• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Austkare
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Blood on the new Grendel

Took my 20in grendel rifle huntin yesterday to a friends place. He had mucho deer there so five us went for a meat hunt. He told me he had a buck that had somehow lost both sides of his rack running all the deer out of the field and wanted him shot. No problem I said, if he shows up I will shoot him. Well he did and I did. I was itching to try the 123 sst round on him to see what it could do. I shot him at about 75yrds kinda low behind the shoulder. The deer ran about 80 yds with a good blood trail. The bad news was when I went to find him he was bedded down in the woods looking at me so I put one in the neck and finished it. I rolled him over and the exit wound from the first shot was about the size of a fifty cent piece. I was surprised he was still alive. Next time I'm going for a shoulder hit. No pics of the deer because I didnt take any. I'm going to load up some 100 gr partitions and test them out. By a the way it's my first kill with the grendel.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Congrats on the first kill!

So you didn't like the performance of the SST ammo? Too much damage?
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Austkare
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

No I think the SST did its job, I just was puzzled by the deer not being dead when I got to it. I'm going to shoot one through the shoulders with the sst before the I make a determination. I'm partial to partition bullets so I will load some 100 gr and see how the do. I bet they will be the ticket pushed about 2700 to 2800 ft a second.
      Last edited by Austkare; 12-24-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Redomen
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

You will lose quite a bit of meat with a shoulder shot. It will drop him in his tracks though. I shot a buck through the shoulders with factory 123 SST this year and both shoulders were no good for processing. Found him easy though.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

I got 2 deer with the 123SST, both neck shots. DRT. Just another option if trying to save meat

Comment

• 6.8 klr
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Killed my Buck this year with a high, a little forward, shoulder shot. DRT. No wasted meat.

Comment

• tracker12
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Congrats on the kill. Hoping to have my build as soon as my barrel arrives. Hoping to shed a little hog blood when I head to GA in Jan.
              AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• just_john
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2012

Congrats! Another day well done!

Comment

• Cuppednlocked
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

Congratulations!

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Congratulations on your first deer with a Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                    X