• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Split Front Chest Rig

Just finished this one the other day. These balance out really nicely with the hydration pouch on the back, unlike other webbing-based chest harnesses that always make me feel like I'm being pulled forward.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Dcommoncents
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Nice, what brand is it or did you make it? Is the hydration pouch removable, and what is the attachment method in the front - zipper?

I've been tinkering with my lbc rigs ad nauseum to find something that plays nice with my 4A "in conjunction with" soft armor panel/plate setup. I like to keep the armor clean so I don't have all sorts of kit banging around in a bump in the night kind of situation, so I have to have a separate rig like what you have. I have gone from a split front rig with integrated hydration pouch that gave me plenty of real estate for carrying gear but I found too bulky, particularly the shoulder harness padding, to the other end of the spectrum and a minimalist x style carrier (I think it's a blue force gear 10 speed rig)with four integrated mag pouches to which I added a compact IFAK kit, radio pouch, and one additional rifle and pistol pouch. Your rig looks like a nice middle ground to me if the hydration pouch can be removed (I don't like putting a ruck over the hydration bladder or removing it first).

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I made everything that is sewn from scratch, including the pouches.

The Camelbak pouch is shorter than most, so a Ruck kidney pad doesn't crush it. The entire hydration system is quick-detach removable and can be made into its own separate normal pack with additional straps, or removed easily for filling.

The Camelbak pouch also has an emergency meal pouch inside of it, which is one of my personal SOPs I use.

The front separates with 1/2" Fastex buckles placed strategically to bring the panels together so it utilizes full real estate in the front, rather than losing critical space with normal 1" faster buckles sewn off the edge of the panels.

The shoulder harness on my vests are flat, with 3 thin layers. There is space mesh against the shoulder, then 2 layers of 500D Cordura, but the harness has 3 3/8" wide shoulder straps. I never liked bulky straps on vests or LCE because they just dig into your traps, especially when you place a ruck over the vest, so I've never made bulky straps on any of my gear for that reason.

There is something else about the shaping of the vest that might be easily overlooked with the pouches on that I find is night and day difference compared to all the others I've seen or used on the market. Problem is getting into pouches on the sides with most chest rigs, and I first noticed this with my British DPM pattern chest rig that I had when I was in LRS, even with the angled pocket openings.

None of my vests have that problem.

If you have something custom in mind, let me know as well.

This is the split front 2 x 7 Wide MOLLE with integral Camelbak. I make a smaller Micro Rig with single 8 wide panel, and a larger 2 x 8 split front that allows 2 mag pouches and 1 SAW pouch per panel. I'll get pics of that up as well.
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-15-2017, 06:57 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I added a 1.5" elastic webbing channel for the Camelbak hose to direct it 90˚ towards center instead of dangling all over.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

i may want one. how much will they cost??

Comment

• Dcommoncents
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
              i may want one. how much will they cost??
              I was wondering too, but didn't ask because I'm afraid I lack sufficient restraint if I like the answer!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I'm working out contract sewing as we speak.

There are all sorts of options.

I'm also doing a more simple Micro Chest rig that works well for hunters, with the integrated Camelbak/hydration system.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  I'm working out contract sewing as we speak.

There are all sorts of options.

I'm also doing a more simple Micro Chest rig that works well for hunters, with the integrated Camelbak/hydration system.
                  I could have sworn you mentioned owning a sweatshop full of aspiring seamstresses...
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

This one holds 4 x 30rd AR mags, 3 x pistol mags on the Left, Misc pouch on the right with internal elastic retention under the lid, pile tape inside for removable spacers (can be used for combo of pistol mags, handheld light, multitool, handcuffs, batteries, energy bar, etc. All pouches are padded and lined. Feed lips are fully protected inside the pouches from impact, and pouches are lined with 400D packcloth. All materials are made in the USA with Mil-spec fabrics and components, including YKK zippers, Dupont 500D lightweight Cordura, and binding tape. The harness, backs of the panels, and hydration are spacer mesh for comfort and breathability. This harness is balanced for the load so that you don't get that typical front-heavy load shift commonly seen on chest rigs, even when the hydration bladder is empty.

Then you have 3 MOLLE wide on each side for your IFAK, utility pouches, radio, whatever.

Integrated hydration system with snag-free management of the hose and directional routing to prevent snag dangle of the hose. Hose is cut to length.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X