of the MI state line, I would imagine they have some in southern IN.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

I've done a fair bit of rattle can on guns in that past. The best thing you can do for it is once it is finished, put it away and don't touch it for at least 2 weeks, maybe a month. While you can handle it with a day or so, spray paint can take a long time to fully cure good and hard. If you let it fully cure it'll be almost as good as some of the really expensive finishes for resisting scratching and marring. You just got to make sure to keep the oils and solvents away from it.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

I've done a number of multicam rattle can jobs now, all of which have held up remarkably well, some for years of practical shooting with no more than a few chips. The matte clear coat is key; you'll be glad you added that step for both a more finished feel and durability. Here's one example:

20160930_171508(1).jpg

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

I used Rust-oleum camo. 2 solid coats of khaki/fde , then placed it in a .99cent mesh laundry bag and just started painting angled slash lines with
                  black-od green and more khaki.Followed that up with 3 coats of clear matte.
                  Thanks for the info! I really like the color combo. I thought that might be a laundry bag, I did that on an ammo can I have as a test, I like how it turned out on your rifle!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I would coat it with Matte Texture clear to take the sheen off a bit.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jackwagon
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                      I've done a number of multicam rattle can jobs now, all of which have held up remarkably well, some for years of practical shooting with no more than a few chips. The matte clear coat is key; you'll be glad you added that step for both a more finished feel and durability. Here's one example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10336[/ATTACH]
                      I like it.. Now you used stencils for that rifle correct?
                      Last edited by jackwagon; 12-04-2017, 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• jackwagon
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        I would coat it with Matte Texture clear to take the sheen off a bit.
                        Its funny because before you apply the matte the finish looks very chaulky. The matte really made more of the green come out than I wanted, but overall im pretty happy with it. My plan was to take a sanding block to it in about a week or 2( as DYCRANIUM suggested) and see if I can knock the sheen off.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by depletedyourcranium View Post
                          I've done a fair bit of rattle can on guns in that past. The best thing you can do for it is once it is finished, put it away and don't touch it for at least 2 weeks, maybe a month. While you can handle it with a day or so, spray paint can take a long time to fully cure good and hard. If you let it fully cure it'll be almost as good as some of the really expensive finishes for resisting scratching and marring. You just got to make sure to keep the oils and solvents away from it.
                          Baking rattle-can paint can make a big difference too. I can't recommend specifics but have heard that a few hours at 100 degrees can harden the paint more than it will ever get by air drying.
                          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

I like it.. Now you used stencils for that rifle correct?
                            Thanks. And yeah, I laid out painter's tape on a plastic cutting board, drew some random patterns while looking at a multicam blouse, and cut them out with an exacto knife. It's tedious, but if you preserve the stencils they can be reused and if you space them out on the tape you get a positive and a negative stencil for each shape. You've really got to be patient between coats-- I've lifted earlier coats with subsequent stencils a maddening number of times.

Comment

• jackwagon
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                              Baking rattle-can paint can make a big difference too. I can't recommend specifics but have heard that a few hours at 100 degrees can harden the paint more than it will ever get by air drying.
                              Put it in the oven tonight...
                              Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                              Thanks. And yeah, I laid out painter's tape on a plastic cutting board, drew some random patterns while looking at a multicam blouse, and cut them out with an exacto knife. It's tedious, but if you preserve the stencils they can be reused and if you space them out on the tape you get a positive and a negative stencil for each shape. You've really got to be patient between coats-- I've lifted earlier coats with subsequent stencils a maddening number of times.
                              Seems like a little more time consuming than the laundry bag treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X