• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Bulk AA brass for sale at Midsouth

Has anyone checked this bulk Grendel brass (for sale at Midsouth.com, believe it is AA but Hornady made...?) to see if it is the same dimensions/volume etc as Hornady, or perhaps as the older AA Lapua... or is this some new setup that could change our recipes...? Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks. Got a couple hundred coming in...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

EVERY time you change a component, even the same make but different lot number can make a difference.
    It really depends on what accuracy you are trying to achieve.

Bench rest or F-Class would make a huge difference.
    Anything else maybe not so much.

But definitely when you change your brass make, you need to adjust your load.
    Just weigh 2 different makes of brass and you will see the difference. Different weights, different volume, different pressure, different velocity all equal different points of impact....

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

O yeah, I plan to test like you say! Just wondering if anyone else has done it already....

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
        EVERY time you change a component, even the same make but different lot number can make a difference.
        It really depends on what accuracy you are trying to achieve.

Bench rest or F-Class would make a huge difference.
        Anything else maybe not so much.

But definitely when you change your brass make, you need to adjust your load.
        Just weigh 2 different makes of brass and you will see the difference. Different weights, different volume, different pressure, different velocity all equal different points of impact....
        How much in weight difference before you should be concerned?

I went through all my once fired Hornady brass, same lot# of Black ammo, and had weights on an empty case that ranged from 113.2 grains to 118.9 grains. A majority (75%) of them were in the 115 to 116 range.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 41bear
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

I bought 100 and the length of all I've checked so far is 1.514 - 1.5145. Made a dummy load for my 18" ARP barrel and came up with a COAL of 2.2745 using the Lehigh 110 gr. Will start loading today with AA2230 and H322, the only suitable powders I have on hand at the moment. The ARP barrel takes the case without having to size first. Also tried dummy in my cheap Anderson barrel, tight chamber with short throat, had to size brass to get it to fall freely in that barrel, even then dummy got stuck so it appears that with the Anderson I'll only fire factory loads/Wolf steel or just replace once I've played with it for a little while.
          "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            How much in weight difference before you should be concerned?

I went through all my once fired Hornady brass, same lot# of Black ammo, and had weights on an empty case that ranged from 113.2 grains to 118.9 grains. A majority (75%) of them were in the 115 to 116 range.
            Sticks:

I wouldn't be as concerned about brass weight as make and even given a change in brass make, I doubt you will see a performance change given the same loads.

You can go down the path of weighing brass, neck turning, primer pocket reaming etc if you want. After about a year of it you will find it to be a gigantic waste of time, money, and effort.

Even with a bolt gun and even if you shoot that bolt gun at 800 and beyond.

Sure, inspect new brass for any visual problems, measure a few to make sure they are within length, reduce any burrs on the necks and then spend time developing a load for your sport or purpose and instead of wasting it weighing brass etc, train and get better.

Do inspect the brass periodically for over all length and do trim if needed but that is about it.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Thank you LR55.

I am still trying to figure out why I am not getting a velocity node in my powders. Trying to rule out or eliminate the simple. If 1 or 2 grains of brass in a case weight makes that much of a pressure/velocity variance, then I'll group by case weight.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread topic...
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

I have some physical measurements of 10 random AA-brass (bulk) and 10 random Hornady brass for comparison below.
                The only significant difference I see in this sample is that the AA brass is slightly heavier, the oal lengths and the shoulder data (L(c)) seem pretty close.

Brass AA wt,,,,,Hd wt,,,,,AA Oal,,,,,Hd Oal,,,,,AA L(c),,,,,Hd (Lc)
                1 ,,,,,,116.0,,,,,114.3,,,,,1.515,,,,,1.5135,,,,,,1. 213,,,,,,1.213
                2 ,,,,,,115.5,,,,,112.8,,,,,1.5115,,,,,1.512,,,,,1.2 115,,,,,1.213
                3 ,,,,,,114.8,,,,,113.7,,,,,1.514,,,,,,1.5115,,,,,1. 212,,,,,1.213
                4 ,,,,,,115.4,,,,,114.7,,,,,1.5125,,,,,1.512,,,,,1.2 12,,,,,1.212
                5 ,,,,,,115.0,,,,,113.5,,,,,1.512,,,,, 1.514,,,,,1.212,,,,,,1.2125
                6 ,,,,,,115.8,,,,,114.6,,,,,1.511,,,,, 1.5125,,,,,1.211,,,,,1.212
                7 ,,,,,,115.7,,,,,113.5,,,,,1.5125,,,,,1.5115,,,,,1. 2115,,,,,1.212
                8 ,,,,,,115.4,,,,,114.2,,,,,1.512,,,,,,1.512 ,.,.,,,1.212,,,,,1.213
                9 ,,,,,,115.5,,,,,115.0,,,,,1.5115,,,,,1.5115,,,,,1. 212 ,,,,,1.2135
                10 ,,,,,,115.9,,,,,114.5,,,,,1.5145,,,,,1.513,,,,,1.2 13,,,,,1.213

Avg ,,,,,,115.5,,,,,114.1,,,,,1.5127,,,,,1.5124,,,,,1. 2120,,,,,1.2127
                SD ,,,0.38006,,,,0.68280,,,,0.00136,,,,0.00088,,,,,0. 00062,,,,,0.00054

Total wt 1155.0 1140.8

This is a pic to try to show column alignments:

Brass-stats.jpg

There's got to be a better way to insert a small table....

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Thank you LR55.

I am still trying to figure out why I am not getting a velocity node in my powders. Trying to rule out or eliminate the simple. If 1 or 2 grains of brass in a case weight makes that much of a pressure/velocity variance, then I'll group by case weight.

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

On a bolt release cambering, I do not get any increase in COAL. Might be that the extra push/bounce is hitting harder. I will bring my tools with me and measure a next in line case when shooting.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Thank you LR55.

Sticks:

A better question may be 'are my loads meeting my shooting requirements?'.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                        Sticks:

A better question may be 'are my loads meeting my shooting requirements?'.

LR55
                        PM inbound, I don't want to derail this thread with my issues.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Sorry guys.

Need a reminder myself to stick to the topic sometimes.

LR55

Comment

• Effenpig
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2017

Regular Hornady brass is back in stock at Midsouth and slightly cheaper than the AA stamped Hornady

Comment

• Cornbread
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2015

If you are running max loads in one case and switch to another brand with less capacity you could have issues. Even Hornady has 2 different head stamps for 6.8 brass that are at opposite ends of the case volume spread.

Comment

Working...
                              X