• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5_fanatic
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

New from Mississippi

I'm John from Mississippi. I'm looking at building a Grendel to do some hog and deer hunting. I will be shooting 100 to 120 grain bullets. Will a 1 in 9 twist be better for these or will a 1 in 8 twist to just as good?

Thanks
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welecome to the forum 6.5_fanatic!

Both will work but the 1:8 is a little more versatile if you ever plan on shooting long monolithic bullets or bullets over 123-125 grains. The longer barrels help stabalize longer bullets better with 1:9 twist but the move to long monolithic bullets today, I’d prefer a 1:8 twist. Bill Alexander’s testing showed the 6.5 Grendel barrels shorter than 18” benefitted from a faster twist. The traditional twist for the 264 Win Mag, 6.5X55, 6.5 Carcano and 6.5 M/S was 1:9.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde from a transplanted Mississippian. I would also go 1:8 twist on a Grendel barrel for those monometal bullets or the 129 or 130 gr bullets if you ever venture to them

Comment

• zcostilla
        Warrior
        • Aug 2017

Welcome
        -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas! The 8T will give you more versatility ( a broader range of bullet weights ), would be a better choice.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the gorum 6.5_fanatic. I am currently using 100gr Sierra bullets for pigs and so far really like the prrformance

Comment

Working...
            X