• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tracker12
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Will this be a problem?

I bought a Blem BMC Upper receiver. It arrived today and has only two noticeable issue. One scratch and a small indent on the first thread on the front of the receiver where the barrel but goes. It is very slight bend towards the receiver. Do this this will be a problem with screwing on the barrel nut. Tried to pos a pic but it keeps saying my file is to big.
    AR's make shooting fun again!
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by worthen86ford View Post
      Shouldn’t be a big deal but dont try to force the barrel nut. Get you a thread file or a triangular file to take down the material on the bent thread. Basically you’re trying to reprofile it so it doesn’t roll up a gall.
      This is the advice I would give as well.

Once you carefully clean up the damaged thread, brush it off thoroughly and wash it with acetone, preferably spray with a receptacle below.

You don't want any metal shavings getting caught in the threads, as it's close to an interference fit.

Apply some TW25 or anti-sieze and install per normal procedures, including setting the tennon with 3 on/off torques and final torque.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

My dad always took a square file and smoothed the first thread about the first quarter of the way around. It was easier, he said, and you only had to take the first thread down about half way, about 90 degrees of rotation around. No chance that way, he said, of making that first thread a different pitch from the rest, which would result in increased chances of a gall and being bound when torqued. I've always just used this method and removed the upper 1/2 of the trouble threads elevation, it's always worked like a charm. His rule was that if you couldn't fix a thread this way, then you needed to re-thread with a die anyway. It has served me well. My two cents...
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• tracker12
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

If you need to wait for your barrel, I’d call them on it. A damaged thread is more than a cosmetic blemish.....
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• tracker12
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

I guess I could do that.

Comment

• tracker12
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Contacted BCM and they got back to me in a few hours and said that a new Receiver is in the mail and sent me a return label. Great customer service there. I was willing to try the build with it but they just went ahead and sent a new one.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

And... cue Happy Face!

A phone call should be the only thing ever needed for such issues. Glad they saw it your way without any fuss.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Awesome. Let us know if they include any schwag
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                    X