• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forrest
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Goober says 'hey"

New member from Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Looking forward to learning and enjoying everyone's company on here.

I Just ordered my first build kit today. Wondering what the Grendel folks think about the Areo M4E1 Enhanced upper design? I hope that extra material cast into the collar will help with accuracy.

Looking for a used starter barrel that has some decent history, maybe something I can pass on once I decide what to go long with.

My first rifle was a Sako 243 I bought with all my trapping money from that year, 1977 I think. Still have it as well as every gun I have ever owned.
    Last edited by Forrest; 12-14-2017, 01:53 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Forrest! The choice of barrel really depends on your intended use and your budget. I think the barrel is the most important component of an AR-15. Higher priced barrels are available from JP, Douglas, McGowen, Lilja, Saturn cut rfled barrels, Precision Fierarms and Shilen. Other popular reasonably priced barrels can be sourced through Alexander Arms, Odin Works, Ballistic Advantage, Faxon to name a few. Cheaper barrels can be sourced from Bear Creek Arsenal, Anderson, Satern/Liberty.

Some vendors sell house brand barrels where the actual manufacture is not disclosed. Really boils down to how much accuracy you want and how much your willing to spend. Right now 18” barrels with 1:8 twist are very popular as they are light and versatile.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Forest, from the Great Nation of Texas!

The good news is that there are very few really bad choices for barrels, but, to repeat V2,it comes down to goals and budget. Faxon, BCA and several others have good, servicable, accurate inexpensive barrels. You will never go wrong with an Alexander barrel. And there are many others. Across the chapters of this forum, you will find a lot of "who likes what", so enjoy the reads and keep us posted.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Forrest.

Comment

• Armadillo66
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

Welcome, A Sako Vixen in .243 is a beautiful rifle. Buddy of mine in Arkansas had one, never could get it to shoot as good as it should. Turns out high humidity of Arkansas was pushing the stock against the barrel. I opened it up, installed a Brownell's bedding glass kit in it. He had always shot whatever 243 ammo he could find, never finding any that shot good in it. I got him some 100gr Nosler Partition Federal premium and some Hornady 100gr Interlocks to sight in with. Replaced his Bushnell 3-9x40 with a Burris 4-12x50A.O. long range scope. When I got it dialed in I had it doing .45" group at 200yds. He used it that fall and shot a 172" 5x5 whitetail Buck with thick palmated G2 & G3 both sides and 316lb field dressed hog at measured 475yds from his shop window across his hay field. The Nosler partition took out the vena cava and spine, no meat damage, perfect shot, dropped in his tracks. He gave me a backstrap and a ziplock bag of jerky for fixing his rifle.
          Life circumstances made me have to sell some nice long range guns in the last few years, so now I am wanting to put a 6.5 upper on my lowly little DPMS Oracle so maybe I can shoot a long range deer with it. I also want to see what a 6mm Grendel could do out of a 16" barrel if someone wildcats one and could it get close to 243 Ballistics.

Comment

• IescapedCali
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Welcome, Forrest!

Comment

Working...
            X