X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Kilco, "thick and rugged" makes me wonder if the capacity of Starline is less than comparable cases. What you think?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
      Kilco, "thick and rugged" makes me wonder if the capacity of Starline is less than comparable cases. What you think?
      Johnny (reloading bench) put a warning in one of his videos that .223 Starline brass has less capacity than most others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO02...Gp1dH&index=38
      Jump ahead to about 6:30.
      Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-15-2017, 03:42 PM.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• 41bear
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

In my experience, yes, Starline is heavier and takes a smaller charge to equal speed/pressure of other cases thus I will start lower when developing Grendel loads with it and will stay about 1 1/2 gr. under what is max in other cases.
        "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          Johnny (reloading bench) put a warning in one of his videos that .223 Starline brass has less capacity than most others. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO02...Gp1dH&index=38
          Jump ahead to about 6:30.
          Excellent comparison and good video....

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
            Absolutely.

My 6.8 load for 90gr gold dots using Hornady brass was 30.2 grains CFEBLK.

When I switched to starline I reduced my first batch to 29.5gr. (Should have went lower). First shot popped a primer. Literally no joke my first popped primer in years of shooting/handloading for AR type rifles.

I'm finding the brass to be very strong. 5 reloads and primer pockets are still very tight.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
              I use starline in 10mm, 357 Sig, and 6.8 SPC and have had awesome results with all.

The 6.8 brass is very thick and rugged, and I'm assuming the Grendel brass will be similar. I caution everyone moving from Lapua or Hornady brass to do a separate load workup with the starline.
              Do you think the necks might be too thick for sizing down to 6mm? I'm torn between waiting or ordering the AA headstamped Hornady brass at Midsouth (either one would allow me to keep headstamps separate from 6.5)
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                Do you think the necks might be too thick for sizing down to 6mm? I'm torn between waiting or ordering the AA headstamped Hornady brass at Midsouth (either one would allow me to keep headstamps separate from 6.5)
                All the guru 6mmAR guys, Robert Whitley included deemed the Hornady brass ideal for necking down to 6mm. The neck seems to have the perfect thickness where you don't have to turn, don't get donuts, no trimming, and the necks remain ideally concentric.

Based on my experience with Hornady Grendel brass so far, even starline will have a hard time pulling me away.

10-12 reloads using a max charge of 8208 under a 123gr bullet still impresses me... and primer pockets are relatively tight when I chuck as well.

Comment

• Trashy
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

+1 on the Starline 10 mm auto brass, load it heavy with cast HP with Sage GCs, it holds up better than the federal.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Rat b@stards. 6mm creedmoor is listed below Grendel on the Coming Soon portion of their website and they it is shipping on 12/20. I guess they’ll start making the Grrr after the holidays.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• RWM49
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2018

Starline brass availble now. Got 250 of them last week..

Comment

• hill37
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

What do you think of it?

Comment

• mdewitt71
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

here is some info-

I was one of the first if not the first to have the new brass (blessings of living down the road from Starline and Sierra :cool:) and although I was TDY and didnt get to play much with them, I did get asked about some measurements on them. I am home now and got to throw em in the calipers and on scale so here we go. I took
                          ― George Orwell

Comment

• velomaxx
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2014

PF is offering Starline brass for his loads if I read his last message correctly. Something about Lapua backlogs.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

I thought PF was getting out of the Grendel ammo business. I'd missed an update where he committed to continue. Happens all the time, especially downrange!
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• keith13b
                                Unwashed
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by RWM49 View Post
                                Starline brass availble now. Got 250 of them last week..
                                Thanks for the update. They also have .50 Beowulf in stock.....in case anyone cares. I bought both.

Comment

Working...
                                X