• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

LRRPF52,
    One of these days I'm going to have to order a build box from you. It seams like I always have one or two ARs that are in various stages of construction. It's a good idea and could prevent some potential "building woes".
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
      LRRPF52,
      One of these days I'm going to have to order a build box from you. It seams like I always have one or two ARs that are in various stages of construction. It's a good idea and could prevent some potential "building woes".
      Not only am I the owner, but a customer as well (remember the hair club for men commercials?).

That's what it really grew out of, my own personal builds that were multiplying like Gremlins.

A big problem is keeping track of what is at what stage of completion and where the parts are.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I bought 2 of these a little over a year ago and they have made my life much easier:

CNC machined Mil Spec, Steel, Hardened and Plated Made in the USA by Xtreme Precision LLC sku: 706 $21.99
        F44A0BF1-3AE6-461B-9C02-EA1D8B6F03E9.jpeg

Now back to your regularly scheduled Grendel programming.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          I bought 2 of these a little over a year ago and they have made my life much easier:

CNC machined Mil Spec, Steel, Hardened and Plated Made in the USA by Xtreme Precision LLC sku: 706 $21.99

Anderson calls them "Oops kits". You can guess why. My last two or three builds have been with Opps kits and left over parts from other LPKs. You know, you use an ambidextrous safety in one build and you now have an extra safety. Use an extended mag release in another build and you now have an extra mag release. Do this enough times and all you are missing are the springs and detents.

Many of them do. I have a bunch of extra grip screws from LPKs because the aftermarket grips came with the screw as well. One thing I have noticed is that the aftermarket screws that come with grips are often either Philips or flat head where as the ones in the LPKs are allen screws, which I generally prefer. Like you though, I went down to the hardware store and bought a box of extras, just in case.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• jackwagon
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Well I found my detent from 5 days ago... Ordering the OOOPS kit now.

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

It was really interesting at our company with the AR assembly line, it would be amazing yo know how many detent pins and springs were scattered throughout the build area, we considered them consumables and went on

Comment

• jackwagon
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                It was really interesting at our company with the AR assembly line, it would be amazing yo know how many detent pins and springs were scattered throughout the build area, we considered them consumables and went on
                My floor sure is consuming them. ;0

Comment

• zcostilla
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  72725432-1929-4540-A5F7-3335B558DF7F by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]
                  Makes me appreciate how JoeBob Outfitters shipped mine the other day. They laid it on cardboard and shrink wrapped it, then sealed it in a plastic bag.
                  Attached Files
                  -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

This is the basic method I use for pivot pin installation, only I mount the lower receiver vertically in my vice with insulators of course.

This is the most headache-free method of pivot pin installation.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

The day I bought that from Caldwell was a Happy Day. One of the handiest doodads in my AR tool kit.

On the other hand, I still struggle with the split pins on my gas blocks to no end.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        This is the basic method I use for pivot pin installation, only I mount the lower receiver vertically in my vice with insulators of course.

I just use a standard 1/4" clevis pin from a hardware store. Basically the exact same thing, but cost under $1.

clevis_pin_1.png

If you don't happen to have one on hand you can also use anything that is 1/4" round like drill bit or a punch. In the video below I show how to do it with a drill bit. I couldn't get the video to start right where I wanted it to, so you will have to watch me finish installing a bolt catch. Jump ahead to 22:33 to see just the take down pin.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Been using a 1/4" Clevis Pin found at the local hardware store for this for years myself, makes it an easy install and I too prefer to install this in a vertical position.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

I have a black hole under my bench, sometimes I'll drop something and never find it. At first I thought well it's a small spring or pin like for the detent pin or spring on the front take down pin, those I'll look for twenty minutes then go grab one of the spares I keep on hand. Frustrating right? Last month I was doing a build and dropped the castle nut for the buffer tube, the castle nut!!! Gone still haven't found it. I spent hours looking for it, moved every box, bench and even shelves, nota. Only one explanation, black hole.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I have a black hole under my bench, sometimes I'll drop something and never find it. At first I thought well it's a small spring or pin like for the detent pin or spring on the front take down pin, those I'll look for twenty minutes then go grab one of the spares I keep on hand. Frustrating right? Last month I was doing a build and dropped the castle nut for the buffer tube, the castle nut!!! Gone still haven't found it. I spent hours looking for it, moved every box, bench and even shelves, nota. Only one explanation, black hole.

What a great thread, very therapeutic. Thanks

Comment

• jackwagon
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2017

LR, seems that you knew I was using a screwdriver to push the detent in until I could get my very tapered punch to hold it.http://www.65grendel.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.png I was up to about a 50% success rate.
                                I will have to try the vertical installation method, had not thought of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X