• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Best lower to use?

Getting around to building the A@ version I have been thinking about. I have two choices for the lower an Anderson and a Bushmaster both with low round count, under 200 with 5.56.
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

What do you mean by "best"? Both will work. Are you asking which one looks more like a classic A2? Or are you asking which one is better quality?
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Quality moreso. and I'm not really wanting to make an exact A3 version as I will use an adjustable gas block. Speaking of which who makes a good adjustable GB that is not super expensive.

Comment

• PVBoom
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Seekins does

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Superlative arms adjustable gas blocks.

I did a ton of reading when I was looking at lowers and it seemed that allot companies got their forged lowers from the same place and just put their own logos on them.

Comment

• mdram
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

they have to do final machining on the forged lowers

but some companies still make them for others
            just some targets for printing
            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• worthen86ford
              Warrior
              • May 2016

Comment

• cb4017
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

I've used a lot of lowers over the years. Probably the most problematic were ones from Olympic Arms. Currently in my safe are 7 guns or receivers from 4 different manufactures from LaRue to Anderson Arms. All went together and do the job with no issues. As worthen86 said, I would use the receiver that gives you the best fit to your upper.
                Cliff
                USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Comment

• rickt300
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Anderson it is, fit is very tight and the trigger is better by far.

Comment

• PVBoom
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

There are a couple philosophies (and more), regarding uppers and lowers. Its a quality upper that matters more, true to mate with the barrel which will impact accuracy the most.
                    The lower is the least important, it doesnt have the stress the upper does, so it comes down to style and weight. Of course, you want a tight alignment/lock-up with the upper and lower.
                    Otherwise its strictly your preference. You can get down to the minutiae. Flared mag wells? Adjustment screws for over-travel with the trigger, etc.? Pimping color palette. With the
                    world of sweet triggers out there, it a good matched set, and possibly weight that matter these days.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I've learned to look at receiver sets, not individual receiver lowers or uppers.

They need to be considered together, rather than by themselves.

I've moved into preferring precision-machined forged sets, or billet sets after decades of basic forged sets.

For a military gun that needs to be easily shotgunned, I like forged sets that fit snugly, but still allow ease of push of the takedown pin.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X