• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Your on a roll today LRRPF52, that pretty good. lol

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Slipped on a forward assist install and the coil spring ejected into space. Now this is a decent sized spring, one would think easy to find, nope 30 minutes later searching everywhere and no luck. Took a lunch break then started scouring the floor again, then I stood up and looked down to find much to my amazement the spring was hanging on my shirt., could have lost it in worst spots as I had ended up walking all through the house after lunch prior to resuming the search.

Lesson, check yourself before the floor.

Comment

• 65Whelen
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
          Slipped on a forward assist install and the coil spring ejected into space. Now this is a decent sized spring, one would think easy to find, nope 30 minutes later searching everywhere and no luck. Took a lunch break then started scouring the floor again, then I stood up and looked down to find much to my amazement the spring was hanging on my shirt., could have lost it in worst spots as I had ended up walking all through the house after lunch prior to resuming the search.

Lesson, check yourself before the floor.
          Been there done that. I've found gun parts (springs, pins, screws) on the floor next to the bed the next day. Yes, I am rather clumsy. Lesson; always do a thorough clothing check before going to the floor.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Well my saga continues. lol

I ordered an ALG VM 0 12” hand guard because I like the looks and price of the rail. Oooops, I try to mount an M-Lok bipod stud adapter and it doesn’t fit. The rail is not M- Lok. I guess that is why it is not in the description. Lack of reading comprehension skills strikes again. The rail ships with a co-witness rail and Picatinny rail section. I guess I’ll go to plan B and mount the pic rail at 6 O clock and use my YHM stud adapter or drill and tap a hole for a bipod stud.

Surely I’m not the only guy. lol

Kind of why I started this thread. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the forum!
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-22-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

The hand guard for my 12" group buy showed up the other day. My preference is M-LOK and that is what I thought I had ordered. When I opened the box a Keymod had guard was staring me in the face. Going back and checking my order I see that they shipped exactly what I had ordered. Doh!
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

See Frontier Gear, were all human! Just gotta chuckle sometimes, Merry Christmas!

Comment

• jackwagon
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Hahaaaaaa, That pretty much sums it up.

Comment

• Ian01
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2017

Comment

• Bwild97
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      If only someone would make AR15 parts packaging to address these common problems.

I remember getting an order from Brownell's once, which included a lightweight 16" CLGS AR15 barrel.

When I saw it on the porch, the threads were sticking out of the box, ha ha!

I've always had good service with Brownell's, and miraculously, the threads were not damaged, but it was then that I really started to think about a better packaging solution for AR15 parts.

I designed the AR15 Build Box to actually surround the barrel in 2 layers of cardboard, as well as the thick, high-density rigid foam, and sandwiched the parts between 2 more layers of foam top and bottom.

I looked at stand-off between any parts edges and the outside of box, imagining Postal employees maybe having a bad day, or anger management types in the thrower room tossing packages as hard as possible to purposely damage them just for kicks (not that they would ever do that.....).

I saw a complaint from a guy who ordered a rare collectible 1950's-era guitar, where the postman had placed the box on the edge of the curb, then drove over it with his mail truck. Brutal

Sorry to hear about the gas tube shipping issue. I think every gas tube I've ordered has just been thrown in a box as well, with customary large bubble cells thrown on top of it, doing nothing to prevent it from being bent or damaged.

I'm still using both of mine!! absolutely brilliant idea!

Thank You LRRPF52!!

Comment

• zcostilla
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        I have found a large pair of vise grips with the jaws taped with duct tape can press roll pins in easily.
                        Get the roll pin started then press it in a bit at a time while turning the adjustment screw on the vise grip 1/4 turn each time.
                        There is no danger of hitting the receiver with a hammer.
                        -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Crusty
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

I've got a CMMG handguard on my 5.56 and I like it a lot.

I ordered some Vortex scope shims from Optics Planet and they sent me an extended slide release for a Glock. I called CS at OP and the SOB on the phone all but called me a liar and said that he would "review the tapes". Several days later I got notice of a shipment from OP and finally got my shims delivered but OP can pound sand from now on as far as I'm concerned. The extended release fit my 27 so I guess I came out ahead on that deal.

On the other hand, I bought a lower parts kit from Strike Industries mainly because of the price and I was surprised by the good quality of everything in it. I even changed out a few working parts on my rifle with the Strike parts because they were better.
                          Last edited by Crusty; 12-30-2017, 09:59 PM.
                          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Just an update on my 18” Faxon Group Buy Build. My barrel arrived last Thursday and I was out of town. A Friend who lives nearby collects our mail so my barrel was there waiting on me. I was going to assemble the upper Tuesday at my Friend’s gun shop. The shop ran out of propane over the long weekend with 0 degree temperatures, so no heat. Propane was delivered yesterday and went to the shop today.

Barrel looks great and got the barrel mounted into the receiver. I bedded the barrel extension and gas block with blue Permatex thread locker. I had the front of the receiver lapped for a couple weeks. Got my 12” ALG EMR-V0 hand guard mounted and the short rail cleared the gas block at 6 O clock. I went to put on the YHM bipod stud adapter on the short rail and it only fits in one groove, basically doesn’t fit on the short rail. I decided to take the short rail off the bottom of the hand guard since the stud adapter didn’t fit. There is not enough meat in the hand guard to drill a hole for a bipod stud.

I ended up using a Harris sling swivel stud adapter intended for milspec round hand guard. I had to place the stud a little further to the rear to clear the gas block but it works. I may eventually fabricate another way to mount the bipod stud in the rail but at least the stud is there.

I only test fired the rifle with one round to verify I hadn’t got thread locker around the gas port. The rifle fired, bolt locked back on empty mag and brass landed at 4-5 O Clock. I should be GTG just want to give time for the thread locker to cure.

I really like the balance of the 18” faxon barrel. I think this rifle is going to be a keeper. I was thrown a couple curves since this hand guard is ALG specific and not as flexiable as Keymod or M-Lok hand guards. I do like the feel of the ALG hand guard and there is plenty of clearence for my YHM gas block in side the hand guard.
                            Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

The lower is an Anderson with CMMG LPK, RRA NM trigger, DS Arms 6 position milspec stock and A-2 grip. The upper is an Anderson with a PSA Nitride bolt carrier and Monster Group Buy 6.5 Grendel bolt, mil spec DPMS charging handle with Badger Ordinance extanded latch, A-2 flash hider, YHM fixed gas block and CMMG mid length gas tube. The group buy 18” Faxon barrel fit the upper pretty good with the slightest slop. The blue thread locker should enhance this barrels potential accuracy. I put an old Tasco 2.5-10x44 Japanese made scope in a RRA mount on till I get better scope for this build.

This is a budget build but I like this style of butt stock and grip and use them on most of my AR-15’s.

3399E93C-3E09-4BF1-844E-C6F2490B7E0F by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow and I can get the scope sighted in and do a better function check.
                              Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                                3399E93C-3E09-4BF1-844E-C6F2490B7E0F by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow and I can get the scope sighted in and do a better function check.
                                You must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for parts.

It looks really nice. I like the old school Tasco look.

I'll bet it shoots like there is no tomorrow.

I like that stock too. I should have bought another instead of some new age stock I bought instead.

Now I have a tear in my eye remembering the olden days.

Comment

Working...
                                X