X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlcc
    Warrior
    • Feb 2016

Wow,I can't believe how quickly this is moving along.Lots of good ideas and input here.Very interesting indeed!

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Yeah, I'm really liking this........... and copper-solid is a nice way to start....... guess deep down I yearn for a bonded core.......
      But I'm still a fan - learning a lot too.
      BFT great idea to get this ball rolling.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Troutguide
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        BFT:

I'm reading what BFT wrote, and for the record I don't have any personal experience in this, just learn from what's already out there. In the Grendel Handbook vol 2 (p. 49) it seems to suggest otherwise for the 100 gr ttsx, ie, at higher velocities there is more expansion, up to 2x more than the lowest in the table and rather linear with velocity. Plus, I'm thinking that Barnes et al may have some good reasons for the tip sizes they chose...
        Just my thoughts of course...
        For economy sake what MakerB says, makes some sense...
        I think this is more of a minimum expansion threshold issue than anything. Thats why we are asking for a bullet designed for the Grendel velocities with low end expansion in mind. The 100 TTSX is designed to be pushed much faster as far as i can tell, or used at shorter ranges. If they are going to maximize the potential range of a bullet they might as well design it to expand way out there.
        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
          I think this is more of a minimum expansion threshold issue than anything. Thats why we are asking for a bullet designed for the Grendel velocities with low end expansion in mind. The 100 TTSX is designed to be pushed much faster as far as i can tell, or used at shorter ranges. If they are going to maximize the potential range of a bullet they might as well design it to expand way out there.
          Good point. Did we say back there anything about a min opening velocity? If not, then how about ~1500-1600 so we take advantage of the Grrr. Probably too much to ask for 1300 like the ABLR...

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Makerbullets View Post
            This should give you expansion close to 750 yds (1600 fps). We have a window of about 800 - 1200fps, depending on a number of factors, that we can shift around in the velocity range. Look it over...
            This

The 100 TTSX is listed a 2000 min opening at about 350yd in the LFP thread.
            Last edited by Troutguide; 12-12-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Good point. Did we say back there anything about a min opening velocity? If not, then how about ~1500-1600 so we take advantage of the Grrr. Probably too much to ask for 1300 like the ABLR...
              That is part of what I was thinking about when posted earlier in this thread for say a 110gr LRAB

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Good. 1600 works. 2000, even 1800, is too high IMO.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  Randy:

A .264 diameter round ball weighs around 30 grains. A 100 grain, 6.5mm cast bullet would be around 3/4 inch, be a flat base, and have about a 4 ogive.

That's why the 6.5 mm molds you see are in the 140 plus grain weights.

LR55
                  Sorry I have no idea of what you are saying. You suggest I design something around 3/4" long, flat base and 4 ogive?
                  And why are the molds all in the 140g+ range?
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Troutguide
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Lead is so dense that in a cast bullet you can only get a 100 gr bullet to those specs if you make any larger than 3/4 inch it will be heavier. Thats why you need an alloy or copper to reduce total density. Think about a 22LR bullet at 40 gr how big would two and a half of those be melted together? Not a full size 6.5 bullet.
                    Last edited by Troutguide; 12-12-2017, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                      Lead is so dense that in a cast bullet you can only get a 100 gr bullet to those specs if you make any larger than 3/4 inch it will be heavier. Thats why you need an alloy or copper to reduce total density. Think about a 22LR bullet at 40 gr how big would two and a half of those be melted together? Not a full size 6.5 bullet.
                      Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the 140g molds and wondering why those designs couldn't be shortened?
                      There is a 125g mold available but I'd prefer lighter than that.
                      I'm wanting plinking bullets but would like them to be relatively accurate out to 300-500 yards? Possible?
                      Hard cast with a small amount of tin and antimony. Powder coated for velocities up to 2500fps.

Custom molds are expensive and I will have to learn a lot about bullet design before I spent the money.
                      I love the idea though, when even the cheapest (on sale) jacketed factory .264 bullets are 20-25 cents each.
                      I'm not set up yet but will cast 9mm and .224 bullets first.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

N.O.E. has 125gr and up for the 6.5s and they have one much smaller 54gr at http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...4oil35l20ljji4

Not sure if link will work, I though Ranch Dog had one smaller but could be wrong, he likes heavy bullets with a large meplat as they work so well on game. Ranch Dog retired a few years ago but some of his designs are available at N.O.E. and Lee

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          N.O.E. has 125gr and up for the 6.5s and they have one much smaller 54gr at http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...4oil35l20ljji4
                          Thanks, yes I was aware of the NOE molds and I will very likely buy their 5-cavity 126g.
                          I wonder if that 126g could be shortened by taking out a section from the middle (area within the .250"). Then possibly a little off the back end to decrease the bearing surface.
                          N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_266-125-FN C.jpg
                          Any cast bullet design more than a couple of years old has lube grooves that aren't necessary for coated bullets, another area for experimentation.

Edit: Actually, I'd like to see a copy of a 100g HPBT jacketed bullet (with a flatter, shorter nose to facilitate casting).
                          Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-12-2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• chic
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2017

LR1955: DU makes an armor piercing bullet according to the law. Natural or enriched are OK, but some people use enriched or other things.
                            Last edited by chic; 12-12-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• kmon
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                              Thanks, yes I was aware of the NOE molds and I will very likely buy their 5-cavity 126g.
                              I wonder if that 126g could be shortened by taking out a section from the middle (area within the .250"). Then possibly a little off the back end to decrease the bearing surface.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10423[/ATTACH]
                              Any cast bullet design more than a couple of years old has lube grooves that aren't necessary for coated bullets, another area for experimentation.

Edit: Actually, I'd like to see a copy of a 100g HPBT jacketed bullet (with a flatter, shorter nose to facilitate casting).
                              Lee offers a custom mold service where you supply the design, they do the design and make the molds on approval from what I have read, not cheap but an option. https://leeprecision.com/custom-serv...-bullet-molds/

Comment

• rickOshay
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2012

LFP Summary thread

Comment

Working...
                                X