• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • depletedyourcranium
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

WTB: AR15 Receiver Face Lapping Tool

I'm looking for a receiver face lapping tool to square off the receiver for my new build and trying to save some money. I'd like to buy a used one, but if someone out there has one they could rent/borrow would be even better. Gladly pay shipping both ways. Let me know, thanks!
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

It's almost worth it to just buy one. You would be 75% there shipping both ways on a loaner.

We need a pay it forward or floating tool thread. Some one needs it, they pay shipping and hang onto it until the next person pops up. I have 3 uppers I would like to do this to, and am about ready to buy one.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
      It's almost worth it to just buy one. You would be 75% there shipping both ways on a loaner.

We need a pay it forward or floating tool thread. Some one needs it, they pay shipping and hang onto it until the next person pops up. I have 3 uppers I would like to do this to, and am about ready to buy one.
      This is a great idea, there are a few tools that I'd like to borrow instead of buy. First I thought of is headspace gauges but I'm afraid they're too expensive.

On the Rimfire Central forum they're passing around a couple of drill jigs for drilling the barrel-cleaning hole in Ruger 10/22 receivers. Member uses jig then pays to ship it to next name on list.

Takes a volunteer to keep track of tools and route them but that shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: BTW Midway has the Wheeler lapping tool for cheap: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ing-tool-ar-15
      Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-06-2017, 12:40 PM.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• PVBoom
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

I just ordered from Brownells the tool, 180,600,800 grit compound. I can loan it out when done.

I am thinking of loaning as a set. As such, there would need to be a charge for compound.
        Last edited by PVBoom; 12-06-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

I have a machine shop that will make them fir $40 if that will help.

Comment

• blackholegun
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2017

I also have one coming from PTG, will be here tomorrow.
            I should have mine lapped in short order and could lend it out if you need it.
            Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

When you use the lapping tool, it also grinds a channel out in the lapping tool. I'm not sure how many uppers you can lap with one tool. Maybe someone who has done multiple can chime in

Comment

• blackholegun
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2017

I am sure it might, but, I would think that you would be able to do many receivers before the tool would be worn out

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by blackholegun View Post
                  I am sure it might, but, I would think that you would be able to do many receivers before the tool would be worn out
                  Then you take it to a machine shop and have them re-face the tool
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                    When you use the lapping tool, it also grinds a channel out in the lapping tool. I'm not sure how many uppers you can lap with one tool. Maybe someone who has done multiple can chime in
                    Is this true...Have you seen this? I have never used one but am thinking of using them. I wouldn't have thought there is even wear in dissimilar metals. An aluminium receiver vs. a hardened steel tool...

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

Yes it left a groove in mine.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                        Yes it left a groove in mine.
                        Wow, very interesting...A few quick questions to help me make a decision...

How many receivers before this groove appeared obvious?
                        Do you know whether the uppers are made from 6061 or 7075 aluminium?
                        What brand of tool is this?

Does anyone else have a squaring tool with a groove ground into it?

Comment

• Bigs28
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2016

I bought my lapping tool from Pacific tool. I'm on duty today/ tomorrow. I will take a picture of the tool when I get home Wednesday. I lapped 1 upper receiver and there is a noticeable groove in the tool. Not sure if the upper is 6061 or 7075. I will look at it on Wednesday.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

I suppose that grit is doing its thing to both surfaces and to be fair it will still square the face. But it does sound pretty severe for one go.

Comment

• blackholegun
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2017

I have an email to PTG regarding this as far as " how many operations" could be expected from this tool.
                              Having a hard time believing, if it is done correctly, that it is a "one and done tool".
                              I saw a video where someone did it by hand without a drill.
                              All you need to see is a even surface across the face of the receiver, any more than that, I would suspect you may run into head spacing issues.
                              As Sticks said, if it does groove, you just get it trued again

Comment

Working...
                              X