• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryeguy
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Franklin Binary Firing Systen and the 6.5 Grendel

Last weekend I put my Anderson/Wolf upper on my duty PSA lower with the lickety split trigger (Franklin BFS Gen3). I've been meaning to do that for a couple months but was having too much fun getting used to it with a variety of 5.56 uppers. I have an adequate supply of WPA so ammo cost and availability wasn't a consideration.

My goal, outside of having a blast, was to get reasonably accurate 2 and 6 round bursts. Shooting was off sandbags at the bench to 50 yards That didn't work out so well with the more energetic 6.5 Grendel round. I was lucky to get half the 2nd shots on a silhouette and a quarter the 3rd to 6th shots on target.

All I could manage was 45 rounds for that session. By the way, the setup ran well with one hammer follow stoppage using the heavy duty buffer spring that Franklin supplies. The extra heavy spring may be needed for more reliable 6.5 Grendel operation.

Maybe next time I'll try shooting from the hip - it could actually be easier to control.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Well thank you for the report. The lack of hitting your target probably should not be a surprise. I suspect that with time, you could work out the Grendel recoil and learn to control it better, but that could get pricey, LOL.

Still seems like it could be a lot of fun!
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Schrambo
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Oh, yeah... I had a registered HK sear pack (in CO) a few years ago, and it was a gigglefit on the range...

I decided to save on ammo, sold it, and can now retire next year...

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

With less recoil could you keep the 5.56 second shots on target?

When I first saw a video of the Echo trigger I wondered if anyone had ever hunted with one. Being able to send two bullets to close to the same spot before the animal has a chance to move...would be devastating.

I remembered a review of a .22LR rimfire full-auto police weapon invented in the '70s. It fired so fast and the recoil was so light that it could put many bullets in the same hole. It was effective because each bullet went deeper.

You could use the double shot on hogs in Texas. Seems to me you could drop down to a 5.56 and possibly stop more pigs with the initial volley; fewer would be able to run off.
        Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-06-2017, 03:45 AM.
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

A comp would likely help with keeping you a target a bit more efficiently.

Comment

• howl
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Is there no directional muzzle brake to counter being pushed off target? I need to look into one, myself. I suspect the trouble will be that if there is one, it will be made for backward shooters.

Comment

• ItsRainingLead
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2017

I have a Franklin BFS3 trigger I've tried in a few lowers. I've tried the following calibers. I've found that the recoil impulse is different enough that it makes getting second rounds on target, for some calibers, difficult.

223/556 w/ brake - easy, rapid fire from a bipod shreds at 50ish yards - I put my support hand on top of the barrel to keep it from jumping too much. Standing double taps pretty easy.
              7.62x39 w/ brake - moderate to difficult, rapid fire from a bipod results in fair accuracy. Hand on top of handguard improves results. Standing double taps almost impossible for me with any accuracy
              Grendel w/o brake - easy to moderate, rapid fire from a bipod is not as bad as the 7.62x39 but can still get jumpy. Hand on top of handguard improves results. Standing double taps somewhat reliable for me.

I like the BFS3 trigger, it is a LOT of fun. But, at the end of the day, it's a novelty. I've resigned it to the lower that drives my 7.62x39, even though it is the most difficult to use with it - primarily because I run a lot of cheap steel case through it and it's a cheap setup that I don't care about abusing. You can get behind it on a bipod and still have fun. I've found I prefer quality single stage triggers with 'no' reset, those produce more accurate double taps, for me. If the semi-automatic mode of the trigger had better feel - to me - I'd like it better.
              Last edited by ItsRainingLead; 12-06-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• ryeguy
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2017

It's the end of the day and where am I re BFS3.

1) Sitting here mulling over 6.5G muzzle brake options. I dislike muzzle blast more than recoil. Do I need 2 quick accurate shots from a 6.5G or 7.62 NATO under any scenario that a fat old man is liable to encounter? Nope. Work on position, control, & conditioning? Yep, if I'm having fun doing it.

2) Work on 5.56 doubles & more. Maybe even gain some degree of proficiency with an AR15 pistol. I know that will be fun. Hog hunt with one? Not likely but it could happen. Son & grandson just went but I haven't heard how that turned out.

It was good to get some feedback on others ideas and experiences. Thanks, gents.

Comment

• diddlyv
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2016

There was a reason the army took the selector switch off the M-14, light rifles and reasonably high power rounds firing full auto have a tendency to never hit the target with more than 1 round. The grendel will recoil more heavily than the parent 5.56 without any additional weigh so there we are back with the same problem we have with the M-14 on full auto.

The truth be told even with the old m-16 one could not hit shit on grease and go other than maybe the first round on then only if the sights were actually being used and the rifle had a good zero
                  Queen of Battle
                  Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Jaggy13
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ryeguy View Post
                    It's the end of the day and where am I re BFS3.

1) Sitting here mulling over 6.5G muzzle brake options. I dislike muzzle blast more than recoil. Do I need 2 quick accurate shots from a 6.5G or 7.62 NATO under any scenario that a fat old man is liable to encounter? Nope. Work on position, control, & conditioning? Yep, if I'm having fun doing it.

2) Work on 5.56 doubles & more. Maybe even gain some degree of proficiency with an AR15 pistol. I know that will be fun. Hog hunt with one? Not likely but it could happen. Son & grandson just went but I haven't heard how that turned out.

It was good to get some feedback on others ideas and experiences. Thanks, gents.
                    The biggest thing you need is weight. a light gas gun is just going to buck to much to have accurate shots that quick. you might have some luck with a suppressor. but even on my 18" grendel suppressed, my shot call take a .10 of a second or so. My guess is that you may keep a string in a silhouette but not much more than that. If you get the rifle locked down, and take a single fire shot, see where your optic is aimed when it settles. That's more or less where your next shot is going to land. If you can load up the bipod or bags and muscle the gun under singe fire and keep the reticle close to where you want it, then start sending a burst. That way you can fine tune the muscle memory you need to keep the shots near the center.
                    I've done a similar drill on a barret 50 cal where once you call your correction you send 6 as fast as you can pull the trigger. It's similar, you just kind of ride the gun and figure out what you need to do to keep it close to the center.

Good luck! Sound like some fun training!

Comment

Working...
                    X