• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ward12473
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

6.5 faxon barrel

Has anyone used or have any input on this faxon barrel?

Faxon's Match Series of barrels takes our renowned performance and value up a notch.

Manufactured 100% in-house from gun-barrel-quality bar-stock, the Match Series starts with 416-R in 5R rifling. 5R is a hybrid rifling, with lands opposite grooves and reduced sharp angles that reduces jacket deformation increasing velocity and easy cleaning. After rigorous testing, the barrels are Nitride treated inside and out, locking in the bore, improving barrel life, and keeping the elements at bay.

The extension is coated in a Nickel Teflon coating that maintains incredible dry lubricity, corrosion resistance, and with the coating, tightens up fit between the extension and receiver - again improving upon accuracy. Combined, the Match Series of barrels are ready for when duty calls or the buzzer beeps with unrivaled performance value.

Barrel Material: 416R Stainless Steel
    Barrel Type: 5R Button Rifled
    Barrel Caliber: 6.5 Grendel, SAAMI Chamber (.136" Co-Bore On Bolt)
    Barrel Twist: 1:8
    Barrel Length: 18"
    Barrel Profile: Heavy Fluted
    Barrel Gas System: Mid
    Inside Finish: Salt Bath Nitride
    Outside Finish: Salt Bath Nitride
    Muzzle Thread:5/8-24 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
    Gas Block Diameter: .750"
    Gas Block Journal Length: 1.1"
    Barrel Extension: M4, Nickel Teflon Coated
    Weight: 1.81 lbs
    Magnetic Particle Inspected!
    Polished 11-degree Target Crown
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I have one in their gunner profile, 16", still working up loads but very pleased with it.
    Lots of guys on here have faxon barrels.
    There are several group buys (GB) posted where you might look for an extra good deal. There is an 18" GB that I'm in, and there are still barrels available; it's a slightly slimmer profile I think, why not look into it.
    BFT is running the GB's right now for the faxon barrels.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

185 + 10.00 flat fee shipping.

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is the official kick-off for our group buy of mid-length 18" 6.5 Grendel barrels manufactured by our esteemed partner, Faxon Firearms. Hunters find this length a great compromise between velocity and handling. These barrels feature a medium-light profile
    Last edited by grayfox; 12-13-2017, 06:49 PM.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ItsRainingLead
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

I have that barrel. Shoots 1moa or less off a sled with Hornady Black and ~2moa with Wolf steel case at 100yds. Opens up pretty quick when it heats up. YMMV but I am happy with mine.

Comment

• Ward12473
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2017

I have a 7.62 x39 in the gunner profile. I am looking for a heavier profile and at least 18 inch. Looking for something for longer ranges

Comment

• Ward12473
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2017

I was hoping with the heavy barrel heat wouldn't be much of a factor. Guess I may have to go a different way.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Ward12473 View Post
            I have a 7.62 x39 in the gunner profile. I am looking for a heavier profile and at least 18 inch. Looking for something for longer ranges
            I was hoping with the heavy barrel heat wouldn't be much of a factor. Guess I may have to go a different way.
            Barrel Length: 18"
            Barrel Profile: Heavy Fluted
            Looks like you found one??

Comment

• bfk4lyfe
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2017

Johnny's reloading bench (youtube channel) just got one and has a video or two on it, one more coming tomorrow.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                I have one in their gunner profile, 16", still working up loads but very pleased with it.
                Lots of guys on here have faxon barrels.
                There are several group buys (GB) posted where you might look for an extra good deal. There is an 18" GB that I'm in, and there are still barrels available; it's a slightly slimmer profile I think, why not look into it.
                BFT is running the GB's right now for the faxon barrels.
                The group buy Faxon barrels have a differ profile than off the shelf barrels. A little extra mass where it counts most.

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                QUESTION 1: Looking at the PDF of the barrel drawing, why is the thick 0.975 section around the chamber extended longer than usual?

ANSWER 1: The thinking behind this design feature recognizes that about 90% of peak chamber pressures are experienced within the first 2 or 3 inches of bullet travel.

