• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5 Grendel Fever
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

New build , or complete gun help.

I`ve taken 2 aspirin,been drinking plenty of fluids,,,but I cant seem to break this fever. Not that anything would help but something along these lines as a remedy .
    Any info on either ? Plans are to build a grendel I can use for coyotes, deer and hogs . Not afraid if its 8-9 ish lbs. Lighter would be ok as well.
    I have $600 - $700 . I have read some very informative info from some seasoned grendel owners/builders and sorry if this is a question asked and answered . All info/help is good. I have had ar `s in 6.8 spc ll , .260 ,and 308 . Also a few ar 15 `s . Presently I have a dpms 223 prairie panther with snow camo. My winter `yote rig...
    My shooting partner and friend has a 6.5 grendel and thats were I caught this crap . I will be sending him the bill . Thanks for some insight...Gotta go, starting to itch,cough, and sneeze .
    Have read about bca as a place to look.

If either of these will be a good candidate , or other options,maybe a complete gun or kits in my price range ?
    I must have at least 102 degree temperature as im typing ...Thanks

Shop our Selection of AR15 Upper Receivers. Uppers from brands like Anderson Manufacturing, Radical Firearms, Aero Precision, Colt, Bravo Company & More.

Christian - American - Gun Owner
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Don't buy the Davidson Defense upper. The barrels are not SAAMI. For what you are looking for, I would get the BCA upper that you like best and then a complete lower from Anderson, PSA or the like. Then I would swap out the trigger. You should be able to keep it under $600.

Shop for AR-15 complete uppers available in many popular calibers. Each complete upper comes with an upper receiver, M-LOK rail, flash hider, and AR-15 barrel.

So I'm thinking of my third Grendel build. The first (my go-to hunting rifle) is complete and bloodstained. I'm still playing with the mags but the E-landers are on back order. The second (my truck gun/200 yard coyote killer) has parts on order. I'm hoping that what I learn from the fist two will let me hone in a successful
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Another idea is to start out by getting/building the upper and pair it for now to one of the lowers you already have...
      Get the lower when you want to.
      The BCA's get some good reviews, esp as starters. Grendelhunters are another option.
      Stick with (as discussed elsewhere) SAAMI specs and 0.136 boltface depth barrel-headspacing and grendel bolts.
      If the ad doesn't say that then ask the vendor specifically to confirm.
      Be careful! Grendels tend to multiply in your gun closet when you're not looking...!!!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel Fever
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2017

You sir (frontier gear) are one of the people I have been reading , your thread on the eco build is what has my attention. Thanks for helping. A few questions, difference between the 4150 black nitride and 4150 parkerized hb`s ?
        6.5 grendel and 6.5 grendel type ll ?' I believe I want th 24" version of the best choice from bca.Lastly how much do the 20" weigh compared to the desired 24" ?
        Also Im leaning long barrel `cause we do shoot out to 1000yds .6.5 creedmoors and would like to get the grendel on the 1k bench as well. I sure appreciate the help in sending me in the correct direction .Gary

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel Fever
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

grayfox, I do have that option, I was thinking that to start with. But if I can put together a gun with the anderson lower and a 24" complete upper from bca, I should be on the way to recovery ? Correct ? . All kidding aside, they have good reviews and bad. Will get what I pay for $600 ? Or will it be a better package than the price tag ?

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

You know the old "project triangle" right? fast, inexpensive, and good... pick any 2........

If you want to get out to extended yards, the only other thing to consider is what manner of trigger you want. Don't know what the Anderson lower has, but there are lots of trigger options. Again, start with one lineup and then tweak from there as desired.
            I try to look for value as opposed to simply money or name-brands. Sometimes you can find good parts for less, sometimes you need to "buy and cry". It's all part of the adventure and each one's path will always differ from that of others.

Enjoy the journey and get to some good shootin'.

