At what distance should you zero your Eotech 512???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

At what distance should you zero your Eotech 512???

I wonder at what distance to zero this thing.... any suggestions?

What do you use it for? I like my 3 gun AR's zeroed at 200 but my precision Grendel at 100.
    If most of your shooting is between muzzle & 300yds, I would say 200 would be ideal.

MLM

Comment

hi gene,

nice looking grendel. who made that barrel and what length

Comment

• Kikn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

75-100 yards for red dots. I'm not sure how your vision is but on 1x I doubt you'd really be able to utilize the 3x that much and even still pushing the 200 yard mark is really pushing it out for the amount you can really dail in a holographic sight. Since its not talky about precision but about target acquisition

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

65, the barrel is an 18 inch satern.... thanks.

Kikn, yes, that was my real question; given the nature of a large dot versus a fine reticle on a scope, what are the realistic limits for shooting with an eotech???

Comment

• Kikn
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

my friend chris has an eotech 512 on his dpms .308 and had taken down many hogs up to 100 yards beyond that it gets increasingly more difficult to put shots on target due to the large holographic dot. I had this same conversation with him when I was setting up my rifle. I also nearly went with the 3x zoom for the 512 he eventually talked me into getting the trijicon 1x4x30, tr24 with a burris fast fire ii. since that setup has been moved to my beowulf as that setup is more suitable to the limits of that rifle and replaced with a 3x9x42 ss so that I can hunt at distance at night. Sorry back on track.. With that being said I still like your setup but is set it up about 3/4 as far as you feel that you can hit your target with the naked eye

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
              I wonder at what distance to zero this thing.... any suggestions?
              GG:

My experiences with EOTechs are that if you can find one that will adjust and more importantly will hold its zero, that you can get a decent zero to about 200. If your EOTech actually works -- adjusts and holds a zero -- 200 should not be a problem for you.

LR55

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                GG:

My experiences with EOTechs are that if you can find one that will adjust and more importantly will hold its zero, that you can get a decent zero to about 200. If your EOTech actually works -- adjusts and holds a zero -- 200 should not be a problem for you.

LR55
                What do you mean about the adjusting and the holding of the zero? I thought EOTECH was top quality stuff... in fact the best of the best in terms of holographic sights? Do you know something that i dont? Do share, please. Thanks

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

What do you mean about the adjusting and the holding of the zero? I thought EOTECH was top quality stuff... in fact the best of the best in terms of holographic sights? Do you know something that i dont? Do share, please. Thanks
                  GG:

Sure. Based on about ten years dealing with the ones sold to the Army, I found a much higher percentage of them would not adjust elevation or windage and would not hold zero than the CCO's. The percentage was so much higher that I stopped trusting the EOTechs.

A good test of your EOTech would be to run a box drill to see if it tracks. Then turn it off for a minute and turn it back on and see if your zero held up. If it stays within plus or minus two minutes, your EOTech is working about as well as it will work.

LR1955

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Ok... forgive the maybe stupid question... but ... what is a "box drill"?

Thanks

Comment

Ok... forgive the maybe stupid question... but ... what is a "box drill"?

Thanks
                      that ia when you set your zero on your optic. Then, you adjust your windage to 3" to the right. Aim at the original zero spot, and shot 3-4 rounds. Your rounds should be impacting 3" inches to the right of your point of aim. Then, adjust your apotic to shoot 3 inches down. Shoot again....aiming at your original zero location. these shots should hit 3" inches below the previous group. Then, adjust the optic back 3" to the left. Shoot a a group.......finally, adjust the optic to shoot 3" up. shoot a group. your final group should be back at your original "zero" location.

Basically, this tests the reliability of the the windage and elevation settings/repeatability on your optic.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Understood. Thanks.

Comment

i dont have an eotech on my grendel but i have the 512 on my 5.56. i have it zeroed in at 50 yards its dead on at 50 and dead on at 200 yards. In these videos my wife and me are both pretty much shooting fast but it is at 200 yards. The Eotech will work fine. Just depends on how well you can see and how steady you hold the gun. The standard fundamentals come into play. Just a tip for long range shooting at a smaller target. Adjust your Eotechs brightness down as low as possible to where you can comfortably see the center 1 moa dot. It pretty much eliminates the outer 65 moa dot and all you have to worry about is the small 1 moa dot to put on your target. I have shot 3 inch round pieces of steel at 200 yards dead on many times. Usually the gun can always shoot better than the shooter. Good luck hope you like your Eotech.

Keith

Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2011, 05:03 AM.

Comment

200. I zero everything at 200.

Comment

Working...
                            X