• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItsRainingLead
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Case trimmer suggestions

Making this decision has been, by far, the most difficult one for me - so I am asking for some help. I am wanting something that will trim/debur/chamfer all in one step, or in one station at least. I am reloading Grendel, Creedmoor, 556 and 10mm.

My initial plan had been to buy a Lyman Case Prep Xpress and use the 8/32 adapter for Lee case trimmers. This would allow me to trim/chamfer, ream/uniform primer pockets and lube in one station. Would this be okay?

I've also considered an RCBC Trim Pro with the RCBS 3 way trimmers. Considered that, but that puts primer reaming/uniforming in a separate step and I am having trouble finding 3 way cutters, in stock, for Grendel.

Also looked at a WFT trimmer, but it only trims.

I don't really want to spend the money on a Giraud. I know that's probably the best option, but I'm just not there yet.
    Last edited by ItsRainingLead; 12-14-2017, 03:43 PM.
  • fdbyrne78
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

I know it doesn't meet all of your requirements, but I use the WFT. I have one for each caliber that I load for. I have a small drill press on my loading table. The WFT is fast but it's also extremely accurate. It's more consistent than any traditional type of trimmer that I've ever used.

Comment

• ItsRainingLead
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
      I know it doesn't meet all of your requirements, but I use the WFT. I have one for each caliber that I load for. I have a small drill press on my loading table. The WFT is fast but it's also extremely accurate. It's more consistent than any traditional type of trimmer that I've ever used.
      Would the accuracy remain if using it on a drill? No drill press here. What are you using to chamfer and deal with the primer pockets?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

I have found that my Lapua cases need very little attention to the pockets. I wet tumble with pins, after de-capping, so the pockets get cleaned then.
        I am not generally in love with Hornady, but I do use their Lock n Load trimmer, a little slow, but quite accurate. As for chamfer and de-burr, I just sit in the easy chair and do 'em up with my rocketship. I usually batch process.

I meant to say cam lock instead of lock n load.
        Last edited by Mad Charlie; 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

• fdbyrne78
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by ItsRainingLead View Post
          Would the accuracy remain if using it on a drill? No drill press here. What are you using to chamfer and deal with the primer pockets?
          Yes. The drill is nothing more than an electric motor in this case. The kind of drill you use does not matter.

I have a hand held chamfer/debur tool that works fine. I think it's a Lyman but it's such a simple tool that I'm sure every company makes one. I never saw a nees to upgrade to a mechanized tool for that since you have to take off such a small amount of material.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
            Warrior
            • Apr 2016

To the OP,
            I would go with your original plan and avoid the 3 way cutters.

Giraud also makes a standalone 3 way head that fits on a drill or electric motor. Caliber specific, and about $100 per caliber.

I have had bad luck with the RCBS version, blades went dull in less than 200 cases and tore up case mouths, lucky it was Federal brass and not my Lapua cases.

Forster makes a tri way trimmer but it only works on their trimmer.

For my purposes I mostly use a Hornady cam lock trimmer, then finish my cases on a Lyman case prep Xpress machine, where I chamfer/deburr, run a brush thru necks and clean primer pockets.

In my experience I would not get too hung up on trimming Grendel brass, my Hornady and Lapua cases are at 5x fired and never needed any trimming. Even though I do chamfer/deburr each time.

My 2c
            SY

Comment

• ItsRainingLead
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
              To the OP,
              I would go with your original plan and avoid the 3 way cutters.

Giraud also makes a standalone 3 way head that fits on a drill or electric motor. Caliber specific, and about $100 per caliber.

I have had bad luck with the RCBS version, blades went dull in less than 200 cases and tore up case mouths, lucky it was Federal brass and not my Lapua cases.

Forster makes a tri way trimmer but it only works on their trimmer.

For my purposes I mostly use a Hornady cam lock trimmer, then finish my cases on a Lyman case prep Xpress machine, where I chamfer/deburr, run a brush thru necks and clean primer pockets.

In my experience I would not get too hung up on trimming Grendel brass, my Hornady and Lapua cases are at 5x fired and never needed any trimming. Even though I do chamfer/deburr each time.

My 2c
              SY
              Thanks Arkh. I will go with my initial choice and report back on how I like it.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

WFT, then RCBS (carbide chamfer bit - did a lot of steel case)
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• terrywick4
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Frankford Arsenal and prep is what I use. It goes off the same concept as the wft trimmer only you can trim, debur and thow in the ready to load bin with out doing anything but move the casing from one station to the next. I did 700 pieces in an evening lickit-t-split. all that I measured (more in the begining than end) were with in +/- .001

Comment

• DDRanch
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2017

Giraud user here. I have a cutter head set up for each caliber I reload for plus have locking rings on shell holders. Very consistent case trimming.

Comment

• Trashy
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2017

My RCBS trim pro with powerhead and 3 way trimmers takes the work out of processing large batches of brass. Got my first 3 away cutter for 300 blk when forming 223 into 300 blk, now I have 3 way cutters in 22, 270 and 7mm. They are worth every penny

Comment

• ItsRainingLead
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2017

I actually ended up going the RCBS route since I could use the rebate from buying the Chargemaster. Did the RCBS trim pro 2 with a 3 way cutter, carbide replacement cutter and 6.5 chamfer pilot. Also got an adapter to mount my drill.

Comment

• Lightning8
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2015

Worlds Cheapest Trimmer off Ebay. I have one for 308, 6.5CM, and 6.5 Grendel. Cheap and easy.

Comment

• rphicks46
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
                            Worlds Cheapest Trimmer off Ebay. I have one for 308, 6.5CM, and 6.5 Grendel. Cheap and easy.
                            Lightning8,
                            How do you set the case length with the cutter?
                            Do you spin the cutter or the case?
                            Also, you say you have one for the Grendel but his site does not show one. Do you use the .223/5.56 and just adjust for length?

Comment

• Lightning8
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2015

I stand corrected - I checked my Worlds Cheapest Trimmer collection and I have 223, 308, 3006, and 6.5 Creedmoor - I do not have a 6.5 Grendel. How, I sent an email to the machine shop that makes these yesterday to see about 280 AI and they can make a trimmer for any caliber if you send a size case to them as a model. I chuck the WCT in a rechargeable drill and "trim" the cases - I hold the drill in one hand and the case to be trimmer in the other over a cardboard box to catch the shavings.

I think you can use some of the WCT for multiple cases - for example, 308 can be used for 308, 260 and 243? I use the 308 for 260.

Comment

Working...
                              X