• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Austkare
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Bear creek upper

Ok guys this is my first post as a new guy. Not new to ARs. Built a few for friends and family in 556 and built a 308 but new to the 6.5. Well bought a Bear Creek complete upper from Primary Arms around Thanksgiving. Mated it to a PSA lower I've had for a while. Matched upped good and tight. Dropped in a Rise armament 3.5lb trigger and to the range I went. Mounted a Nikon 4x12 and sighted in with Hornady 123sst ammo. Really surprised at the accuracy of this thing. Really I didn't expect much from it because of the price. The upper is a 20in stainless fluted. My best group was 1/2 inch and averaged about an inch. Just thought I would give a report on the gun. I'm not a long range shooter, just a hunter and wanted more oomph than the 300 blk out I had. So now I'm going to take it out and try it out on a deer.
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Nice to meet you and thanks for the report. I use a stainless fluted 18" BCA barrel/upper with the same trigger. It's a good combination.

Way more oomph than a 300BLK. I have a spreadsheet that I keep for evaluating rounds/barrel lengths for hunting purposes. The minimums in the spreadsheet are 1,200ft/lbs for elk and 800 for deer. With those minimums you can see the differences between the 300blk and the 6.5 Grendel.

Grendel vs 300blk.jpg
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• IescapedCali
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
      Nice to meet you and thanks for the report. I use a stainless fluted 18" BCA barrel/upper with the same trigger. It's a good combination.

Way more oomph than a 300BLK. I have a spreadsheet that I keep for evaluating rounds/barrel lengths for hunting purposes. The minimums in the spreadsheet are 1,200ft/lbs for elk and 800 for deer. With those minimums you can see the differences between the 300blk and the 6.5 Grendel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10435[/ATTACH]
      Neat chart. Does it have a row for the Grr in 20"? I also have a BCA, 20" stainless, so I'm curious. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Not yet. I would need someone to get me their muzzle velocity out of a 20" barrel along with the bullet weight and BC.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• js8588
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10435[/ATTACH]
          Yeah, that chart is outstanding (and roughly follows my own philosophy).

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Austkare, from the Great Nation of Texas! What part of the world are you in? You, like so many of us, while we read about the Grendel ( before we caught the virus ), once we did one and shot it for the first time were absolutely amazed at the incredible accuracy and repeatability of this Grendel thing. As has been said many times across these pages, the Grendel is addictive!

Comment

• Austkare
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2017

Just John, I'm in the great state of Mississippi. Been in love with the AR platform since my time in the Air Force back in the 80s. Just got into building them myself a few years ago. Only have one complete rifle that I bought, the rest I've put together myself. They are, like they say, tinker toys for grown ups. I love guns too much I guess. The grendel seems to be the best round without going up to the AR 10 platform. I love this forum. Lots of info from folks a whole lot more knowleable than me. I thank everyone for their input.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

Welcome, Austkare. Your results don't surprise me one bit. My first 6.5G (and only until my 12" faxon group buy barrel arrives...careful, Grendel is more addictive than other chamberings) was an 18" BCA complete upper and I've been really happy with it, as I've posted here a few times before. I'm glad you had the same luck, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Austkare View Post
                  Just John, I'm in the great state of Mississippi. Been in love with the AR platform since my time in the Air Force back in the 80s. Just got into building them myself a few years ago. Only have one complete rifle that I bought, the rest I've put together myself. They are, like they say, tinker toys for grown ups. I love guns too much I guess. The grendel seems to be the best round without going up to the AR 10 platform. I love this forum. Lots of info from folks a whole lot more knowleable than me. I thank everyone for their input.
                  Legos for gun guys!!!!!!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    Legos for gun guys!!!!!!
                    Tinker toys were like Legos for a different generation...

Comment

• Austkare
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2017

You saying I'm old? Haha. Well I'm getting there. I'll be 51 in a 2 weeks. Tinker toys legos. Same same. Difference in men and boys is the price of there toys!

Comment

• 41bear
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

You saying I'm old? Haha. Well I'm getting there. I'll be 51 in a 2 weeks. Tinker toys legos. Same same. Difference in men and boys is the price of there toys!
                        Welcome young fellow, 76er ex Navy guy from the 60's. You've still got a ways to go yet in my book.
                        "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

Funny, I turn 41 next week and remember playing with both Tinker Toys and Legos. My other favorites were the Erector Set and the Tommy Gun that I inherited from my uncle. Great toys.

Sorry for the derail. I just had a trip down memory lane...
                          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

I never had a set of tinker toys, always thought they looked cool but nobody had them.

Erector set and Legos for me, 33yo.

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                              I never had a set of tinker toys, always thought they looked cool but nobody had them.

Erector set and Legos for me, 33yo.
                              +1 and +14 years
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X