• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Building woes

I decided to post my experience with trying to complete some AR-15 builds. I started this thread so other people will not feel like it always happens to them. Between assembling AR-15’s for myself and Friends/Family I’ve done 25 to 30 over the years.

Since so many of my fellow officer and Friends owned AR-15’s I started keeping spare parts for AR-15’s as usually you hate to have a weapon out of service for a very small inexpensive part. A common problem was castle nuts coming loose and loosing springs, detents. It never fails as hard as you try to have everything you need I still come up short.

A couple years ago I was helping my Brother assemble an AR-15 lower and either the lower was out of spec or the bolt catch was out of spec. The bolt catch was to thick to fit in the groove in the lower. Of course my spare bolt catch was 30 miles away so we started filing and sanding to fit the bolt catch to the lower.

Was helping a brother in law assemble lower and the grip screw was to long as the hole was not threaded deep enough. Fortunately Ace Hardware was open and we bought a shorter screw. He was probably never going to change grips and my nearest taps were 20 miles away.

A few years ago I went to assemble a six position collapsable but stock and there was no roll pin through the adjustment handle release bolt/cap. I had bought packs of different size compression roll pins. Mine were either to short, to long or wrong diameter. I searched for the proper size and finally had to cut a compression pin to fit. Really screws with my OCD!

Went to build a lower last year, no bolt catch spring in the lower parts kit. I have no spring to fit it, darn! I’ve bought bags of various size spring kits from Brownell’s but don’t have the exact size wire and diameter spring to fit, crap.

Last week I go to install the forward assist in an upper and the compression pin falls through the hole. The upper parts kit has the wrong size pin. All my compression pins are to short for size that is needed. I need 5/8” length pin all I have are 1/2”. I drive 15 miles to town and the only pins I can find are 3/4”. I use side cutters to make the pin fit.

Today I come home and open a box with the final parts I need to assemble the upper. There is an empty bag where the mid length gas tube is supposed to be. There is a small hole in the bag and a small hole in the corner of the box. Well crap, now I have to contact the vendor.

Surely I’m not the only guy but my luck is not getting any better. I keep trying to buy better quality products but I still end up with bad luck. Sad part is these are just a few of the different things I can remember at the moment.

So this post is to help the members of the forum understand that it doesn’t just happen to you. Hang in there I’m pullin for ya!
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-06-2017, 12:04 AM.
  • cb4017
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Lol! Sounds like the luck I have at times. Years ago I set up a group buy at my agency for lower receivers. Of course I helped assemble a bunch of them. I remember having an detent pin fly away into the carpet for the front receiver take-down pin. Never found it. I ended up making one with a small nail of the approximate diameter..
    Cliff
    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Dues Vult

Comment

• jackwagon
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

I spent 15 min on the floor looking for the takedown pin detent not more than an hour ago. Blasted off the wall, hit my arm, felt it hit my shoe but could not find the ( fill in your own curse words) thing. UGH!.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I am soooooo glad it's not just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Arghhhhhhh!
        Thanks for sharing guys.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Years of being a mechanic, I feel the pain. Especially the small nuts and bolts, or spring loaded items.

The two lowers that I assembled I was lucky and did not launch any parts. I have learned from other experiences when dealing with projectile fasteners (usually snap rings & E-clips - launched a few across the shop, and one inside the injection pump) to work with the item that if it launches, to have some sort of catcher or deflector down range to try to contain it. I've gone as far as keeping a rag in my mouth that when I get everything lined up, I'll drop the rag over my hands and then assemble.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 41bear
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Yep, my best learned fact .... buy plenty of extra springs of all sizes! Then don't be surprised when you step on said lost spring the day you receive the newly ordered needed spring.
            "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Headshot11
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2017

Thanks for sharing, I too had my own problems with parts. Now I only buy quality parts for my builds.

Comment

• zcostilla
                Warrior
                • Aug 2017

My only issue so far has been a JoeBob Outditter charging handle that was improperly ground, and wouldn’t latch. Contacted them and they had a replacement at my home within 3 days. They to,d me to keep the bad one, so I took a file, and with 15 minutes work, I have a spare.
                -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

I've had a number of faulty parts, even from reputable manufactures.

