• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

188 Yard Pregnant Sow - Back at the High Fence

Monday night had me back at Elk Springs Ranch, looking for hogs. I am comfortable enough with some of the property to try doing some stalking. Don't laugh - despite being fenced in, I have managed to get lost and had to exit out an alternative gate, LOL. I picked a main vehicle path through the property, bounded by high ridge slope to the west and trees to the east and made my way along, scanning the woods as I went.

About 3/4 mile into my trek, I spied a hog under a feeder and took a 188 yard shot. The hog went right down. At this point, I figured my truck was still where I parked it and going to check the hog was just that much more walking. So I opted for a 'quality assurance shot' and after no more movement for a couple of minutes, headed to the truck.

Turned out to be a good 125 lb pregnant sow with 6 on-board. Interesting thing, you usually won't find lone sows unless they are have just had piglets or are about to have them. Maybe she was close, but the piglets didn't look like it to me as they still had no hair. Either way, she was a good hog to take down and that is 6 more that won't be growing up inside the high fence.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Good job, getting the sows on that place I would think is high priority since IIRC they want them all gone if possible. Take those with little ones on board is taking out that many more that don't have to be shot later.

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

I always enjoy your videos. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

• jackwagon
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Did I see that was #205 for the year? nice going.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Thanks! It has been a busy year and all of those are with Grendels, most with Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo but also some Cavity Back Bullets, Hornady Black ELD, and maybe one or two others. Most all of those are documented over some 90-odd YouTube videos, except when the technology and I had a disagreement on function.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

I thought I would do a little targeting assessment and pulled the last frame of video from the two shots, the frame just as, or just before the trigger broke and the screen was disrupted and then the images of the impacts on the hog. This is with Hornady SST 123 gr. factory ammo @ 188 yards from an AR Performance 18" barrel and Superlative Arms piston system.

Here is the first shot and you can see where the crosshairs were as the screen starts to show disruption...
            First Shot Last Frame.PNG

Here is where the first shot impacted.
            20171211_182251 marked.jpg

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Here is the second shot on the downed hog one frame before the image distorted...
              Second Shot Last Frame.PNG

And here is where the shot impacted...
              20171211_182239a.jpg

I would say that both shots are within about 1 MOA or less POA/POI.

Comment

Working...
              X