280 pieces of Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Once Fired Brass $175 shipped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnhefley
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

280 pieces of Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Once Fired Brass $175 shipped.

For sale, 280 pieces of Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Once Fired Brass $175 shipped.

Just say, "I'll Take it."

Paypal using the "send money to friends and family" option will be the speediest. Just make sure you use that option, and not the "Pay for goods and services" option. If you make that mistake, you'll have to send more, because paypal skims money off.

My email is my 65grendel.com username@comcast.net

Good luck!
    jh
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Do you know the manufacturer of the brass? Is it older lapua stuff, or newer hornady?

Comment

• johnhefley
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
      Do you know the manufacturer of the brass? Is it older lapua stuff, or newer hornady?

Good question. This ammo was all purchased more than 3 years ago. It was my understanding that it was Lapua.

I've only recently discovered that Hornady took up manufacture of AA headstamped brass. I guess a call to Hornady would answer the question. AA isn't answering their phone.

FWIW, some of the ammo came in the white square boxes, and some came in long, rectangular boxes. All had Lapua Scenar 123 grain bullets loaded in them.

If there's a way I can visually identify the manufacturer, let me know. I'll check.
      jh

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Check the flash hole. If it is smaller than your other rifle brass flash holes, then it is AA/Lapua. Otherwise, it is AA/Hornady.

I would normally say that a standard decapping pin would not pass through, but a couple of other members have indicated that they unknowingly forced their decapping pins through, thus enlarging the flash hole. (ahem, Paul)
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• johnhefley
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

I just deprimed a Hornady headstamped case, and one of my AA cases. The AA case definitely has a smaller flash hole.
          jh
          Attached Files
          Last edited by johnhefley; 12-05-2017, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2017

That is good to know about the regular recapping die not passing through. What did they end up using so not to destroy the brass? Looking at running Redding Dies for the 6.5. Just bought a bunch of brass form John and was excellent to deal with. Dont hesitate. John good to know as well. I was under that impression as well about Lapua but when saw the listing on AA about Hornady I was floored.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by AppalachianGunSlinger View Post
              That is good to know about the regular recapping die not passing through. What did they end up using so not to destroy the brass? Looking at running Redding Dies for the 6.5. Just bought a bunch of brass form John and was excellent to deal with. Dont hesitate. John good to know as well. I was under that impression as well about Lapua but when saw the listing on AA about Hornady I was floored.
              Hornady and other die manufacturers sell the thinner decapping pins for their sizing dies. My Hornady New Dimensions die came with the small pin already installed.

My Redding Type-S dies, on the other hand, came with the standard pin. I've since remedied that shortcoming.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• johnhefley
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Hey, thanks, Doc. Good dealing with you as well.

Sites like this are great due to the wealth of knowledge across the membership. I’m always amazed at what I learn.
                jh

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by johnhefley View Post
                  The AA case definitely has a smaller flash hole.
                  Interesting. Anyone ever noticed any problems with the small flash hole? Does it make any difference with the load or data listed in the manuals?
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• johnhefley
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

FWIW, Doc, I deprimed that AA brass with a Redding die. I’ll put my calipers on the pin if I can get to it while the die is in the reloader.

EDIT: I just measured it. The decapping pin is 1.5mm
                    jh
                    Last edited by johnhefley; 12-06-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2017

Thanks John. I might be hitting you up here soon. Never did ask if the Redding dies where S-Types?

Comment

• johnhefley
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2014

Redding part number 80478, Series C. IIRC, these were the only dies offered by Redding in 6.5 Grendel when I bought them.
                        jh

Comment

• johnhefley
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2014

Guys, I received a PM from a 65grendel.com member today asking me to confirm that it's Lapua brass.

I called Hornady today to inquire when Hornady started manufacturing AA headstamped brass. Answer: About 4 years ago. Dustin at Hornady confirmed that the visual difference is that Lapua brass has a smaller primer flash hole.

I dug through my emails to find the last receipt for AA ammo. I finally found it! January, 2013, which was nearly 5 years ago, and well prior to Hornady's stated start of manufacture 4 years ago.

So without decapping all of my AA brass, I'm convinced that it is all indeed Lapua brass. The most recent purchase of AA ammo was 4 years, 11 months ago.

jh

Comment

Working...
                          X