• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the 140g molds and wondering why those designs couldn't be shortened?
    There is a 125g mold available but I'd prefer lighter than that.
    I'm wanting plinking bullets but would like them to be relatively accurate out to 300-500 yards? Possible?
    Hard cast with a small amount of tin and antimony. Powder coated for velocities up to 2500fps.

Custom molds are expensive and I will have to learn a lot about bullet design before I spent the money.
    I love the idea though, when even the cheapest (on sale) jacketed factory .264 bullets are 20-25 cents each.
    I'm not set up yet but will cast 9mm and .224 bullets first.
    Randy:

There are four or five threads on cast bullets for the Grendel. I think they will help you out if you want to go the cast bullet route.

LR55

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
      BFT - what’s wrong with the 110 gr TRex ? It’s 1.285” long with BC of 0.45 and opens up around 1800 FPS. You want BC >0.5 ?
      If we're talking copper solids, I'd like a bullet shorter and lighter for more velocity — all-copper holds together at any weight. And, yes, I really want to use a hybrid nose like Berger uses to optimize BC and get as close to 0.500 BC as possible to retain velocity and hit harder. (Why not stand out from competition? There are plenty of Me-Too bullets.)
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

I'm inclined to agree with your 115 idea in the OP. Get a bullet in that class with a G1 of .500 or better that we can push along at 2650+ in at least an 18" AR.

Cost would be a factor as well. I know hunters don't mind paying $1 a pill, but target shooters will stick with what is available I would think. Pricing needs to be comparable to what else is out there.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Mopardoctor
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

How about a VLD jacket with a lighter core? Aluminum instead of lead.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Don't loose sight of the fact mass is part of the BC equation as in the sectional density of the bullet. A heavier bullet made of say lead and guilding metal will have a higher bc than one with the same form factor made of less dense material like copper.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by kmon View Post
              don't loose sight of the fact mass is part of the bc equation as in the sectional density of the bullet. A heavier bullet made of say lead and guilding metal will have a higher bc than one with the same form factor made of less dense material like copper.
              ^this^

This thread has two sub-threads going. Started out talking about Grendel-optimized target bullets. More recently moved to Grendel-optimized solid copper hunting bullets. Either is cool.

Just need new bullets for 65G!
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• ItsRainingLead
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                ^this^

This thread has two sub-threads going. Started out talking about Grendel-optimized target bullets. More recently moved to Grendel-optimized solid copper hunting bullets. Either is cool.

Just need new bullets for 65G!
                Is there a bullet that can do a 'good enough' job at both of these tasks?

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ItsRainingLead View Post
                  Is there a bullet that can do a 'good enough' job at both of these tasks?
                  If you want to settle.

The 123gr class is as good as it get's currently. I don't know that anyone hunts with the Lapua 123gr Scenar (which if memory serves is best in class and you pay for it), it is a hollow point so some expansion I think would be expected.

Some states have Lead Free requirements for hunting, ergo the need for a LFP. Likewise some hunters do not want stray lead in their meat - which I thought that where you have the bullet path, that meat was waste from trauma. I don't hunt so...
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

Have you guys even tried our 105 grain and 118 grain MKZ's
                    The 118 grain has a tested confirmed to 100 yards .505 G1 BC
                    The 105 grain is .480 G1
                    Both have been proven from hogs to Elk for over a year now.
                    In a solid copper hunting bullet they are exactly what you guys are calling for.
                    How fast they will run will surprise you as well.

As far as accuracy is concerned Predatordown took them to 1000 yards at sub .7 MOA.
                    He wont hunt with his Grendel with anything else, ask him.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2015

IRL,

I can vouch for Cavity Back Bullets, not that they need to be vouched for. I use them for coyotes, deer the 118gr MKZ is an extremely accurate bullet. Over 30.5 of CFE223 it travels at 2460 out of my 20 inch heavy barrel Howa. I took my first coyote the other day at 300 yards. 100 yard 3 shot groups were .62 inches. Great bullet, great G1 BC, expands at low FPS. Very happy customer! No a paid shill, buy with confidence A2

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
                        IRL,

I can vouch for Cavity Back Bullets, not that they need to be vouched for. I use them for coyotes, deer the 118gr MKZ is an extremely accurate bullet. Over 30.5 of CFE223 it travels at 2460 out of my 20 inch heavy barrel Howa. I took my first coyote the other day at 300 yards. 100 yard 3 shot groups were .62 inches. Great bullet, great G1 BC, expands at low FPS. Very happy customer! No a paid shill, buy with confidence A2
                        You are getting velocities out of your 20" that I get with Hornady 123 ELD out of my 18" with the same charge.

This solves the mid weight hunting round but not the target round.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          You are getting velocities out of your 20" that I get with Hornady 123 ELD out of my 18" with the same charge.

This solves the mid weight hunting round but not the target round.
                          You can push it faster. Substantially faster if you want.
                          Of note is when Predatordown took them to 1000 yards at sub .7 MOA he only pushed them 2450 FPS with a mild charge.
                          I know of no other bullet that can boast that and 2.5x caliber expansion at as low an opening speed and still hold together at Creedmoor speeds.
                          I know I cannot out shoot the man which is why I went to him to test. We have since become friends, a really good guy like most all the folks here.

Comment

• Makerbullets
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by CavityBackBullets View Post
                            Have you guys even tried our 105 grain and 118 grain MKZ's
                            The 118 grain has a tested confirmed to 100 yards .505 G1 BC
                            The 105 grain is .480 G1
                            Both have been proven from hogs to Elk for over a year now.
                            In a solid copper hunting bullet they are exactly what you guys are calling for.
                            How fast they will run will surprise you as well.

As far as accuracy is concerned Predatordown took them to 1000 yards at sub .7 MOA.
                            He wont hunt with his Grendel with anything else, ask him.
                            These are good to go. They are very accurate and expand as designed.

Comment

• jason miller
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

At the Grendel's sedate velocities, I personally believe that an A-Max, ELD, or TMK should do just fine on whitetails or smaller. And I'd be taking a different rifle anyway for elk. If it matters to anyone, I shot a handloaded 123 A-Max at over 2600 fps and factory Hornady A-Max loads at 2400ish FPS from my rifle into milk jugs full of water at both 25 yards(handload) and 440 yards(factory). They held together just fine at 25 and still opened up at 440.

I caught a couple bullets today. First was a handload that clocked 2614 fps on its way to the jugs at 25 paces. It made a tiny dent in the back of the 3rd, but the jacket and core were laying in the bottom of that jug. Combined weight for the two pieces is 68.2 grains. It looks just like I had...

Comment

• grayfox
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2017

So........... following up. Where are we on this, did we find any takers on possibly creating a few new styles like mentioned? Just wondering or is this kind of a dead end for now.
                                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X