Not Grendel related. Bolt rifle...does the round turn with the bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muzz1504
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

Not Grendel related. Bolt rifle...does the round turn with the bolt?

or does the extractor turn around the cartridge?

May be a foolish question but a couple of years ago, my brother brought a Rem 700 in .270 that he wanted me to look at. Seemed a little tight when closing the bolt and the ejector kind of smeared the headstamp a little bit as it slid over it. I took the bolt out, checked that rounds would chamber without sticking, then took the ejector off and there was no resistance when closing the bolt. All I could figure was that the ejector was putting too much pressure on the cartridge jamming it against the side of the chamber hard enough that the bolt was sliding around the brass allowing the ejector to smear the headstamp. I shortened the ejector a little and weakened the ejector spring a bit, put it back together, and it seems ok. Still ejects ok and don't feel pressure when closing the bolt. He made me a deal on it cause he was spooked by it. I have been shooting it since with no problems.

But I still can't get it straight in my head if the bolt is supposed to turn around the cartridge or not. For those who don't know, a Rem 700 is a push feed action and the ejector is built into the bolt.

Not a gunsmith, I just like to tinker with things so go easy on me.
Working...
X