Thread: sunday buck.

sunday buck.

Sunday morning I took an eight point buck with Hornady 123 gr. AMAX.

This is the 2nd deer I've taken this year with this cartridge. Each time, the deer have been DRT and the I've gotten complete pass through of the projectile with barely discernible entrance wounds. Exit wounds have been 6.5 caliber holes.

Both kills were above or about the shoulders so I'm curious why the round is knocking 'em down instantly, even though I'm not seeing large tissue damage?

Not that I'm complaining, much the opposite. I'm thrilled I get so much usable meat. I'm just curious why its working so well.

High shoulder shoot puts them down quick.

Warrior
    Are you clipping the back bone, that will drop them like a rock. Sometimes you hit rib close enough to the backbone and deliver enough shock to drop them then secondary projectiles from the bullet coming apart kills them before the recover from the shock

What distance and what barrel length?

Have you chronographed that round in your rifle?

123g AMAX has pretty rapid expansion, good weight retention, and deep penetration.

Twist rate also seems to be an overlooked factor all these years.

Have you updated the Game Knock-Down Survey?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    What distance and what barrel length?

Have you chronographed that round in your rifle?

123g AMAX has pretty rapid expansion, good weight retention, and deep penetration.

Twist rate also seems to be an overlooked factor all these years.

Have you updated the Game Knock-Down Survey?
    Distance was 80-ish yrds. with a 20" 1/8 twist saturn barrel.

No haven't chronographed the round, its Hornady though so the data is out there.

I saw very little wound effects, to be honest. And the exit wound was just a bullet hole.
    One thing I failed to mention in my initial post was that as I was gut piling him I literally had to do it purely by feel in his upper cavitiy because they was so much blood my hands were fully immersed in it.

From that I know I hit something important, but not his heart, it was untouched. I did not fully examine his lungs. they seemed in good shape.