• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ditcher
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Split caseing with new build

I finally got my first grendel build done. I'm using a Larue 18" barrel with matching bolt. I did the break in for the barrel. After that I was shooting Hornady Black 123gr and some Wolf classic 100gr. After I started to wrap things up I noticed some of the wolf steel case was split below the shoulder and a few of the hornady brass was split at the shoulder. Any clue what would cause this?
    Now it was pretty cold out. Not sure if this would cause an issue?
    Other then that it shot great and group really well with the wolf ammo.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I’ve seen numerous Wolf steel cases split on the side but never had a piece of brass split on the case mouth or body. I’ve seen brass scraped by bolt lugs if the cartridge rides to high in the mag or if the bolt fails to go far enough back to strip the top cartridge.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

What temp do you mean when you say pretty cold? Can you post some pics? How many splits out of what total # fired? I’ve had a couple of random splits at the case mouth. No apparent cause.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
        I finally got my first grendel build done. I'm using a Larue 18" barrel with matching bolt. I did the break in for the barrel. After that I was shooting Hornady Black 123gr and some Wolf classic 100gr. After I started to wrap things up I noticed some of the wolf steel case was split below the shoulder and a few of the hornady brass was split at the shoulder. Any clue what would cause this?
        Now it was pretty cold out. Not sure if this would cause an issue?
        Other then that it shot great and group really well with the wolf ammo.
        Ditcher:

I have split necks and had splits on the shoulder with bolt rifles. There were two reasons why it happened with me.

The one that may be your problem was due to a very tight match chamber and necks that were just a touch too thick. I was necking down LC 30-06 brass to 6.5mm and the LC brass was too thick. No give of the neck when fired and I split cases at the shoulder and into the neck. Solved by sizing up .270 brass. This was a bolt rifle though.

With one, I was blasting some very old surplus military ball and I believe the brass was poorly made, the bullets were glued in with tar due to age, and the chamber size of the blaster could have been on the big side.

As for a gas gun, I would suspect the chamber is too big or the headspace too great, thus allowing the brass to expand too much and split.

LR55

Comment

• Ditcher
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Temp was about 35 degree F with 12mph wind. I guess it wasn't really cold but I wasn't really dressed correctly for the weather so it felt colder.
          Out of the 20 Hornady Black ammunition I fired (Lost one case) 2 are cracked at the shoulder and 1 is questionable. 4 others have some nicks at the shoulder.
          I did have a few rounds that miss feed with the ASC 10rd mag. That might have contribute to a few of them. That 10rd mag didn't like the 123gr hornady but it liked the 100gr wolf. The 25rd ASC mag seem to like the Hornady though.
          Not sure how many wolf case that split below the shoulder cause I really didn't collect them.
          Don't have a way to post pics right now.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I have yet to see split anything on Hornady brass, and I've shot thousands of factory and reloaded Hornady brass.

I honestly can't recall losing a single piece of Hornady brass yet. This is across many, many rifles to include:

Several AA 16" barrel/bolt combos
            16" Lilja
            18" AA barrels
            Several 18" Lilja barrels
            18" LaRue Stealth Grendel rifle
            20" AA/Satern barrels
            20" Lilja barrels
            20" Bartlein barrels
            20" Criterion barrels
            22" Lilja barrels

You might want to contact LaRue and just get it taken care of.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• muvef
              Warrior
              • Mar 2017

Could it be a gash from the sharp edges on the feed ramps.

I get some significant gashed/cuts on brass cased ammo every now and then.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

If your getting gash marks from sharp edges on the feed ramps, best to de-horn them and smooth them out. Will say my Odin has about the nicest feed ramps I've seen in a long while for a production barrel.

Comment

• gmaxx
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2017

I have had several split cases with Wolf ammo also. I have not had the issue with any brass cased ammo. Haven't noticed it causing any issues, and the Wolf stuff seems to shoot fine for what it is. I posted some pics of the cases in the Troubleshooting section in a thread titled "Issues with Wolf ammo". I am not sure how to link other threads in.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

There.

Fixed it for you...
                    This morning I was sighting in my grendel pistol and rifle. The pistol I have shot a fair amount and after some initial feeding issues have had no problems, I made some adjusts that made me move the scope forward, which is why I was re-zeroing it. This was the first time I had shot the rifle as I just got the scope for it.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Ditcher
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a closer look at the feed ramp along with a few other things. May take it to the range this weekend and to a little testing with a few
                      different methodes. I'll report back if I find anything.

Thanks again.

Comment

• muvef
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Ditcher View Post
                        Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a closer look at the feed ramp along with a few other things. May take it to the range this weekend and to a little testing with a few
                        different methodes. I'll report back if I find anything.

Thanks again.
                        Maybe single feed them to rule out sharp edges on the feed ramps.

Comment

• Ditcher
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Made it to the range to test a few things out. The short story is the 10rd mag is causing my issues. Its not feeding right with the 10rd mag causing the shoulder to get dented. Not sure why I didn't noticed this last time. (maybe because I was freezing lol) After firing the dented round some showed signs of cracking were the dent was. Which is obvious that would happen. So now I need to contact ASC on this mag and see what they say. It looks like the mag is sitting a little low in the magwell.
                          Funny story. I had took my scope off when I had put it in the case (I need a new case) when I had first shot the rifle. Well when I got home I put the scope in its box while I cleaned the gun. When I got to the rage today guess what I forgot and remembered just as I pulled into the range which is a hour away from my house?
                          You guessed it my scope! Ah real men don't need scopes or sights.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I’ve had good luck with E-Lander mags. I just bought six today from Brownell’s free shipping and if the order is over $100 free shipping plus $10 off order. If you are mil/LE or C&R the price is $16.17 for each mag regardless of size (10,17,24 round mags). To good of deal to pass up for me.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              I have yet to see split anything on Hornady brass, and I've shot thousands of factory and reloaded Hornady brass.

I honestly can't recall losing a single piece of Hornady brass yet.
                              Does this imply the Hornady brass might be lasting as long as the lapua? (That would be a good thing!)

Comment

Working...
                              X