So, first, as a safety feature, there is more "meat" in this critical peak-pressure area without adding unnecessary weight along the rest of the barrel. You've seen photos of barrels that split under the hand guards? The split starts at approximately the region in question. So having this extended thicker section puts a rupture — God forbid! — just that much farther from your face.

Second, it is an accuracy feature. Thick, "bull" barrels are more accurate because they're stiffer. And shorter barrels are more accurate because they're stiffer. So the extended thicker section of this barrel profile serves both purposes. To an overall lighter profile it adds a thicker, stiffening section of "bull" barrel, and, in effect, takes a 16" barrel and almost gives it the stiffness of a 12" barrel. Nothing earthshaking, but every little bit helps.

Third, by thickening the barrel only where necessary, it keeps the overall weight down, as well as keeping the heavier section closer to the weapon's center of balance, allowing the weapon to "feel" lighter than it is, as opposed to a "muzzle heavy" feel.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• tracker12
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Hoping for better results than Johnny.
                  AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Not to side track this thread but I watched the video, if it were my barrel I’d lap the front of the receiver and bed the upper and barrel extension with blue Loktite. Johnny said he used grease on the corner of the barrel but no mention of barrel to upper receiver fit. Those failure to extract without the suppressor can’t help in consistent cheek weld and shooting position.

Comment

• Ward12473
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2017

I have to say so far johnny's review hasn't impressed me as far as the barrel goes. I wish he would leave the suppressor off and just see what it would do. I agree about the bedding and make sure his upper is squared. I guess I will continue to watch maybe it will end up much better than its looking so far.

Comment

• Ward12473
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2017

Not saying I wouldn't try a group buy but as for now I am not even impressed with jonny's tests. I may end up going with another barrel maker.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I understand completely Ward12473, I have a 16” Faxon group buy barrel. I lapped the front of the receiver and used Permatex blue thread locker on my barrel extension. I only have a couple hundred rounds through my Faxon and I liked my 16” well enough to get on the group buy 18” Faxon today.

The accuracy on my 16” Faxon has improved with use and I’m the limiting factor on the accuracy of my 16” Faxon. The last time I shot my Faxon I got less than 1” five shot group at 100 yards with Wolf/PPU 120 MPT/HPBT ammo. The accuracy of Wolf 100 grain FMJ steel case wasn’t very good but the 5R rifling is known to not engrave the bimetal bullets well compared to traditional rifling. My 1:9 twist 16” Shaw barrel with conventional rifling shoots Wolf steel cased ammo better than the Faxon.

Anyone wanting to shoot a lot of bimetal steel cased ammo will probably be better off with a traditional land and groove barrel compared to 5R or polygonal rifling.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

I have to say so far johnny's review hasn't impressed me as far as the barrel goes. I wish he would leave the suppressor off and just see what it would do. I agree about the bedding and make sure his upper is squared. I guess I will continue to watch maybe it will end up much better than its looking so far.
                            Look at the new video that hit this morning. Great groups, some of his best ever with any gun, but with the Berger 135g bullet that I don't plan to use.

Edit: I watched both videos (last night's creedmoor and today's grendel) again and realized that his Faxon barreled Grendel AR out-shot his Creedmoor bolt-action.

I'm not trying to create some wildly-insane sensational internet "truth" from that, I'm just pointing out that a few days ago his Grendel was more accurate than his Creedmoor was with that bullet.
                            Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-15-2017, 07:37 AM.
                            "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Several points to remember about Johnny's video.

1. New barrel, will get better as time goes on.
                              2. The proves again barrel harmonics and the need to either tune your loads, or tune your barrel.
                              3. The handloads were just picked out of the Hornady book - no load development.
                              4. Mentioned above, we don't know that the receiver was squared and lapped.

Probably about 3 or 4 more I am not thinking of.

If you are going for super accuracy, you need to take the steps to get there first. First you make sure the receiver is squared, and the barrel, and gas block are bedded. Barrel nut torque - if the torque requirements on a timed barrel nut put one of the teeth in the way, cut the darn tooth off. Will not hurt anything.

Regardless of what barrel or my intentions of use, the next upper I build or put back together is getting this treatment before I make any judgements about the barrel. Faxon is known for fast and accurate. I'd make sure my end is right before judging the barrel.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X