• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

School Me 14.5 vs 14.7 65G Middy

In the 5.56 world, I believe some vendors started offering 14.7 mid-length barrels, instead of 14.5, because it was necessary in order to get a standard A2 flash hider over the 16" minimum length. True?

How important is it that a similar 6.5 Grendel barrel accommodates pinned A2 flash hiders?

And is 14.7 the correct length needed with an A2, or is it some other dimension?

Please vote in the poll, and discuss.
    14.5 mid-length gas system
    0%
    14.7 mid-length gas system
    0%
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Yes, that is where the 14.7" CLGS came from, mostly for people wanting to duplicate the exact look of an M4 without needing an SBR Stamp Tax and not wanting the elongated A2 comp-looking thing on the end.

Neither of the poll choices will work for an M4/SOPMOD 1 build because they are MLGS, but either would work for a SOPMOD Block II free float build.

Now that telescoping pistol braces are the rage, it doesn't matter as much unless you were building an M4 look-alike Grendel and wanted that 14.5" look without stamp tax, the main determining factor being what buttstock you'll be using.

If your buttstock choice is based on duplicating the look of an M4 or even RO723 or RO727 (M16A2 Carbines), then you'll want the 14.7" barrel with a pinned A2 or other muzzle device, Surefire being more common on the SOPMOD guns nowadays.

My inclination is that people don't care as much about the M4 look, will slap an SB Tactical or Maxim Defense PDW tele-brace on there and go with whatever shorter pistol barrel they want.

That's the boat I'm in currently, with my 12" group buy build that will be suppressed probably all of the time.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Troutguide
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

My thoughts are that if you add .2" and it makes it easier to pin an A2 and make it a legal rifle then just add the .2" and be done with it. No reason to limit options for such a small difference. I honestly don't know the length of an A2 but if LRRPF52 says it is so I believe him. For me being able to make as short as possible but adding a real stock would be nice. My range won't let me shoot a "pistol" or "SBR" on the 100yd range.
      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• CastorTroy
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

i would like a 14" as that is the shortest you can go and stay legal with pinned surefire muzzle devices

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
          My thoughts are that if you add .2" and it makes it easier to pin an A2 and make it a legal rifle then just add the .2" and be done with it. No reason to limit options for such a small difference. I honestly don't know the length of an A2 but if LRRPF52 says it is so I believe him.
          +1. The bigger question is what profile, estimated weight and will a 6.5 bullet fit through a Faxon slim compensator
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

For ease on one of mine I did get the FN middy in 14.7, easy to pin without the goofy looking extra long FH. Noticeable difference to me in length than a 16" with FH, I would have gone with a 6.5 in 14.5 or 14.7 if I could have found one at the time I was shopping.

Comment

• worthen86ford
              Warrior
              • May 2016

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

A 14.7 GB would just about do me in, lol

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

In the 5.56 world you can get a 14.7 and use a stock A2 hider, or get a .2" longer hider and use a stock 14.5 barrel, which some want to do. (Colt m4, sopmod, or similar 14.5")

It's a wash either way for pinned carbines

If not trying to use an existing 14.5, I lean toward just getting the 14.7.

And all that is moot if building pistols.

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by worthen86ford View Post
                    I think the 14.7 would be about right. More options at that point for muzzle devices. I sure hope this dicussion leads to what i’m hoping... 14.7 middy group buy?
                    I'm still waiting on the Monster GB carrier.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

14.7" would make a great option for a lightweight hunter with the right barrel profile.

Muzzle velocities with 123gr factory tend to be in the 2350-2420fps range with 14.5" pipes.

With the 123gr SST, that gives you hunting reach at least out to 325yds, which is more than most will ever take a shot.

2350fps mv 123gr SST .462 G1

250yds 1921fps 1008 ft-lbs

325yds 1803fps 888ft-lbs
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 65Whelen
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I can see the logic in a 14.7 it give you a wider choice of barrel treatments and make the 16" minimum length. For me I bought the 14.5 barrel and before I bought the Smith Vortex I made sure it was the 1.5 needed to get 16". This make a really sweet deer gun matched up with Nosler 129 ABLR.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2019

Any plans to make either? 14.5 or 14.7?
                          4x P100

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

My 14.5" Lija that Rebby set me up with is awesome!

Comment

• lazyengineer
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2019

Neat. Trying to find a 14.5 or 14.7 Grendel barrel right now is not so easy!
                              4x P100

Comment

Working...
                              X