• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

A thumbs down report

Well I finally got around to checking out the cheap 6.5 Grendel Anderson barrel I bought and to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Very tight chamber, in fact, the only factory load that fits is the Wolf steel cased ammo. I guess I'll keep it just to play around with when I want to blast away for fun cause it didn't cost but about $160.00 total for the upper.

Just thought you guys should know.
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Thanks for the report. There is a good chance that the barrel came from BCA. Most Anderson barrels do. Personally, I'd send it back. Do you have a link to it so we know which one it is?
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• 41bear
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
      Thanks for the report. There is a good chance that the barrel came from BCA. Most Anderson barrels do. Personally, I'd send it back. Do you have a link to it so we know which one it is?

I didn't buy the barrel from these guys, the place I bought it appears to be out of business ... hmmm! However it is the same barrel that I did buy. Hope that helps. As far as sending it back, with so little in it plus wanting to have one barrel only to shoot the steel cased ammo, it's just as easy to keep it.
      "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by 41bear View Post
        https://www.deltateamtactical.com/16...ed_p_4955.html

I didn't buy the barrel from these guys, the place I bought it appears to be out of business ... hmmm!
        Good chance it was out of spec. I wouldn't hold this against Anderson or BCA that being the case. Who knows where it came from.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Since the barrel is phosphate CMV I bet someone could help the barrel with a finish reamer. There were a couple of members here who have a 6.5 Grendel reamer. Maybe they’ll chime in. I had an Olympic 5.56/223 AR-15 barrel which had a very tight chamber and some times would have functioning problems with factory ammo let alone reloads. Finish reamer made a world of difference on that barrel.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-14-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• 41bear
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Since the barrel is phosphate CMV I bet someone could help the barrel with a finish reamer. There were a couple of members here who have a 6.5 Grendel reamer. Maybe they’ll chime in. I had an Olympic 5.56/225 AR-15 barrel which had a very tight chamber and some times would have functioning problems with factory ammo let alone reloads. Finish reamer made a world of difference on that barrel.
            Thanks for the heads up, that's a good idea.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by 41bear View Post
              https://www.deltateamtactical.com/16...ed_p_4955.html

I didn't buy the barrel from these guys, the place I bought it appears to be out of business ... hmmm! However it is the same barrel that I did buy. Hope that helps. As far as sending it back, with so little in it plus wanting to have one barrel only to shoot the steel cased ammo, it's just as easy to keep it.
              They have two sister stores at least operating out of the same address. Try them.

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Trashy
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

If your sure it's an Anderson barrel, contact them and see what they can work out for you. Anderson Mfg. has been real response to me in the past. Good luck with what solution you decide on.

Comment

• Jaggy13
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2017

I just paid $180 for a case of 200 rounds horandy black 123gr ammo.
                  Seems like the barrel is the cheap part. If they don't replace it, I would just get a new one knowing your saving money on ammo you don't need to shoot trying to make it accurate enough to keep.

But like others have said, I have had the same issue with a great barrel manufacturer, we used a hand reamer to open up the chamber a tad and it started shooting great.
                  It doesn't sound like the end of the world, just adding a different spin on it. Once you factor your time, gas and ammo, the $160 barrel/upper seems like the low hanging fruit.

Comment

Working...
                  X