• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TKO
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

Not a Grendel but a 300 AAC Subsonic Buck - GRAPHIC

After checking the weather report, I made some preliminary plans for the opening day of the Pa antlered deer season, got to bed early and, of course, couldn't sleep.

Twenty minutes before sunrise found me arriving later than I wanted, but I made good time to where I would be parking my butt until 1:00 PM. I promised to be back home early to help with Christmas cookies. The area I was hunting was very familiar to me as I hunt spring turkeys there and, in doing so, I have been honing in on the early morning doings of the local whitetails. I positioned myself between a known feeding and bedding area, found a large dead fall to sit on and settled in to wait for things to become a little brighter.

The ground where I was set up is always damp as it is on the edge of a swampy area that bisects a hardwood stand on the flat and a conifer laden hillside. I was positioned right near the lip of the hillside, but not close enough to see down over as I knew that hillside would be the final and not current location of the local whitetails. The main deer trail ran to my left, down over the hill and to my right, to the hardwoods and a field beyond that.

At around 7:30 AM I heard the deer before I could see him. He silently traversed the swampy area, but I could hear him pulling the grasses out of the ground and pawing the ground on the other side of a large hemlock that blocked my view of him. The hemlock, thankfully, blocked his view also and allowed me to turn toward him and get into a facsimile of a decent shooting position.

When he finally cleared the hemlock it was immediately apparent that he was a legal shooter. He was no wall hanger, but for my area he was nothing shameful with 4 points on one side and five on the other with a fifteen inch spread. He was angled dead on to me and had his head down grazing. The wind was in my favor and had been dead steady all morning, so that was of no concern. I looked for other deer, but unless they were hidden by the hemlock, there were none.

I laid the cross hairs at the neck/back juncture and told myself that, if I was shooting supersonics, this is where I would place one. Just drive it on through to the boiler room, but I was hunting with subsonics. I decided that I would wait for a better shot. He must have heard me thinking because he raised his head and looked right through me. He wasn't alerted, but he wasn't sure either, so I figured better to send a slug into the center chest of a stationary deer than having to shoot as he wheeled around. He was angled about ten degrees off plumb when I put the crosshairs on the juncture of his neck and his chest. My Ruger was at about his head height, so I lowered my aim slightly and angled for his heart and sent one. Forty yards later I heard the slap of the bullet as it impacted and watched him scrunch up and begin to run to his right. Five yards into his sprint I could see he was beginning to falter. Ten yards in he began to list forward on the run. Fifteen yards in I lost sight of him in the tall grass and at twenty yards I heard him crash to the ground.

The 220 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip RN passed through the neck and into the thoracic cavity unmolested by bone exhibiting a nice, double caliber hole in the cavity wall. From there it passed through the leading lobe of the left lung and entered the top of the heart exiting the heart about mid-line with the same double caliber hole. It then passed through the diaphragm and entered the stomach. The entry wound into the thoracic cavity was indicative of good expansion as was the entry and exit wounds to the heart. There was no exit wound in the stomach. I actually considered digging through about a gallon of digesting grass to find the slug, but the thought of that was just a bit too daunting and, well, nasty.

Next comes doe season . . .

One well fed whitetail

nci2qa.jpg

Entrance wound:

fmj7vd.jpg

2vnor3r.jpg

sm7spe.jpg

Heart entrance wound:

nprx9f.jpg

Heart exit wound:

fej9mr.jpg
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Congrats! That's the Nosler BT made for 300 AAC expansion at subsonic, right?

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• xlcc
      Warrior
      • Feb 2016

Nice young buck you have there.I enjoyed your story.I 'll bet you can eat right up to the bullet hole.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Nice one TKO

How do you find those 220 RN Noslers in the Blackout?

Comment

• TKO
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Congrats! That's the Nosler BT made for 300 AAC expansion at subsonic, right?

That's the one.

