• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VikingCruze
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

COL Above 2.265?

Anyone try any longer COL than 2.265? I can get 2.290 to fit in my Grendel mag. 2.27 is the longest I’ve ever loaded .223. I’m just getting started with the Grendel and the 123SMK’s didn’t impress me much with 8208. I’m guessing they need to be closer to the lands. I’m measuring 2.346 to the lands.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I haven't gone beyond 2.270 for my Grrr ARs, mostly sticking to 2.240-2.260 unless the 90 TNTs, then 2.180.
    I loaded a few 107 smk's to 2.260, they shot ok for a first time load, ~1 moa plus 1 flyer. I haven't done any ladders with them yet.
    In my Howa HB I load Nosler 130 ABs to 2.300.

I would suggest settling in on a preferred powder/load grs before playing with the cartridge length.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by VikingCruze View Post
      Anyone try any longer OACL than 2.265? I can get 2.290 to fit in my Grendel mag. 2.27 is the longest I’ve ever loaded .223. I’m just getting started with the Grendel and the 123SMK’s didn’t impress me much with 8208. I’m guessing they need to be closer to the lands. I’m measuring 2.346 to the lands.

Be careful going over Saami specs without measuring exactly where your “lands” are.

Comment

• Cornbread
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

I've got a ladder loaded at 2.290 that I'm waiting to to shoot with the same bullet. The Amax likes it at 2.245 whis is about what the factory loading is. I hear the smk shoots better closer to the lands. You can get a windowed mag and load even longer. Going to try that this spring.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I modified the frontal wall of an older - junky C products 10 rnd. Grrr mag to run at 2.33 oal with the older version - the Original style of GMX's .

Tig welding is fun! It drops free from the well, even in empty mode. I'm still designing a new front plate to weld in , to run at 2.400. Still running ideas for the Grr Maxx Lite. AR 15 style.

Ask Von G, he knows my ideas.. Slower powders may be the route here.

Do some read back , guys.

Always check the jump to the rifling guys. Pressure spikes can be really BADD! Learn it, know it-- then live it. Study all this reload stuff.

Do Not Take Any Of This For Granted! These measurements need to be as exact as possible, no guessing..

You do not want a part of your face, and eye- blown off, by a mistake. OR . worse..

I know a few at Feddy, the lawsuits keep arriving- from overcharged loads- it costs millions to try to settle them....

Don't accidentally do this to yourself.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 12-15-2017, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

A lot of how long you can load a round depends on the bullet being used and the ogive shape, bit before loading long read Sneaky;s post again a few times. For any load it is a good idea to know how deep you have to seat the bullet for contact with the lands. Part of that has to do with your chamber but also the bullet. Long secant ogive bullets like the Berger VLDs can be loaded longer than the tangent ogive bullets like the Sierra match kings. The key to safely loading safely is to start low and work you way up just like any other load but I think pressures spike quicker doing that and is best left to EXPERIENCED loaders. There is a reason Berger data seems low compared to a lot of other data out there, they recommend for lots of their bullets to be touching the lands.

Bottom line we as reloaders are responsible and accountable for out actions just like driving a car, someone could get hurt or KILLED if we screw up.

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
              I modified the frontal wall of an older - junky C products 10 rnd. Grrr mag to run at 2.33 oal with the older version - the Original style of GMX's .

Ask Von G, he knows my ideas.. Slower powders may be the route here.

As with any reloading exercise and in particular when you are delving into the unknown (so to speak) be very aware of ALL THE RELEVANT safety precautions. Know and understand the pressure causes and whether they are incremental and at what stage they compound. Ladder tests with velocity reading is another very usefull tool in the developement phase and watching for the change in velocity increase per charge increase can offer much informationon when to back off.
              I am able to load my Grendel-Max to 2.405 in the modified mini mauser which is what Sneaky is refering to as far as his own AR trials are concerned -- but this is with a great deal of undertanding of how to go about these experimental loading tests
              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• VikingCruze
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

Comment

• VikingCruze
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                  Be careful going over Saami specs without measuring exactly where your “lands” are.
                  Thanks for the heads up. I do measure the lands with my Hornady gear and modified case. I mentioned it was 2.346

Comment

• VikingCruze
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                    I've got a ladder loaded at 2.290 that I'm waiting to to shoot with the same bullet. The Amax likes it at 2.245 whis is about what the factory loading is. I hear the smk shoots better closer to the lands. You can get a windowed mag and load even longer. Going to try that this spring.

Comment

• VikingCruze
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      A lot of how long you can load a round depends on the bullet being used and the ogive shape, bit before loading long read Sneaky;s post again a few times. For any load it is a good idea to know how deep you have to seat the bullet for contact with the lands. Part of that has to do with your chamber but also the bullet. Long secant ogive bullets like the Berger VLDs can be loaded longer than the tangent ogive bullets like the Sierra match kings. The key to safely loading safely is to start low and work you way up just like any other load but I think pressures spike quicker doing that and is best left to EXPERIENCED loaders. There is a reason Berger data seems low compared to a lot of other data out there, they recommend for lots of their bullets to be touching the lands.

Bottom line we as reloaders are responsible and accountable for out actions just like driving a car, someone could get hurt or KILLED if we screw up.

Comment

• VikingCruze
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2017

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by VikingCruze View Post
                          Thanks for the heads up. I do measure the lands with my Hornady gear and modified case. I mentioned it was 2.346
                          I was not sure how you had achieved that!
                          Sorry.

Comment

• xlcc
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2016

The COL is only important to your rifle and how it is throated during the chambering procedure and what your magazine will accept for reliable feeding.Even with seating the bullets for a long COL does not mean your rifle will prefer it unless you test to find out where your gun likes the COL to be with that bullet and powder charge.

Comment

Working...
                            X