Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      Lol - let’s see some groups!

How about finding an old rabbit ears TV antenna for a bipod
      I would like to see an old rabbit ears antenna for your lightweight build. Have at it.

It sounds like you think the tube is too flexible. Don't try it and don't find out if it is or not.

That is what experimentation is all about.

I can't flex it easily to touch the gas block. I can stand on the pipe.

It is strong enough for me.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Now what you do is go compete in a 3 gun match or PRS match and win with that.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I don't even know where to find a 3 gun or PRS match.

Are they run and gun events, military style? I hope I really don't ever have to clear a room.

My AA Overwatch upper actually has a plastic tube handguard not much different than this.

If it is good enough for Bill Alexander it should be more than good enough for me.

Actually, it shows it is better to put the money into the barrel, instead of the handguard where it will do more good.

Edit: I just looked up 3 gun and PRS. Does PRS mean Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun?
          In my youth, I shot Bullseye and IPSC and DCM.
          Last edited by bj139; 12-16-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• IescapedCali
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            Here is another one of my ideas, electrical schedule 40 PVC handguards.

A union is necessary to make more handguards out of the rest of the pipe without the bell end, unless you made a 10 foot handguard?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10444[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10445[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10446[/ATTACH]
            Think of the muzzle velocity and accuracy you could achieve with a 120" barrel.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

One could wish, but velocity starts to drop off after 28" IIRC
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• jackwagon
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

These barrel nuts are $8 on ebay (free shipping) and will get a barrel attached to a receiver for testing purposes.
                The 10 ft, 1-1/2 inch pipe, available at Lowes, has a bell end on one end.
                Shop CANTEX 1-1/2-in x 10-ft Non-metallic Schedule 40 PVC Conduit in the Conduit department at Lowe's.com. Cantex schedule 40 conduit protects and runs cables and conductors. The schedule 40 PVC is composition is made to resist rust and corrosion in all applications

It can be split with a hacksaw (2 crosscuts worked best)and directly attached to the barrel nut with SS hose clamps.
                I used 2 clamps for redundancy. I wouldn't want the handguard to release accidentally
                A union is necessary to make more handguards out of the rest of the pipe without the bell end, unless you made a 10 foot handguard.
                I attached the union with screws but PVC cement would be permanent.
                I had to cut a relief cut in the tubing inside the union to clear the gas tube as shown in the photo.

I was surprised at how rigid this is when I used it at the range.

Anyway, more options are better, IMHO.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10444[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10445[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10446[/ATTACH]
                They also make a female adapter( if the threads matched up with your barrel nut) you wouldn't need the clamps, just glue the pipe in. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-P...dapter/3699086

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

JW,
                  I think I looked at that since I took the barrel nut to the store and tried the fittings.
                  I know the barrel nut has a finer thread than the pipe threads.
                  Good thinking though.

The union I used has a slight rattle fit, I'm guessing 0.5mm clearance so I needed to slit it to squeeze it around the barrel nut.
                  I tried melting it around the nut with a torch while squeezing with the clamps instead of slitting it.
                  That worked but it looked ugly and no threads were formed in the plastic.
                  Last edited by bj139; 12-17-2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Forrest
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2017

Took my first trip down to Brownells today. Standing there looking at Magpul stuff, two guys next to me are talking about some guy building a stock and handguard from pvc. I asked if they were on 6.5 forum? Nope some other site they said. Small world a?

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                      Took my first trip down to Brownells today. Standing there looking at Magpul stuff, two guys next to me are talking about some guy building a stock and handguard from pvc. I asked if they were on 6.5 forum? Nope some other site they said. Small world a?
                      I posted the same thing on the Facebook group AR15 Snob Free.

It turns out there are more snobs on that site than on 65 Grendel by a huge margin.

Once again, thanks for the kind comments everyone.
                      Last edited by bj139; 12-17-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Whatever blows your skirt up, bj139. I've seen some fairly strange adaptations, both here and abroad (including the now iconic shovel handle stock.) "Form follows function", as they say.

I remember a few folks that cried "Unclean!" when the wooden AR stocks and hand guards were first being marketed. Look now - they've become part of the landscape.

While I can't say that I would build a setup such as yours, I have to tip my hat for your perseverance and ingenuity in making it all come together in a functioning way.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Thanks, NF. This is not a permanent build but a short term solution to get more stability with a pistol buffer tube with the NFA SBR limitation.

Not for You, NF, but in case others read this who may not know: 16" or greater barrels only, if you do not have a SBR permit.

The pieces for the buttstock are not even glued together and it is still VERY stable.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

These barrel nuts are $8 on ebay (free shipping) and will get a barrel attached to a receiver for testing purposes.
                            The 10 ft, 1-1/2 inch pipe, available at Lowes, has a bell end on one end.
                            Shop CANTEX 1-1/2-in x 10-ft Non-metallic Schedule 40 PVC Conduit in the Conduit department at Lowe's.com. Cantex schedule 40 conduit protects and runs cables and conductors. The schedule 40 PVC is composition is made to resist rust and corrosion in all applications

It can be split with a hacksaw (2 crosscuts worked best)and directly attached to the barrel nut with SS hose clamps.
                            I used 2 clamps for redundancy. I wouldn't want the handguard to release accidentally
                            A union is necessary to make more handguards out of the rest of the pipe without the bell end, unless you made a 10 foot handguard.
                            I attached the union with screws but PVC cement would be permanent.
                            I had to cut a relief cut in the tubing inside the union to clear the gas tube as shown in the photo.

I was surprised at how rigid this is when I used it at the range.

Anyway, more options are better, IMHO.

Its not pretty, but I can certainly appreciate ingenuity. If you weld, you can get even more creative. I need to get a bottle of argon before I can start welding aluminum, but once I do I'm going to take a crack at home made muzzle devices and light mounts out of materials available at lowes, etc.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                              Its not pretty, but I can certainly appreciate ingenuity. If you weld, you can get even more creative. I need to get a bottle of argon before I can start welding aluminum, but once I do I'm going to take a crack at home made muzzle devices and light mounts out of materials available at lowes, etc.
                              I have TIG welder and have practised with aluminum. It seems fairly easy if you have at least 10 hours of steel TIG experience.

The PVC was more about quick builds to get the barrel to the range to see how it shoots and a cold weather solution for hunting (less thermal conductivity).

The last two electrical builds I posted (16" 6.5 Grendel and 24" 223) now seem to be permanent.

They function well enough so I don't care for a commercial handguard on them.

The buttstock on the pistol lower I posted first is not together. It will be temporary if I need it.
                              Last edited by bj139; 12-20-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2017

I have TIG welder and have practised with aluminum. It seems fairly easy if you have at least 10 hours of steel TIG experience.
                                I have plenty of experience welding steel with flux core wire, even fabbed up some intricate rock sliders for my truck, but I've yet to weld anything with a separate shielding gas, much less aluminum, so I'm glad to hear that it's not too difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                X