X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Sierra continues their entries in the bullet "arms race." They've got a new .30 200gr using their new ogive that looks suspiciously like my mocked-up 115gr using that ogive. See photos attached below.

The more I look at it the more I think well-designed, lighter weight 6.5mms can give the 6mms a run for their money.

The 6.5mm 150 SMK has a 0.713 BC. What if its 115gr version had a BC of 0.550 and could be launched at 2675, or faster, from a 24" barrel? Hmmm. . . .
    Attached Files
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by CavityBackBullets View Post
      Have you guys even tried our 105 grain and 118 grain MKZ's
      The 118 grain has a tested confirmed to 100 yards .505 G1 BC
      The 105 grain is .480 G1
      Both have been proven from hogs to Elk for over a year now.
      In a solid copper hunting bullet they are exactly what you guys are calling for.
      How fast they will run will surprise you as well.

As far as accuracy is concerned Predatordown took them to 1000 yards at sub .7 MOA.
      He wont hunt with his Grendel with anything else, ask him.
      Hey CBB...I'll give your 118's a try; but I'm also interested in the 168 gr .308. Any BC info on those?
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• jason miller
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

It's probably got the 27 caliber ogive that they keep using on all their newest match kings. What's suspicious about that? And if it's as aerodynamic as a Berger 140 hybrid, which it probably is, then it won't fit in a Grendel at 2.260", no matter how much it weighs. My point was that the most aerodynamic bullet you could possibly make that would fit in a Grendel at AR mag length so that the ogive is barely off the neck mouth, it's gonna be a mile from the lands and probably shoot like schit. The bullets already available probably strike the best balance we could hope for, and I'm sure that any improvement would be less significant than 10%. Ten percent would mean taking a 123 Scenar from .518 to .5695. That's higher than any 130 on the market until the new RDF proves otherwise. I'm curious to see how those 130 RDF's do for you if you plan on loading them at mag length, btw. I'm betting not well. A 129 long range Accubond is probably about as aerodynamic of an ogive that would fit at 2.260", and they'd probably shoot like crap if they weren't a bonded hunting bullet. They might shoot like crap anyway. The one rifle I tried to work up a load for with a LRAB years ago didn't like them at all, and it was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

I'm with you in that I would like to shoot the most aerodynamic bullets possible. I've got some 130 RDF's on the way myself for my Howa, which I really hope likes them. But I just don't see the manufacturers redesigning the existing 123's or adding another intermediate weight for what would probably be a pretty small market for them- especially since Hornady just launched their ELD line and Sierra just came out with two new tipped match kings. And I'm not sure that the 123's currently available and the new 107 TMK might not already be the most aerodynamic bullets that they feel will still be accurate most of the time in most of their customers' rifles.

Edit to add: Do you really think it's possible to design a 115 grain .264" bullet with a G1 of .550 that fits in a Grendel case at 2.260"? I do not. But I'd love to have one and run it through my bolt rifle. I just don't think I'll ever see that. The market probably isn't there.

Edit to add more: You don't need to design a 6 Grendel and it isn't a project. People are already shooting them, and other various variants of the 6 PPC, and have been for years. The only thing "new" about shooting an improved 6 PPC(and a Grendel is just another variation of an improved PPC case) is making them fast-twist for more aerodynamic bullets that have been increasingly more available lately. If my old 6 PPC had a 1:8" twist instead of 1:12", I'd never have even considered a Grendel.
        Last edited by jason miller; 01-14-2018, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          Lee offers a custom mold service where you supply the design, they do the design and make the molds on approval from what I have read, not cheap but an option. https://leeprecision.com/custom-serv...-bullet-molds/
          What a great idea. A group mold buy.

Comment

Working...
          X