• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CastorTroy
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

HD Pistol ammunition recommendation

Once my 12" pistol is complete, it is going to become my HD gun. I am looking for ammunition suggestions. I know that previously LRRPF52 has suggested the 123gr AMAX/SST for HD applications, and I'm curious if that holds true out of a 12" or shorter barrel.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I don't wander if a light varmint bullet would be better. SD/HD rounds you really don't want over penetration. When you need to start thinking about the target, the wall behind it, the outside wall, and the neighbors walls, there might be an issue.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

85gr Sierra
      90gr TNT
      95gr VMAX
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-15-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

+1 on the Varmint bullets. I use 110 gr Varmageddons in 300 BLK HD Carbine and my new 300 BLK truck pistol is shooting my load really well. The thin jacketed designs that almost explode on impact should be able to transfer a lot of energy on 2 legged varmints.

Probably not the best bullet selection to have to explain to a judge or jury, but better to live if it comes to that.

I really wish Nosler would make a 6.5 Varmageddon
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I heard that for HD with pistols it is better to use factory ammo.
            It would be brought up in trial that you were loading extra lethal ammo if you used reloads.
            Even if you reloaded lower power loads they would spin it as being extra lethal.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              I heard that for HD with pistols it is better to use factory ammo.
              It would be brought up in trial that you were loading extra lethal ammo if you used reloads.
              Even if you reloaded lower power loads they would spin it as being extra lethal.
              The prosecution is going to go for anything to hang you out to dry if it goes to trial. Even if you used factory ammo, "you used an uncommon rifle caliber pistol rather than a .380 or a .22 to defend your home, don't you think that is excessive in itself?"

"Factory varmint ammo sold as "Explosive Results" on small game. Why would you want to shoot a person with that? Hoping they would explode like the varmints?"

End of the day, first and foremost one hopes they have castle doctrine and stand your ground laws in their state.

Second, shoot with what ever is available until the threat is stopped.

Third, the threat better have been in your home when the shots were fired.

Fourth, you have the right to remain silent, use it, and hope you or someone has the number of a good attorney.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Some of the most reputable trainers (who also provide their services to various LE agencies) recommend a suppressed AR15 for home defense over a handgun or shotgun.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Some of the most reputable trainers (who also provide their services to various LE agencies) recommend a suppressed AR15 for home defense over a handgun or shotgun.
                  A local DA/Prosecution however does not share that feeling...anywhere. The unfortunate reality.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

There have been several cases of HD with AR15 and no charges filed against the victims, including multiple assailants who gained entry by force.

I can think of at least 2 where the defenders were young adolescents at home during the school/work day, which is the most likely time for a burglary.

Very rarely do you have forced entry at night like all the silly commercials, since burglars usually aren't looking for full houses of people.

If you live in an area where scumbag prosecutors with a bias against gun owners rule the roost, make sure to have a good insurance policy with a retainer of a good attorney who specializes in personal and home defense cases.

The legal aspects of home defense are beyond the scope of the ammunition sub forum.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      If you live in an area where scumbag prosecutors with a bias against gun owners rule the roost, make sure to have a good insurance policy with a retainer of a good attorney who specializes in personal and home defense cases.

The legal aspects of home defense are beyond the scope of the ammunition sub forum.
                      ^^^^This^^^^

Know your state laws as well.

To quote Mark Wahlberg in Deepwarter Horizon "Hope is not a tactic"
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                      X