• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Brush Guns

I looked up from my desk the other day and noticed that I had a collection of brush guns forming without even realizing it. A couple of old school rifles and a couple of new versions. Kind of fun

Top to bottom:
    1. The Budget Build 6.5 Grendel
    2. My .458 SOCOM
    3. A Sears Model 54 in 30-30. Basically a re-branded Winchester 94 made in the late 1960's for Sear and Roebucks.
    4. Mossberg 464 iin 30-30

Brush Guns.jpg
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2017

Nice little group. The more things change... right?

Details on the 6.5 and 458?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

The 6.5 was the result of the "Budget Build" thread. Basically it's a BCA 16" upper with a home built lower.

Upgraded parts are:
        Rise Armament drop in trigger
        Trinity Force 6 position stock with two QD mount points, recoil pad and sling slot.
        Trinity Force rubberized grip
        Aero M4E1 lower (no slop between the upper and the lower)

So I'm thinking of my third Grendel build. The first (my go-to hunting rifle) is complete and bloodstained. I'm still playing with the mags but the E-landers are on back order. The second (my truck gun/200 yard coyote killer) has parts on order. I'm hoping that what I learn from the fist two will let me hone in a successful

The 458 is a BCA side charging upper, which was nice because their ejection ports are already large enough for the .458. You don't have to do any machining or file work for the rounds to clear. The barrel and bolt were from Southern Ballistic Research, and the muzzle brake was from Axis Mfg. The Magpul Rifle stock fits it well and it's fun to shoot. There is a noticeable recoil though. A friend of mine did the stippling on the grip. It's actually for sale.

It's with reluctance that I am listing my .458 SOCOM, but I need the funds. Also, I've kind of settled on the 6.5 Grendel for hunting. This round is a beast at 100 yards and the rifle is extremely handy (only 7.6 pounds unloaded). It would make an excellent brush gun. I have exactly 20 rounds through it. The spent brass is
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

My 458 socom considers aspen groves to be brush. I keep a few Alleve in the grip storage compartment!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• earlwb
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

Nice collection of brush guns. You might want a 12 gauge shotgun, maybe a tactical one, for shooting slugs in the brush too. They work well too.

Comment

• Schrambo
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              My 458 socom considers aspen groves to be brush. I keep a few Alleve in the grip storage compartment!
              Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder... My 10.5" 458 SOCOM is set up for 500GR subsonic... Starting to tweak my wrists... I'll pack the Aleve in the handgrip, too!!

Comment

Working...
              X