X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

I think we all can agree the cerakote is great, as im sure the Duracoat and hydro dip are as well. But i think the product you can get out of $12 worth of Rustoleum is a great deal.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
      Nice LRRP, are you saying you did that in cerakote or you just prefer it? I've thought about trying cera or dura coat, but it seems like I'd be in at least a couple hundred bucks for the materials and equipment and I already spend more than i probably should on my guns.
      I did those personally, made my own templates on wax paper and Brownell's high heat tolerant green tape.

I also did 45˚ angle USMC MARPAT Digital Desert, which was very painful. The Multicam was painful too. I overlaid the wax paper and tape on one of my blouses and traced the patterns.

Only reason I brought it up because people mentioned sanding and baking. If you're going to go through the trouble of sand-blasting your parts, and baking the finish, Cerakote is the way to go if you can do it safely.

You'll need access to a sand blast cabinet, ventilated spray booth, compressor, airbrush, PPE (respirator, gloves, hooded top preferable) and an oven that will fit the parts, lots of wire hooks, acetone, baths, pie tins for small parts, etc.

It's very dirty work that requires a lot of patience and a steady mind and hand.

My vision finally took a dump on me, so I wonder if I can even do it anymore.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dcommoncents
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Only reason I brought it up because people mentioned sanding and baking. If you're going to go through the trouble of sand-blasting your parts, and baking the finish, Cerakote is the way to go if you can do it safely.

You'll need access to a sand blast cabinet, ventilated spray booth, compressor, airbrush, PPE (respirator, gloves, hooded top preferable) and an oven that will fit the parts, lots of wire hooks, acetone, baths, pie tins for small parts, etc.
        I am a somewhat anal retentive do-it-yourselfer on virtually everything and although I feel like duracoat is probably the "correct" way to camouflage a gun, this hassle and expense has kept me from trying it out. I can only imagine what my wife would say if I tried baking gun parts in our oven.

Comment

Working...
        X