Nosler's part number 30181

Comment

• TKO
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Nice one TKO

How do you find those 220 RN Noslers in the Blackout?
            Klem,

The bullet has been a very good performer for me in my 8" 1 in 7" twist barrel AR build and also in my RARR with a 16" 1 in 7".

I have read where some people have had issues with stability with slower twists.

It is rather long...

IMG_20170921_110120466_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Here are three good loads I have come up with. I was limited to 34 yards, but you get the idea. I have shot sub MOA five shot groups with both guns with this bullet and, so far, have had good expansion on groundhogs, fox and deer at subsonic velocities.

vr65c4.jpg

All three of these loads cycled my AR flawlessly, but had to be adjusted down in velocity for the 16" RARR to maintain SubSonic.

Comment

• TKO
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
              Nice young buck you have there.I enjoyed your story.I 'll bet you can eat right up to the bullet hole.
              Thanks. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Actually, my son and his family are the ones eating him.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Nice buck and great story. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

TKO,

The 220SMK which I have been loading for a few years which is the industry standard for subsonic factory ammunition is 1.489" in length. My experience is that is tumbles through flesh and this is as good as you can hope for in subsonic hunting bullets. Dedicated subsonic-weight/speed 'hunting' bullets from Blackout Bullets and Outlaw State don't expand at all. Mainstream heavy 30cal bullets designed to expand in flesh like the 220 Sierra Pro, the Hornady equivalent Hunter and Berger Hybrid's act like monoliths below 1,000fps. Which is why I am interested with this 2017 release of what looks like a dedicated expanding round at subsonic velocities.

Your target does not show massive explosive expansion but that is not surprising. I am wondering if it tumbled or expanded. The good thing is that it did not exit. My experience is that heavy subsonic just keeps on going out the other side taking precious energy with it.

I see it is also reasonably priced.

I found the length of your Hornady bullet...it's 1.420"
                  We engineered the Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet to be very predictable and extremely forgiving. Whether you’re after Whitetails, Blacktails, Mulies or Pronghorns, Ballistic Tip bullets deliver the kind of accuracy, consistency and down-range punch required for putting down that buck in any situation.
                  Last edited by Klem; 12-20-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• TKO
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    TKO,

The 220SMK which I have been loading for a few years which is the industry standard for subsonic factory ammunition is 1.489" in length. My experience is that is tumbles through flesh and this is as good as you can hope for in subsonic hunting bullets. Dedicated subsonic-weight/speed 'hunting' bullets from Blackout Bullets and Outlaw State don't expand at all. Mainstream heavy 30cal bullets designed to expand in flesh like the 220 Sierra Pro, the Hornady equivalent Hunter and Berger Hybrid's act like monoliths below 1,000fps. Which is why I am interested with this 2017 release of what looks like a dedicated expanding round at subsonic velocities.

Your target does not show massive explosive expansion but that is not surprising. I am wondering if it tumbled or expanded. The good thing is that it did not exit. My experience is that heavy subsonic just keeps on going out the other side taking precious energy with it.

I see it is also reasonably priced.

I found the length of your Hornady bullet...it's 1.420"
                    https://www.nosler.com/ballistic-tip-bullet/
                    I don't believe that it tumbled; I believe that it expanded. First, bullet track was laser straight. Second, both entrance and exit wound in the firm heart muscle as well as the chest cavity entrance were all the same double caliber'ish size hole. Third, I don't believe you would get the depth of penetration that I did with tumbling. IMHO.

Comment

• TKO
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                      Nice buck and great story. Thanks for posting.
                      You are welcome and thanks!

Comment

• Les
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2016

Nice job, right bullet, right velocity.
                        Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• TKO
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Les View Post
                          Nice job, right bullet, right velocity.
                          Thanks, Les!

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2017

Nice buck. Haven’t been following newer developments for the 300blk subs will have to pick up a couple of boxes for one of my BLKs to run it through.

Comment

Working...
                            X