X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

There are a lot of videos showing how to do a number of different camo patterns. Many of them show stencils that they sell but obviously you can cut your own.
    I really like the way Riptile looks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpo1LosWoDs

Montactical will duracoat your weapon for $500.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• 82HALO
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

I like! They all look awesome! If I get brave enough I might try this with one!

Comment

• jackwagon
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
        There are a lot of videos showing how to do a number of different camo patterns. Many of them show stencils that they sell but obviously you can cut your own.
        I really like the way Riptile looks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpo1LosWoDs

Montactical will duracoat your weapon for $500.
        $500 I can buy another gun, or scope.
        Originally posted by 82HALO View Post
        I like! They all look awesome! If I get brave enough I might try this with one!
        Really I don't think you can mess it up, if you don't like it just start over.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          Baking rattle-can paint can make a big difference too. I can't recommend specifics but have heard that a few hours at 100 degrees can harden the paint more than it will ever get by air drying.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

How do you support the piece in the oven? I have to imagine that it would be best to keep as much of the painted surfaces from bearing weight as possible.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

I try to suspend them with wire from the rack. Something will always be touching, but usually you can have the touching part be a section that is covered by another part so any marks will be covered up when it all goes back together. If I'm being lazy I just lay them right on the racks. I don't really bake anymore, though, unless I want something with more of a done-right-now finish. Anymore I just put it up and wait.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                Thanks. And yeah, I laid out painter's tape on a plastic cutting board, drew some random patterns while looking at a multicam blouse, and cut them out with an exacto knife. It's tedious, but if you preserve the stencils they can be reused and if you space them out on the tape you get a positive and a negative stencil for each shape. You've really got to be patient between coats-- I've lifted earlier coats with subsequent stencils a maddening number of times.
                Are you me? Because that's the exact method I came up with to do this shotgun:

v2n8zsaop33z.jpg

It turned out great but damn was it a tedious process.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by depletedyourcranium View Post
                  Are you me? Because that's the exact method I came up with to do this shotgun:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10350[/ATTACH]

It turned out great but damn was it a tedious process.
                  I'm glad someone is as crazy as I am to put himself through that! It's worth it though, I mean it's not exactly like my gun hobby is entirely, even mostly practical.

Yours looks great, definitely cleaner than mine. What was your order of paint and stenciling? I'm thinking about doing it differently on a 6.5G pistol build I'm working on by using mostly if not entirely male stencils and working essentially backwards from the following steps I've used in the past:
                  1) shade whole rifle w/out stencils in tan and brown colors
                  2) use female stencils and edges of male stencils to apply green shades while taping rest of rifle
                  3) use female stencils and tape rest of rifle as needed to apply the dark brown blobs
                  4) same as 3 to apply the light tan/whitish blobs
                  5) matte clear coat the heck out of everything

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I prefer Cerakote. Here's one I did in Multicam for a forum member:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Comment

• jackwagon
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

How do you support the piece in the oven? I have to imagine that it would be best to keep as much of the painted surfaces from bearing weight as possible.
                        I took out the bottom rack, and hung it with wire from the top rack also. I haven't touched it in a few days.... but I want to, real bad.

Comment

• jackwagon
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Nice, I would prefer that also.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Here are 2 that I did. Wish someone would do Cerakote for me like this one of these days.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

Nice LRRP, are you saying you did that in cerakote or you just prefer it? I've thought about trying cera or dura coat, but it seems like I'd be in at least a couple hundred bucks for the materials and equipment and I already spend more than i probably should on my guns.
                              Last edited by Dcommoncents; 12-08-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2017

I've thought about trying dura coat, but it seems like I'd be in at least a couple hundred bucks for the materials and equipment and I already spend more than i probably should on my guns.
                                I really want to try Duracoat and it may be a little less expensive than you think. Midway sells a kit for $70; otherwise it is $20/4oz. so $60-$80 per gun but that's enough to do at least a few. https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48 They have some stencils for a good price too.
                                And then Harbor Freight sells a small compressor ($40 on sale) and airbrush for $10 to $21 for their best one. You'll need a few more bits and pieces to get it all to work.

A while ago I checked into hydro-dipping and I think it was $100-$200 per gun?

I plan to do my AR, a couple of pistols and a few stocks.
                                Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-08-2017, 03:03 AM.
                                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
                                X