• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olde sarge
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Muzzle Devices

Has anyone tried any of the muzzle devises that direct blast away from shooter (Krink, etc)? If so what is your experience with them. Have permanent tinnitus and hearing loss. Would like to keep what I still have. Would also like to protect others from side blast.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

This topic came up a couple weeks ago, this thread might help. Others are welcome to chime in again on this thread.

So having found a Cyber Monday offer I couldn’t refuse (BCA 18” for $59.50, technically a Black Friday deal that wouldn’t go through, and they honored the price), I’m now looking for something to put on the business end. Had I ordered custom, or found a 24”, I’d had it set at 20” with a

The google custom search is an ideal way to find a thread where information was previously posted. There are many topics/discussions/threads on this forum in regards to gas ports, adjustable gas blocks, buffers, available chambers SAAMI vs Variant, muzzle devices and a host of other topics. The custom search feature allows members to get the wealth of information that is available on this site.

There are many members on this site with an incrediable amount of knowledge who are unable to spend as much time on this forum as some of us other members. Their information, technical knowledge and expertise is invaluable. I’m referring to Bill Alexander, Bob Stokes and Mark from PF plus numerous other members.

This forum continues to grow and sorry for the thread hijack.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-09-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I have that too, from nuclear steam plant and machinery noise (40+yrs)... I use some muzzle brakes but in any case - Linear comp, brake, or none- using double hearing protection anytime on the line. Then electronic muffs while in the woods.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• olde sarge
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Well VASCAR2, now that I have been soundly chastised and used as a whipping boy, thank you for the thread.

Comment

• olde sarge
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Grayfox, I didn't know what they were called (linear Comps). I made it through 22 yrs in the Army without any sign of hearing loss. Went to work as a machinist after I retired from the Army and all of a sudden had signs of hearing loss. Didn't know that machine shop noise as low as it was would compound to cause hearing loss until it was too late.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I wasn’t intending to chastise you olde sarge, being a peon I would never consider doing that. I just find the custom search very useful and I frequently use it. Being retired I probably spend to much time on gun forums but age hasn’t helped my memory. I frequently think I’ve read something posted before or want specific information and use the custom search to find it.

This forum is getting several new members every week so I mention the custom sesrch from time to time.

No offense intented sarge and I appologize for the thread hijack.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Linear compensators throw the blast forward - most of them do it at somewhat of an angle off the exact bore centerline to give some braking, but the blast noise and thrust all goes forward, which reduces the decibels heard by the shooter.
              Each form of muzzle device has its pros and cons.

Vascar knows a lot too! This is a really great forum with tons of expertise.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

I have a Hera Arms LC-S Linear Compensator-Small on a short 5.56 and oh what a difference it makes as I too have a bit of T-ringing. While this particular one wouldn't work with the Grendel they make a couple others that are 5/8x24 threaded, my neighbor has one on his KAK sbr 308 and it's actually quite pleasant to shoot as pleasant as a sbr 308 can be and these are not like most linear comps on the market which are mostly a hollow cone/sleeve.

Features: 12 separate expansion chambers Reduce Noise Gases escape straight from the front of the compensator, hence free float hand guards and rail systems like the HERA-ARMS IRS can overlap on the compensator Easy Installation Length: 3.55" Diameter: 1.23" Made in Germany 223 / 5.56 Linear Compensator for use on short barreled rifles.  The inside design with 12 separate expansion chambers leads blast and noise straight forward to increase shooting comfort and reduce noise at the shooters ears. Generation 2 with 30% less weight and a reduced outside diameter for perferct fit under our IRS handguard system. Available with 1/2 x 28TPI and 5/8 x 24" threads. Cal. max. 223REM / 5,56mm with Barrel Thread in 1/2"x28 Cal. max. 7,62 mm with Barrel Thread 5/8"x24

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

olde sarge - am a joint sufferer of significant hearing loss and non-stop tinnitus ( mostly from unprotected gunfire as a much younger person ). I have Grendels with more conventional muzzle devices and one with a "linear compensator". There is some difference with the sound levels back to me ( or other shooters ) but not a lot. There was an interesting discussion on this forum ( I think ) about the mechanics of ear / hearing damage and the use of hearing protection vs weapon-mounted sound suppression. One of the major points was that even the best "over or in the ear" protection was not sufficient as there is substantial transmission of sound impulse thru the structure of the weapon device which is then conducted thru the bone structure to our hearing mechanics. I am an engineer and spent many years developing sound systems for capture and modificaiton of human speech and one of the real issues was how well bone conduction works.
                  I said all that to say that if sound impule mitigation is a serious concern ( and it should be ) then the process of trying to re-direct sound for that purpose is only marginally successful. The real challange would be to reduce the conduction of the sound impulse from the weapon system to the skeletal system.
                  Perhaps this could be a challange to some of the other members within this forum to consider / propose ways to do that. There are a lot of really talanted folks across this group - any ideas?

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                    One of the major points was that even the best "over or in the ear" protection was not sufficient as there is substantial transmission of sound impulse thru the structure of the weapon device which is then conducted thru the bone structure to our hearing mechanics.
                    This is interesting, I haven't heard of this concern previously. Intuitively, it would seem that the majority of the sound impulse reaching the inner ear would be conducted through the cheek and jaw bones. I can see a simple but inelegant solution (or at least mitigating measure) to that being the application of some type of adhesive foam applied to the stock to insulate the shooter's face.

Comment

• zcostilla
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2017

Check this comparison out. Many of these also have 7.62 options with 5/8 threads.

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...
                      -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

I will take simple and effective over elegant any day. The "crickets" are really making themselves at home but are really not appreciated.

Comment

• just_john
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2012

There are a number of studies in various disciplines about the nerve systems in the jaw. That probably is the primary acoustic path. Possibly some form of soft foam, loosely attached or constrained so as to not resonate might be of benefit.

Comment

• Armadillo66
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

I like the ones that Smith Enterprise builds. Their "Good Iron" series. I had one on my M1 Garand and it really worked good and was easy to clean and change out for the stock barrel end on the Garand since the Muzzle Brake was not allowed for CMP competition. But it sure came in handy for recoil reduction, great accuracy and quality of construction

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                              There are a number of studies in various disciplines about the nerve systems in the jaw. That probably is the primary acoustic path. Possibly some form of soft foam, loosely attached or constrained so as to not resonate might be of benefit.
                              JJ - the foam (cheek weld & butt of stock) was my first thought as well. However, even though the main bone-pathway is probably cheekbone/jaw, and a secondary thru the shoulder/arm... and no disrespect to the studies, but it seems most of the acoustic shock wave would propagate out away from the muzzle (ie, in the air) with the expanding gasses/powder residue, and the bullet (both sets >> mach speeds), rather than back through the rifle? I haven't read those studies so I could be off-base. Anyway, the bulk of my hearing losses came from steam whistling through large pipes, and whirling machinery noises from large turbines (1000 MW-output steam turbines) and pumps (some >10,000 hp!!)...
                              As a p.s., wouldn't using foam at the cheek weld interfere somewhat with that very cheek weld, so a shooter will have a tendency to compress it before the shot, which then would interfere with the sound dampening...?

Comment

Working...
                              X