There was a batch of stripped Anderson uppers that came in which were all very tight on any lower. One upper was so bad that it wouldn't even close. You physically couldn't get it down far enough to line up the rear take down pin holes. I've never had that problem with Anderson before or after. Must have been a new guy on the CNC that day. As a dealer, it was pain but not the end of the world. I had a enough lowers and uppers to swap around that I was able to figure out the problem pretty easily. If I had been the "average Joe" on my first build and no other parts to troubleshoot with, it would have been supper frustrating.

Over or undersized gas blocks are a pet peeve on mine. I find that generally the gas block inner diameter is too big (leaks gas) and the roll pin hole is too small. Trying to start that roll pin when the hole is too small is a frustration that I know is shared among a few of my friends.

One other trick that just takes experience, is learning what parts to buy from which manufacture. Some manufactures can make a great product on one component and absolute junk on another. Guntec has pretty decent budget friendly hand guards and anti-walk pins. Just don't buy anything that has a spring or detent.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I ended up calling the vendor and CS sent out another gas tube. I explained I was in no hurry but when I got the email notification it showed Fedex next day shipping. Fedex showed up at about 2:30 this afternoon with the same size box as the previous order. I cut open the box and find an empty plastic bag. Just like before there was a hole poked into the bottom corner end of the box. There was also a small hole in the plastic gas tube package. No roll pin no gas tube plus the vendor paid for Fedex shipping.

The gas tube cost $17.03 and I got free shipping on the first order. I called customer service again and explained the whole situation again. I told CS, management really needs to address packaging this sort of product. Had they used a cardboard tube or reinforced the corners of the box with heavy package tape we wouldn’t be in this situation.

CS offered to send out another gas tube but I declined but I did send the pictures of the boxes and packaging so the CS rep could forward it up to management.

Some times you gotta just laugh it off, it just isn’t to be. I said they had tried to make things right, I know they are busy have a Merry Christmas.

Here is a picture of the box which is about 9 1/8” long 6” wide and 6” tall. It was a mid length gas tube, probably 11” long.

72725432-1929-4540-A5F7-3335B558DF7F by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-08-2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

What size of gas tube? PM me the address and I'll ship one to you.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Thanks Frontier Gear but I’m in no hurry. I was planning on buying some more 6.5 Grendel magazines so I’ll either order another midlength gas tube or get my buddy who has a gun shop to throw midlength gas tube on one of his orders.

I figure the vendor has a minimum wage person packaging orders at the busiest time of the year and I hated to even bug them to begin with seeing it was such a small order with free shipping. Life is to short to worry about $17.03. The Lord has blessed me immensely this holliday season. I mainly called them again to let them know as they are loosing money and maybe customers.

I won't disclose this vendor as they are as good as it gets but your only as good as your weakest link. They just need to know. Lol

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

I'd ask "What are the odds?", but this borders on the classic definition of insanity... "Doing the same thing, over and over, expecting a different outcome."
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

If only someone would make AR15 parts packaging to address these common problems.

I remember getting an order from Brownell's once, which included a lightweight 16" CLGS AR15 barrel.

When I saw it on the porch, the threads were sticking out of the box, ha ha!

I've always had good service with Brownell's, and miraculously, the threads were not damaged, but it was then that I really started to think about a better packaging solution for AR15 parts.

I designed the AR15 Build Box to actually surround the barrel in 2 layers of cardboard, as well as the thick, high-density rigid foam, and sandwiched the parts between 2 more layers of foam top and bottom.

I looked at stand-off between any parts edges and the outside of box, imagining Postal employees maybe having a bad day, or anger management types in the thrower room tossing packages as hard as possible to purposely damage them just for kicks (not that they would ever do that.....).

I saw a complaint from a guy who ordered a rare collectible 1950's-era guitar, where the postman had placed the box on the edge of the curb, then drove over it with his mail truck. Brutal

Sorry to hear about the gas tube shipping issue. I think every gas tube I've ordered has just been thrown in a box as well, with customary large bubble cells thrown on top of it, doing nothing to prevent it from being bent or damaged.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

I used to be when packing for anything going ground shipping, if it was "Fragile" figure packing to keep it safe for a 3 foot drop.

I can assure you that anything that has any weight to it, needs to be packed for a 12 foot drop, and a 30 foot roll. I've seen the back of delivery trucks in foothills and mountains, there is never anything on the shelves, it's all on the floor.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X