X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Frontier gear / Lastrites , I probably have 5 or 6 of those in my garage. good call

65 Whelen, Almost like hitting the lottery when you find one of the lost ones.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
      On the other hand, I still struggle with the split pins on my gas blocks to no end.
      A few things that I've found to help with that.
      • Take a belt sander with some fine grit and taper just the leading edge of the roll pin a bit. It doesn't take much. This can help you get the pin started.
      • Use a gas block with a tapered roll pin hole. Just make sure that you start the pin from the correct side
      • A little drop of gun oil on the pin can help some times.
      • A pair of needle nose vice grips can pinch the pin closed and help get it started.
      • Some roll pin punches are a little undersized and can do the same job as the vise grips.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

I have not had any trouble installing the front takedown pin with no tools other than my fingers.
        I place my left hand along the receiver with my thumb and forefinger facing toward the front.
        Slide the spring in and pinch my digits together.
        Push the detent in and pinch.
        Take the pin and force my digits apart from front to back and insert pin into hole.
        The thumb and forefinger almost guarantee nothing will escape.
        This worked flawlessly on the three receivers I have assembled.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

My first two builds fell together.

The last one fought me about every step it could while not requiring any special machining. The biggest thing was the BCG would bind in the upper. So I put my nice NIB carrier in my AR-47 and put the AIM carrier in the 6.5G (swapping bolts) Both worked perfectly with their roles switched. Fired about 10rds setting the gas and sighting it in, tried the bcg's again on a whim one night and they fit perfectly. Ran another 20rds thru the Grendel and it hasn't missed a beat. Must have been a tad heavy on the anodizing.

I have yet to launch anything though.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            I have not had any trouble installing the front takedown pin with no tools other than my fingers.
            I place my left hand along the receiver with my thumb and forefinger facing toward the front.
            Slide the spring in and pinch my digits together.
            Push the detent in and pinch.
            Take the pin and force my digits apart from front to back and insert pin into hole.
            The thumb and forefinger almost guarantee nothing will escape.
            This worked flawlessly on the three receivers I have assembled.
            Now add arthritis and CTS and you begin to appreciate the little things like tweezers, needle nose pliers and that Caldwell take down pin tool.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
              A few things that I've found to help with that.
              • Take a belt sander with some fine grit and taper just the leading edge of the roll pin a bit. It doesn't take much. This can help you get the pin started.
              • Use a gas block with a tapered roll pin hole. Just make sure that you start the pin from the correct side
              • A little drop of gun oil on the pin can help some times.
              • A pair of needle nose vice grips can pinch the pin closed and help get it started.
              • Some roll pin punches are a little undersized and can do the same job as the vise grips.
              I chamfer all my roll pins as well to get them started. I chuck them in a drill and run a file slowly over them.

I also use a slave pin for installation of the bolt catch assembly.

You can apply a little grease to the bolt catch plunger and spring to hold them together when installing.

I work from the pivot pin to the mag catch/release assembly using a Delrin punch for that.

I then install the bolt catch, after taping the side of the receiver up with thick tape.

Then the trigger, hammer, and safety.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I have found a large pair of vise grips with the jaws taped with duct tape can press roll pins in easily.
                Get the roll pin started then press it in a bit at a time while turning the adjustment screw on the vise grip 1/4 turn each time.
                There is no danger of hitting the receiver with a hammer.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

Have built several dozen AR's by now and taught many others how to do the same. To those who are not "mechanically gifted", I tell 'em to put everything inside of a pillow case before disassembly - that will catch all those run-away parts before they get too far!

Comment

• Troutguide
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Gas Block Roll Pin = Awkward!!

I have already lost a few detents and buggered a spring. Probably shouldn't disassemble while holding in the open, in a filthy garage. But its all fun. I was always afraid to fully disassemble a gun before, but after building a couple AR's and switching parts and such it really builds confidence in the gun.
                    "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                      Gas Block Roll Pin = Awkward!!
                      The vise grips work particularly well for pressing this in.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I use the Brownell's hockey puck for gas block installation, but I modified it extensively to hold low profile gas blocks.

I'm still not totally satisfied with it.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

The Wheeler bench block has come in very handy, has worked well for me and worth the $27.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                            The vise grips work particularly well for pressing this in.
                            The roll pin on my Faxon 7.62x39 with the pinned on gas block sucked. It was hard to hold the barrel and gas block in perfect alignment and tap in the roll pin in the same time.

Gas tube roll pins are not that bad, finding a gas block with a flat side really helps too.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Just an update to my thread, Friend at a LGS ordered me a CMMG mid length gas tube and I picked it up yesterday. Looks good so all I need to finish my build is my Group buy Faxon barrel. Looks like I’ll have a new 18” 6.5 Grendel to shoot next year!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2017

VASCAR2,
                                Good to hear! The rest of the parts for my 12" group buy build should be here today minus the muzzle device (and barrel).
                                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                                X