• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armadillo66
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

My name is Rusty

New to 6.5 Grendel, but have messed around with low budget AR builds for several years. Life circumstance have caused me to have to sell many nice firearms over the last few years. But I do have a DPMS Oracle, set it up to prairie dog hunt in Saguache county Colorado, my preferred residence. It is pretty accurate with 55 and 62gr ammo. However these days I am caring for a farm in the southern Missouri Ozarks for a friend on active duty. As site security for his place I keep my AR handy. However, having sold my 300 Mag Ruger #1 Elk rifle and my sweet IHC M1 Garand and my .243 Ruger Target, I find myself in need of a hunting rifle for bigger game and feral hogs. Something I can utilize easily with my DPMS lower. Not interested in a fancy keymod or other forearm, simple optic ready no frills upper works ok for me, I can get it to shoot fairly good with a 130gr Barnes or 120gr Nosler partition, I will be happy. Makes my little AR into a back country woods elk rifle, Mulie & Pronghorn and big bodied Missouri Whitetail hunting rig.
    So Far, Anderson, Wolf, BCA, ACME all sell Grendel uppers that look almost exactly like my Oracle 5.56 upper
    My main question is, 1/7.5, 1/8, or 1/9 barrel twist? I am guessing for 120-130gr bullets I would want 1/9 twist?
    also what exactly is the difference between Grendel 1 and Grendel 2, Bolt group or freebore or headspace difference?
    Target crown vs muzzle brake?
    Pic is of a Boone & Crockett measure mulie on the west slope of Sangre De Cristo range near my home
    Attached Files
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Nice to meet you Rusty and great picture. There is a lot to read up on about the Grendel 1 vs Grendel 2, which I suggest that you do. They have some great stickies here that will provide more information than I can hope to explain. Bottom line is that you want SAAMI bolts (Boltface depth of 0.136) with matching barrels. Places like Anderson and BCA are now using SAAMI spec bolts but they calling it Type 2 (I guess to add to the confusion). I can't answer twist rates. I shoot an 18" BCA barrel with 1:8 5R twist and 123 grain Hornady Black bullets. It works great. I also have a 12" 1:8 5R Faxon barrel and 16" 1:8 BCA barrel on order. Muzzle device is a personal preference. I actually ended up taking mine off and just using a thread protector to get the barrel a little shorter. For what you are looking for, the Grendel is a great choice.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Hey Rusty
        If you're on a tight budget take a good look at BCA. They have amazingly low prices (they are the manufacturer) and a discount if you're a veteran.
        I bought this upper and with the discount paid $301. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upp...85r-mf-15-mlok
        BCA Side Charging AR-15 Complete Upper Assembly, 20" 4150 Black Nitride Heavy Barrel, Straight Flutes, 6.5 Grendel Type II, Rifle Length Gas System, 1:8 5R Twist w/ 15" MLOK
        It's out of stock right now but they have others available.
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Rusyt, welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas! You will find that the Grendal will more than make up for the one that you had to part with. It is a great round, incredibly versatile. For better results, try to stay close to an 1:8 twist. There are a lot of good, reasonably priced barrels out there. Have built several with Alexander barrels and all have far outperformed what I am capable of.
          Where are you from Springfield? Have a friend who owns a farm about half way between Springfield and Branson. Has some really good deer on it. You will enjoy that part of the country.

Comment

• Armadillo66
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
            Rusyt, welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas! You will find that the Grendal will more than make up for the one that you had to part with. It is a great round, incredibly versatile. For better results, try to stay close to an 1:8 twist. There are a lot of good, reasonably priced barrels out there. Have built several with Alexander barrels and all have far outperformed what I am capable of.
            Where are you from Springfield? Have a friend who owns a farm about half way between Springfield and Branson. Has some really good deer on it. You will enjoy that part of the country.
            My friend owns White Mule Distillery, a licensed small batch distiller near Wheaton Missouri near the old Pioneer mill site. So here I sit, 65yr old man with arthritis trusted to guard the still and barrel storage.....what could go wrong?
            We have limestone cave spring water on the place, perfect spot to run a still. We have a clear corn whisky called Mountain Maid, apple pie flavored Mountain Maid, a charred oak barrel aged 80 proof called #27 and a local wild bee tree honey infused #27. Right now we are not running the still, but may start a new batch in January. Last night I got to try some out of a barrel of natural fruit fermentation strawberry whiskey being aged in a sherry barrel, it was incredible at about 115 proof and I told the owner that I want a bottle of that to put away for my last hurrah. The Honey infused #27 is so smooth, best head cold and cough medicine ever with hot lemonade.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Looks like you are enjoying that southern hospitality!

Comment

• jackwagon
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

Welcome to the forum Rusty, That sounds like a good job to me.

Comment

Working...
                X