Under gassed? Bad mag? Broken extractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nathan197
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

Under gassed? Bad mag? Broken extractor?

I have a 20 inch odin works barrel and their matching bcg and adjustable gas block. While shooting (factory hornady black, and sst) sometimes i get extraction and new round fed. Other times i get round extracted but no round fed. Today I got no extraction or round fed occasionally (thinking i jad the block closed on these) All of these results were while trying to adjust the gas block for proper gassing starting with block closed. Using 15 round asc mag. Manually extracts fine every time. Any thoughts? Also I believe I have a carbine buffer spring as it has 39 coils.
  • nathan197
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

First time using an adjustable gas block, upon further inspection there are 2 "bolts" for adjusting. One actually allows more or less gas and the other essentially is a jam nut. So all of my "adjusting" was just loosening the jam nut. It was about 1/4 open, now I actually adjusted it open more and hopefully it'll do the trick. Rookie mistakes

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Good luck. My adjustable gas block is only about 4 clicks from max opened to get bolt to lock back. It has 11 clicks of adjustment total if i remember right.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

What did your initial adjustment of the gas block work-up look like, or did you do it?

Carbon-up the system first with 200 rounds.

Gas down on lowest setting, single round in magazine, chamber, fire, observe.

Dial open incrementally until you get lock, observe ejection pattern and feel of the recoil system.

Add one more quarter turn, should be dialed-in.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ditcher
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Sounds like a under gas issue.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Aren't adjustable gas blocks only useful with a suppressor or if your gas port hole is too large?

Comment

• nathan197
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2017

Spent some more time at the range with the gas block now open, rounds feed well out of pmags (only about 5 or so). I get good extraction from asc mags but feeding is hit and miss. Picked up 2 more to see if mine just doesn't like asc mags and I'm gonna order some elander mags to see how they do. I think it's down to mag issues now which seems to be a regular thing after reading on here.

Comment

• Ditcher
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

My rifle wouldn't feed right with the ASC 10rd mag with hornady but would work 100% with the wolf. The ASC 25rd mag seem to work fine with both.
                I'm also wanting to test out some Elander mags

Comment

Working...
                X