• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

My Schedule 80 AR Grendel

My schedule 80 AR in 6.5 Grendel. Did you ever have a pistol lower and want to put on a 16" or greater barrel and have more stability? This will do in a pinch. Just go to Lowes for the parts. It is not solid enough to mortar out the rounds if they get stuck. ARs are tinker toys for adults. Just don't put a barrel less than 16" on or you will be breaking the law.��

IMG_20170823_134617 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by bj139; 12-16-2017, 02:45 AM.
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Wow, I can't tell if that's a post apocalyptic build, a 1980's version of "steam punk" or just really low budget build.

If you want a very short fixed stock, this is a good option.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Fredman
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Now, that’s thinking with your dipstick.

Very cool!

Comment

• 204 AR
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

That's pretty cool, I wondered about a float tube like that but never thought of the stock, good job.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

By the way, with a reciprocating side charger, you wouldn't have to mortar it. Just give the bolt handle a smack with a 2x4.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Thanks. I was a lttle hesitant to post this for fear of disapproving comments. This was really an attempt at a low budget build.

I had to partially slit the thin wall tubing for the buttstock to get it over the pistol buffer tube but it is remarkably rigid.

I have to try some camo painting of PVC to see if that works well.

I have a few other ideas which I will post as soon as I take some photos.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Awesome!!

Comment

• 41bear
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Bravo, that is truly out of the box thinking!
                "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Post that up with the guy that built an AK out of a grain shovel.

Nice.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

Lol love it!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

The hand guard is actually pretty intriguing. It wouldn't be as cold as aluminum in the winter and is a lot less money than carbon fiber. ABS pipe would probably work as well.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Here is another one of my ideas, electrical schedule 40 PVC handguards.
                        These barrel nuts are $8 on ebay (free shipping) and will get a barrel attached to a receiver for testing purposes.
                        The 10 ft, 1-1/2 inch pipe, available at Lowes, has a bell end on one end.
                        Shop CANTEX 1-1/2-in x 10-ft Non-metallic Schedule 40 PVC Conduit in the Conduit department at Lowe's.com. Cantex schedule 40 conduit protects and runs cables and conductors. The schedule 40 PVC is composition is made to resist rust and corrosion in all applications

It can be split with a hacksaw (2 crosscuts worked best)and directly attached to the barrel nut with SS hose clamps.
                        I used 2 clamps for redundancy. I wouldn't want the handguard to release accidentally
                        A union is necessary to make more handguards out of the rest of the pipe without the bell end, unless you made a 10 foot handguard.
                        I attached the union with screws but PVC cement would be permanent.
                        I had to cut a relief cut in the tubing inside the union to clear the gas tube as shown in the photo.

I was surprised at how rigid this is when I used it at the range.

Anyway, more options are better, IMHO.

IMG_20171215_111218 (Medium).jpgIMG_20171215_111454 (Medium).jpgIMG_20171215_112331 (Medium).jpg

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                          The hand guard is actually pretty intriguing. It wouldn't be as cold as aluminum in the winter and is a lot less money than carbon fiber. ABS pipe would probably work as well.
                          That is why I never bought an aluminum handguard unless it came with an upper. I bought carbon fiber. It is the ultimate for cold weather.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2017

I'd be tempted to try this as a barrel nut. Then you could attach the pipe "hand guard" with screws instead of hose clamps. You could either get a little longer screws or countersink the holes. I'd probably get longer screws so you don't compromise the strength of the tube.
                            This page displays when the page cannot be found, the link is broken, or the page has been moved.

0a22df86-1746-4e2e-b6d2-5f59e80b57bd_1.jpg

Instead of splitting the tube, use either a wood or metal lathe and bore out the center of the bell or coupling a little. It would't take much. You could probably do it with some aggressive sand paper. Heck, clamp the pipe fitting in a vise and use a flap sander in a hand drill.
                            4731569.jpg
                            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                              I'd be tempted to try this as a barrel nut. Then you could attach the pipe "hand guard" with screws instead of hose clamps. You could either get a little longer screws or countersink the holes. I'd probably get longer screws so you don't compromise the strength of the tube.
                              This page displays when the page cannot be found, the link is broken, or the page has been moved.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10447[/ATTACH]

Instead of splitting the tube, use either a wood or metal lathe and bore out the center of the bell or coupling a little. It would't take much. You could probably do it with some aggressive sand paper. Heck, clamp the pipe fitting in a vise and use a flap sander in a hand drill.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]10448[/ATTACH]
                              That nut should work.
                              I had to buy the other nut to test fit different tubing.
                              The first picture I posted at the beginning of this thread uses a different barrel nut which I got with my $80 carbon fiber HG.
                              There, I mounted it as the original HG was mounted but with longer screws I purchased at Lowes, as you are considering.

I figured even if this was unsuccessful, the most I would be out was about $10.

I just bought two more barrel nuts yesterday like the type I showed. They just get the barrel attached to the receiver at the cheapest cost.
                              I have even shot it that way without a HG.

Comment

Working...
                              X