• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tracker12
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Aero Precision Upper Receiver vs BMC

I was looking at using a BMC Receiver and some brand of forearm to go on my 18" Faxon barrel. As I ws reading through some posts I notice a lot of guys using Aero Precision enhanced uppers with the matching forearm. I found it for $150.0 which seems like a pretty good deal considering some of the forearms I was looking at were that price. Thoughts on scrapping the BMC and going with the Aero.
    AR's make shooting fun again!
  • Dcommoncents
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

I've done a few builds using aero receivers and also have their scope mount. Fit and finish is excellent in my view. The handguard attachment on the enhanced upper is probably the best and lightest I've seen. It's actually difficult to impossible to tell where the upper receiver and handguard rail meet.

Comment

• JJA Guns
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2017

I have used Aero parts in lots of builds. Their just as good or better than other forged parts. Most all are built by a handful of companies, just rebranded for the buyer. Their enhanced rail system is pretty slick, 150 is a really good deal particularly if it's a 15" rail.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I’m a big fan of the Aero enhanced system on the AR15 platform. It really does truly free float the barrel and there are no handguard screws that will potentially put uneven pressure on the barrel, or potentially loosen over time and shift poi. The trade off is that Barrel fit into the receiver probably won’t be as tight as the BCM (which I’ve never tried), but a proper bedding combined with the design shoots better than I do with a premium barrel.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Dcommoncents
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          he trade off is that Barrel fit into the receiver probably won’t be as tight as the BCM
          I'm curious, what makes you say this? The proprietary barrel nut?

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
            I'm curious, what makes you say this? The proprietary barrel nut?
            BCM states they make their receivers on the tight side of milspec and most here report the need for a heat gun to loosen up the receiver to get the barrel in. I’ve used a number of the Aero sets and the barrel usually slips right in and requires bedding.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• JJA Guns
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2017

Having to heat the receiver to get the barrel in isn't necessarily a good thing. If the receiver dimensions are larger then when when it was cool. It would seem to me to be putting undue stress into the receiver. We're talking thousandths here. I can't think of any other instances where you have steel being basically a press fit into aluminum. I would rather have a rifle that's in spec and requires a little bedding and alignment issues tweaked than one that had to be heated up to be fit. That said, I've never built anything on a BCM upper or lower. Although I have shot quite a few of their rifles and they're AR's that work as most of them do.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by JJA Guns View Post
                ... We're talking tenthousandths here. ...
                Fixed it for you.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• JJA Guns
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2017

Sticks, I think you need to have a play with a micrometer. .001 is one thousandth. .010 is ten thousandths. I was referring to thousandths, if your into tens of thousands your way out of spec.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by JJA Guns View Post
                    Having to heat the receiver to get the barrel in isn't necessarily a good thing. If the receiver dimensions are larger then when when it was cool. It would seem to me to be putting undue stress into the receiver. We're talking thousandths here. I can't think of any other instances where you have steel being basically a press fit into aluminum. I would rather have a rifle that's in spec and requires a little bedding and alignment issues tweaked than one that had to be heated up to be fit. That said, I've never built anything on a BCM upper or lower. Although I have shot quite a few of their rifles and they're AR's that work as most of them do.
                    A receiver can still be in spec and require heating. BCM states that their receivers are simply on the tight side of spec (again, I've never used one). JP "thermofits" their barrels into the receiver and I've read professional reviews that say having JP fully assemble a rifle for you is like having pixie dust sprinkled on it. Proof Research also told me that they have found there is a measurable (albeit small) difference in accuracy if their barrels require a heated press fit. Note that their 6.5 CM barrel slid into my Aero M5E1 upper like it was a $5 whore and required gasket shellac bedding. It still shoots well above my pay grade, so we are talking minor.

It would be cool to see Aero come out with an enhanced receiver that was spec'd like the BCM and gave it some sort of catchy name like "elite". I'm sure it would do very well.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Slappy
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2014

For what it is worth I have never had any troubles or loose fitting uppers when putting a barrel in. Everyone of mine have been very tight, and parts fit like they where made for each other. I am done building ARs now but I would not use any other upper. I also like the fact that the rear take down pin detention spring is held in place by a Allen screw instead of the end plate. I like Aero’s uppers and lowers, plus you can get them in a few colors now. I am sure their enhanced upper is just as good as the regular ones. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

I use BCM uppers on all my builds for the tight fit.

I used to use a heat gun briefly around the threads for barrel install, now I simply put the receiver in the oven on a low heat setting for a short period of time, and after I take it out the barrel slides right it. Once it cools though, good luck getting the sucker out without heat.
                        Last edited by Kilco; 12-18-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• tracker12
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

What heat setting on the oven do you use and how long is a short time. Can you handle the receiver without gloves?
                          AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• jurassic
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

No oven, hair dryer works for me. The upper is on a reaction rod so I do not have to handle.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by tracker12 View Post
                              What heat setting on the oven do you use and how long is a short time. Can you handle the receiver without gloves?
                              I'll usually set the oven for 250 and set the timer for 10 min.

After five min I'll take it out and check for barrel fit, and get an idea how much longer it will need. Barrel always slides right in easy and once it cools it's solid.

I always wear mechanics style gloves handling the upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X