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Have you read this thread? http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Level-Grendel
              I paid $310 for a BCA upper (with Vet discount, otherwise $335) and $218 for a Ruger lower with their good 452 Elite trigger.
              With taxes, shipping and fees total was about $560.
              Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-14-2017, 12:42 AM.
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel Fever
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

Thanks guy`s, Randy thats the thread I was referring to yes. Your combo is the combo that truly has my interest .
                your post...
                I'm actually amazed at how much of a price break you get with a complete upper from BCA. Mine was listed at $334.99 while the prices for the receiver w/bcg, barrel, handrail, gas block, tube and flash hider add up to $160 more. That's how my build was so cheap.
                BCA Side Charging AR-15 Complete Upper Assembly, 20" 4150 Black Nitride Heavy Barrel, Straight Flutes, 6.5 Grendel Type II, Rifle Length Gas System, 1:8 5R Twist w/ 15" MLOK $334.99
                SKU: UASC6.5RHB20185R(MF)-(15)MLOK

And I love the Ruger lower. The Magpul stock is great, locks tight and doesn't wobble. The 452 trigger retails for $140 alone and feels better than I expected; two-stage with smooth travel, crisp let-off, and zero overtravel. Don't have a gauge but feels like it's less than 4 lbs. Ruger advertises that it has 30% faster lock time than standard.
                Basic price for lower was $218.39..

So I get a complete 6.5 grendel for $555 .Plus mags and ammo of course ?
                Anything else I need to know about it ?
                I get paid friday and either sat or sun I want to place the order(s)...

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by 6.5 Grendel Fever View Post
                  You sir (frontier gear) are one of the people I have been reading , your thread on the eco build is what has my attention. Thanks for helping. A few questions, difference between the 4150 black nitride and 4150 parkerized hb`s ?
                  6.5 grendel and 6.5 grendel type ll ?' I believe I want th 24" version of the best choice from bca.Lastly how much do the 20" weigh compared to the desired 24" ?
                  Also Im leaning long barrel `cause we do shoot out to 1000yds .6.5 creedmoors and would like to get the grendel on the 1k bench as well. I sure appreciate the help in sending me in the correct direction .Gary
                  Thanks, Shooting coyotes and hitting paper at 1,000 yards are not the same thing. One gun can do both, but probably not for $600. The BCA barrels are good and are plenty accurate for any sane hunting distance. They are rated at 1 MOA. However, If I was trying to reach out to 1,000 yards I would spend more money on the barrel. We have someone on here who says that he shoots BCA barrels in competition, but he also re-crowns them and does some other work to them IIRC. I know that the crowns on all of my BCA barrels are not "smooth". They actually have quite deep machining marks. They are good enough for hunting and offer a great value for an entry level barrel. My guess is that they are more accurate than most of the people that shoot them. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for though. Also, a scope for 1,000 yard target shooting will probably cost more than your gun budget. I use a $200 scope for hunting, but my limit is about 300 yards and I only put 100-200 rounds through it a year.

Parkerized vs Black Nitride.... Well Black Nitride costs more and looks nicer. I may be going out on a limb here, but the black nitride is generally considered a better finish. That being said, I like parkerized and the coyotes that you shoot can't tell the difference. Again, what are your expectations of the gun?

Un-machined steel rod 3/4" diameter is about 2oz per inch. That's a rough figure, but should give you an idea.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by 6.5 Grendel Fever View Post
                    Thanks guy`s,
                    Randy, anything else I need to know about it ?
                    I get paid friday and either sat or sun I want to place the order(s)...
                    No, everything is great! Well, almost.
                    I received the upper about 10 days after I ordered it (only paid for the cheap $10 shipping) and since then they've been out of stock most of the time. I was lucky there.
                    It is perfect, exactly what I wanted (wouldn't change a thing) and fit and finish are perfect.

The Ruger lower is great too but the trigger is inconsistent. I love the 2 stage actuation and it's good and light but it lets off at different spots in the travel. I've dry-fired it hundreds of times and it's getting better than it was at first but still not perfect. Haven't fired the gun yet and waiting until then to decide on the trigger but one reason why I bought Ruger is because if the trigger doesn't get to the high level I expect they will send me a new one.
                    Ordered magazines, scope base and rings over two weeks ago and haven't received them yet. I've gotten so used to fast order processing and shipping that I'm disappointed that these parts are taking so long but I should get them on friday and I'll probably get to shoot it next week.

Edit: And I like the Nitride. I understand it cuts down on barrel wear so it will last longer.
                    Faxon compares Nitride to chrome plating:
                    Nitride
                    Instead of adding material to the bore (like Chrome lining), Nitride treats the existing steel by imbuing nitrogen into the steel itself. This is done through a gaseous plasma or a liquid salt-bath and there are various nitrocarburization processes depending on the technical need. Faxon always uses the liquid salt bath Quench, Polish, Quench (QPQ) method. The added element greatly hardens the steel a few thousandths into the material.

