X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I got a quick sight in with my new Faxon 18” barrel at 25 yards. Set the scope to shoot 1.5” low which should get me on target at 100 yards. Rifle functioned fine in the 15 degree sunny day with a 5-10 MPH wind. I’ve only shot ten rounds and the brass is kicked out at 3-4 O Clock with the standard carbine buffer. Looks like Faxon got the correct gas port size on their 18” barrels.

I really like this barrel! The profile, weight and balance is really slick. If I had to have just one 6.5 Grendel this would sure be a contender. Thanks again BFT!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Stop it. I haven't even gotten my 12" barrel in yet and you are making me want to buy one of these.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Crusty
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

That looks a lot like my Grendel deer/hog rifle. Here's a picture of mine before I mounted a PA 4-14x44 scope on it which sort of looks like your scope. I'm changing it however since I made a deal on a barrel today, a DEZ Arms 18" stainless fluted barrel which I think will be more accurate than the Satern I have on it now (and maybe it was just time to start some new project). Nice rifle BTW and I'm glad it functions well. My rifle was overgassed and had a bad extractor and I changed lots of parts on it before I got my ejection problems solved.
        Attached Files
        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Took my 18” Faxon Group buy out again today to get a better zero. It was 11 degrees here sunny with light wind so I set up my MTM plastic bench by the back door at 50 yards from my target. The last three rounds after sight in were the three shot group circled.

The other bullet holes were from shooting Thursday off a tree at about 25 yards and off hand at 50 yards. The last three shots were # 27,28 and 29 shots through this barrel. The three shot group is with a hand load with 123 grain A-Max, 31.0 grains CFE 223, CCI 450 primer in Hornady cases. I think this barrel will be a good shooter off a stable bench on a warmer day.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23f6xdZ]E4CA8C4A-73C3-49C3-BB23-3FA02B03FB62

Comment

• zcostilla
            Warrior
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Took my 18” Faxon Group buy out again today to get a better zero. It was 11 degrees here sunny with light wind so I set up my MTM plastic bench by the back door at 50 yards from my target. The last three rounds after sight in were the three shot group circled.

The other bullet holes were from shooting Thursday off a tree at about 25 yards and off hand at 50 yards. The last three shots were # 27,28 and 29 shots through this barrel. The three shot group is with a hand load with 123 grain A-Max, 31.0 grains CFE 223, CCI 450 primer in Hornady cases. I think this barrel will be a good shooter off a stable bench on a warmer day.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23f6xdZ]E4CA8C4A-73C3-49C3-BB23-3FA02B03FB62
            Very nice! Can’t wait to sight mine in.
            -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Crusty
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

My latest mods

Vascar, our rifles are starting to look different after I made some recent changes.

I bought a new HBAR match fluted barrel and Alexander bolt for mine and that prompted me to add a couple of other upgrades. I added a sun shield for my scope, a roller trigger and I've got a lighter weight handguard on the way. Here's a picture with the sun shield and the trigger installed and the new barrel is laid beside it. I'll wait for the new handguard to get here before I install the new barrel. That sun shield makes my scope look ultra-sniper like but it actually improves my sight picture through it.

That JP Revolution roller trigger is awesome because it makes it difficult to pull shots since it rolls when you pull sideways, and after a while of using it I learned where to place my trigger finger so that it doesn't want to roll at all. There's another bad technique corrected.

Jan18.jpg
              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

That is a unique trigger, I don’t ever remember seeing it before. Let us know how your reconfigured 6.5 Grendel shoots.

Comment

• Crusty
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

I'm sure trigger wise it will be better because now I won't be pulling shots, and I had a JP adjustable trigger before so the pull will feel similar.

I've felt many popular triggers and while I think some of them are very good, the JP adjustable trigger is the best (my opinion) because I can set it up exactly like I want and I don't really understand why more people don't go for it, and now the roller has improved the best (my opinion) trigger. Maybe it's because of the modest amount of gun smithing required to install one, but doing my first one I gained a good understanding of how an AR trigger functions.

I'm really anxious try that match barrel though and I'll report back once it's been broken in.
                  I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Lastrites
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

My JP I've had for years is nice, breaks like a glass rod and goes unnoticed by many, their loss. Haven't played with their Roller trigger but would only assume it is nice.

Comment

• Crusty
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Like a glass rod breaking is exactly how it feels to me too. Everyone who shoots my rifle for the first time says "wow" after feeling my JP trigger break. People rave about all the other JP products so why do they assume the JP trigger is any different?

The roller is an improvement to it if you ever have a tendency to pull shots, because any sideways force from your finger just rolls the trigger instead of pulling the rifle off target. I understand it's been a recognized concept in competition shooting for a while.
                      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Crusty
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Well Vascar, my barrel change has morphed into a new upper build. One thing led to another and now I've got that match barrel going onto an ASA side charging receiver (it's superb), a new handguard, an Alexander bolt, a new gas block and nitrided gas tube and a few other odds and ends. I'll move my scope over to the new upper and use the previously trigger upgraded lower with it for a nearly new rifle. I put everything together finger tight yesterday for a first look and my rifle will now be cleaner looking, easier to operate and hopefully more precise shooting. I was expecting a lot from that side charger but it's even better than I expected and I'll post some pictures once I've done the final assembly.

And with that side charger now I can add a cheek riser to get my head up where it wants to be when I shoot which is something I couldn't do with a conventional grab handle (nose to handle shooter here).
                        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Sounds good Crusty, interested in seeing how your new upper turns out!

Comment

• Crusty
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Got it all together today. My barrel swap grew into a new upper build and I'm tickled with the way it's come together. With a super slim handguard and the side charger my new receiver is narrow and easy handling and I'm already sold on side chargers before I've even shot one. If you look closely you can see the slot and the charging handle folded against receiver.
                            Attached Files
                            I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Looks real good Crusty, let us know how it shoots!

Weather was great here today, around 50 degrees with basically Zero wind value. I put more rounds through my 18” & 16” Faxon group buy builds today. I’m very pleased with the way my builds preform.
                              Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-28-2018, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2017

Here's a target from my first range session breaking in the barrel. I should be able to tighten that up with a tuned load and a steady shooting rest.
                                Attached Files
                                I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
                                X