• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

12" Faxon Group Buy Build

So I finally got in everything I need for my 12" Pistol Build.

12" Faxon Group Buy Barrel with 5REE rifling, nitrided with Grendel monster logo, 5/8x24 thread

Bootleg Adjustable Gas Bolt Carrier

Just a standard forged receiver set for now, Alexander Arms upper, PSA lower. I have an ADM ambi lower on the way.

I was going to ditch the Rousch Sports handguard but I think I'll keep it.

ThunderBeast Arms BA Flash Hider for Ultra series (Ultra 5 can in jail, can't wait)

SB Tactical PDW Brace FDE

LaRue MBT-2S trigger

I just mocked it up to get a feel for what the weight would be. Feels great and is very handy. I plan on doing battle worn FDE Cerakote on the whole thing I think.

Still haven't fully decided on optics. I know I want to see what this will actually do at distance, so I want very clear glass with a Mil hash reticle and preferably 10x magnification on the top end.

I have several scopes I can throw on there in the mean time for velocity ladders, but I think I'd be better off getting a good piece of glass and not mess with in-betweens.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Looks good LR52. I hope you meant cerakote everything but the monster!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

That SB PDW looks worthy! How do you like it? I'm with you, I really want the Maxim, but can't justify the extra cost for the small upgrades. If I do the SB, I'm planning on getting the SCS combo kit from them. It makes it 340ish...

What grip is that, it looks beefier in the palm swell. That would be nice meat to grip on a pistol. Is it rubberized? Does it get tacky like the Hogue grip? Lots of curiosity spiked here... I'm trying to decide on my grip. So far, leaning either MOE or BCM Mod0. ( I actually have a shelf grip that I thought would be funny, and can't bring myself to build it that way...)

-Ks

P.S. What mule is that below? Looks well loved! (Is that the stock off your Larue?)
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

The grip is a Sierra Precision and can be had at Brownells. They feel really good in the hand.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

A great looking rifle and pistol, LR.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            That SB PDW looks worthy! How do you like it? I'm with you, I really want the Maxim, but can't justify the extra cost for the small upgrades. If I do the SB, I'm planning on getting the SCS combo kit from them. It makes it 340ish...

What grip is that, it looks beefier in the palm swell. That would be nice meat to grip on a pistol. Is it rubberized? Does it get tacky like the Hogue grip? Lots of curiosity spiked here... I'm trying to decide on my grip. So far, leaning either MOE or BCM Mod0. ( I actually have a shelf grip that I thought would be funny, and can't bring myself to build it that way...)

-Ks

P.S. What mule is that below? Looks well loved! (Is that the stock off your Larue?)
            Here's where I'm at with the the telescoping braces.

If you're looking to just have something in SBR-ish format, the SB tactical brace is a great option instead of your standard stocks, but at 4x the price of a a Magpul MOE, for example. The cheek weld actually feels much better than I'm used to with steel telescoping stocks or wire stocks, because you have the RET in the middle, forming a SOPMOD-like shape. I wouldn't want to put my face on the steel tube in extreme cold though, especially with exhalation condensation.

If you want a true compact PDW configuration, I think the Battle Arms Development, CMT, LWRC, Q Honey Badger, or Noveske Ghetto Blaster PDW are the way to go, but currently only offer actual stocks that require a stamp, as well as proprietary recoil systems. I asked Battle Arms Development about a Brace option for their integrated PDW lower, and they said it will be coming soon, so I expect to see it at SHOT. They're not cheap.

When you step up into the proprietary recoil systems, shorter telescoping braces, integrated MP5A3-like lowers, the price goes way up. You also have proprietary bolt carriers that are designed to work with some of the recoil systems.

I'm at the point where I'm realizing more how the relationship of bullet weight to rifle weight really needs to be balanced if you want consistent tight groups. The light Grendels are very unforgiving when shooting 120gr and higher, whereas 90gr is almost recoil-free. I like how my 95gr Controlled Chaos load handles in the lightweight Grendels, but I want to stretch this 12" out to see what it will actually do at distance.

(The 16.5" Lilja 316 beneath the 12" in the picture is a really lightweight Grendel build for hunting. I'm supposed to sell it, but it's so accurate, I don't want to let it go, and very few of those 316 Wasp barrels were made.)

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X