As a treatment, Nitride does not add any materials to the bore, rather it treats the bore as it came from the factory. Like Chrome, the treatment greatly increases corrosion and abrasion resistance. Nitride treats both the inside and the outside of the barrel and does not require any oils to provide the best corrosion protection. As a final step, nitrided barrels are treated with a black oxide finish and can be high gloss or matte depending on the blasting process prior to black oxide.

Which is more accurate?

Both can be precise, but Nitride will always be more accurate all things being equal. Nitride “locks in” the bore, chrome will add material to it. Chrome providers have gotten very good at this over the years, the adhesion of chrome is not perfect and there will be a small degradation in accuracy, though it may not be noticed. This is mitigated somewhat by those electropolishing, but one cannot perfectly plate chrome.

Which will give me a longer barrel life?

Assuming both are 4150 steels and shot semi-auto (even spirited semi auto), we have found both have very similar round counts before we see degradation of accuracy. If firing cyclic full-auto fire through extreme duty cycles, chrome will have an advantage.

Which has better corrosion resistance?

Nitride, but given enough time and exposure, Nitride will corrode as well. Nitriding barrels provides a massive gain in corrosion resistance, but no process is 100% rust-proof. Faxon always recommends the barrel is cleaned and dried as needed. A little oil doesn’t hurt, either.
                    Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-14-2017, 01:33 AM.
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

The qpq or nitriding process is harder, smoother and more corrosion resistant. Better all around IMO.

(from wikipedia) Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of a chemical phosphate conversion coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or manganese phosphating process, ...

Nitriding is one name for the qpq (quench, polish, quench) or melonite process, (wikipedia again) - is a specialized type of nitrocarburizing case hardening that increases corrosion resistance. It is sometimes known by the brand name of Tufftride, Tenifer or Melonite. Three steps are involved: nitrocarburize ("quench"), polish, and post-oxidize ("quench")....

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel Fever
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2017

I`m going to get into a grendel pkg knowing I will need to change out a trigger and also get a proper barrel. Point taken.i have been shooting some steel gongs for a few years , mostly out to 800 yards and on occasion 1000k with my 6.5 cm bolt gun . And it surely has a proper scope.A very nice sightron/20 moa base.Using some 140 gr nosler rdf`s im liking the results.
                        But for an entry level ar 15 6.5 grendel that I can put together with an upper and a lower. I should be able to enjoy this new caliber and adjust accordingly ,and when the MAD Money allows . If I go with one of the combo`s we have been talking about,I will keep in touch for sure. In the meantime, thanks for sharing some well taken advice guys .Have a great night.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel Fever
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2017

Shop our Selection of AR15 Upper Receivers. Uppers from brands like Anderson Manufacturing, Radical Firearms, Aero Precision, Colt, Bravo Company & More.

I`m leaning in this direction , seems like a pretty good place for me to start.
                          Last edited by 6.5 Grendel Fever; 12-15-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel Fever
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

I went and ordered this upper today.

Will use a lower I already have to start with. Am ordering dies tonight.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

If I were on a $700 budget, I would first consider bumping up a bit for the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit (includes everything except the stripped lower, 2-stage MBT-2S trigger, excellent gas system, all billet, all designed and tested to work together from under one roof).

If I couldn't squeeze in the extra ~$100, I would order the Aero Precision OEM 16" AR15 for $499 from Brownell's, toss the barrel/bolt aside, then order one of several different barrel/bolt combo choices listed below.

If you want to go through the build process with parts from here and there, I would order a PSA complete .223 Wylde upper with BCG and CH for $299 and toss the barrel and bolt aside on the EE for $75.

I would order a complete PSA lower for anywhere from $149 to $219 depending on what stock you want.

I would then order a barrel and bolt from either:

Alexander Arms
                              Ballistic Advantage
                              Faxon
                              Look on the EE here on AR15.com, might even be able to find a LaRue 18" Stealth 6.5 Grendel barrel and gas system.

What you will find is that nothing really touches the value of the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit though, considering everything you get with it (furniture, top end trigger, true free float handguard that doesn't even touch the barrel nut, sealed gas system, Tranquillo brake, RAT stock, LaRue pistol grip, etc).
                              Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-17-2017, 12:27 AM.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X