• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Peregrine PlainsMaster 120gr Gel results

I have never been able to stop a 120gr LFP in the gels. Generally, they take a curved path after the initial opening and either exit the sides or top of the gel. The PlainsMaster was no exception. Although, I think the results are sufficient to give us an idea of the lower limit to velocity.
    Peregrine Web Site

The traces in the gel below are:
    0 - the 110gr Controlled Chaos (discussed in another thread)
    1 - 120gr PM hitting at 1551 fps.
    2 - 120gr PM hitting at 1620
    3 - 120gr PM hitting at 1876
    4 - 120gr PM hitting at 1712

It is clear that Shot #1 did not open. It took a fairly straight path and appears to flip after 12" of penetration. The tip was not recovered and I did not see any evidence of separation.

Shots #2 - 4 hit the get a sufficient speed to begin to open up and the tips separated. Shot #2 penetrated about 6" before the tip separated and it appeared to flip in the gel (partially obscured by Shot #3).

Shot #3 shows the tip separating after only about 2-3" of penetration, and then crossed over the path of Shot #4.

A view from under the gel gives a better perspective of when the tips separated for Shots #2-4.

I think these results show that 1800 fps is likely a good minimum velocity or this LFP.

These results added to the summary thread: LFP Summary Thread
    Last edited by rickOshay; 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM.
  • tward1604
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Thank you! you're the only other person in the states I've seen do anything with these other than myself. I'm sure there are more but nobody is saying much. Overall what do you think of them?

Comment

Working...
    X