• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5_fanatic
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Crimp or no crimp

How many prefer crimping when reloading for the 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform?
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I don't, to avoid bullet setback I rely on neck tension and select a slightly compressed charge of powder

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Redding Type S Dies, and the right bushing to get .003 works really well.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Been reloading the Grendel for over five years. Never crimped, have not had any problems. Using Hornady dies.

Comment

• Cornbread
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

The never ending debate lol. I crimp AR rounds with the Lee fcd. Rounds were setting back in mag under recoil. I have not noticed any issues with accuracy and I did find that it actually lowered the es. I assume by evening out the neck tension. If you use bushing dies where you can control the neck tension prob not necessary.

Comment

• DDRanch
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Been using my Lee FCD dies on all of my reloads that I shoot in semi-auto rifles. The Lee dies seem to do a better job.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Hi. I'm NugginFutz and I am a Neck Crimper (retired).

With my RCBS and Hornady dies, I rarely (if ever) saw magazine setback, but the SD on my reloads was sometimes erratic. I went with the Lee FCD for my AR (5.56) as well as a couple of my bolt rifles. On all my loads, I started with a mild trim (1/4 turn). SD improved, so when I got my 6.5, I got an FCD for it without giving it a thought.

Fast forward to this year, when I had to finally satisfy my curiosity and bought a Redding Type-S sizing die. I did my maths and bought and the bushings to allow me to size either the Lapua or Hornady brass and maintain the correct neck tension.

Results? My SD's now continue to stay constantly low (single digits to low teens), and I have eliminated an extra pull of the press per round.

As for the rest of my rifles, I shoot them so seldom anymore because the 6.5's are getting all the love, so it makes little sense to buy additional dies at this time. If I were starting out fresh, and knew what I now know, I would skip straight to the bushing dies and be done with it.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

I’m a crimper
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• raybo
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2017

I like a light taper crimp for semi-autos

Comment

Working...
                  X